M1888 rod bayonet Trapdoor at flea market.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relay4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Kokomo
    This is a heads up for anyone out there in the market for a nice original Trapdoor Springfield.
    Yesterday, in Bridgeton, Indiana at the covered bridge festival, I ran across an "antique" vendor who had four long guns for sale. One of them is/was a Model 1888 Rod Bayonet Trapdoor.
    I inspected it fairly quickly as my wife was rushing me. It was/is a Model 1888 Rod Bayonet Springfield. The serial number began with a 3, I believe but I could be wrong. The stock had only a few minor dings had a very clear 1892 acceptance stamp a clear proof P stamp and a rack number on the right side of the stock.
    The metal appeared to me to be in very good condition. Much of the bluing had turned a silver grey. There was still some faded case hardening present and there was no external rust present. I didn't have a way to put enough light down the bore to check it's condition but there was no deep rifling at muzzle. From what I could see at the muzzle, the bore was dirty but not rusted and the crown was reasonable for it's age.
    The lock mechanism worked well (no, I didn't dry fire it). The spring was strong and the trigger crisp. It had a notched rear sight and a blade front, no sight cover that I can recall. It was sporting an original two piece leather sling.
    Overall the rifle appeared to be all original and in working order. The price was $1200 but the guy looked hungry and would have probably taken less. It's likely still sitting against that tree, 40 feet SSE of the Black Bart's Rootbeer Stand in Bridgeton, as I write this. I have no gun money at present, had to pass. Oh, well.

Also, he had a nice curley maple Kentuckey Long Rifle leaning against that tree. I could make out on the barrel that it was made in Virginia. These rifles appeared to be original and in descent shapr for their age.

Top Bottom