• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I guess like most firearms purchases it would depend on what you wanted to do with it. I have both and like em both. The Super Match is an excellent rifle for target and long range shooting and the Scout is great for plinking, casual target shooting and for SHTF scenarios. The Scout is much easier to handle and carry in the field as well. :twocents:

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    so how much difference in accuracy between an 18" and a 22" say out to about 500 yds? If its not much id think the less weight would be ideal.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    In my mind, the M1a is not a gun I would use to clear a building with. However, It is a rifle I would use to take a long rang precise shot.

So in my opinion I would get the longest barrel I could for the increases sight radius and velocity, both of which will help downrange performance.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Socoms are commercial junk... they look nice but very few USGI parts...

Go for older serial numbered M1A's.. you want USGI parts..

check this link towards the bottom to find out what parts might be in your M1A

M1A rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmmm....that is strange because my M1A Socom II came with USGI parts including the trigger housing. That is kind of bad information to pass along if it isn't true. :twocents:

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    If I were to get the 18" version and not like it, can u easily buy a 22" barrel and swap them out?

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If I were to get the 18" version and not like it, can u easily buy a 22" barrel and swap them out?

A barrel change would require a gunsmith or a person experienced with the platform. Not something a kitchen table gunsmith can do. I took the plastic stock, scope mount and cut hand guard off my Scout and put the rifle in a nice oiled walnut stock with matching hand guard. Now to change out the flash hider and it'll be done.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you were going to purchase an M1A, which model would you get and why? The 18" or 22" barrel version. Thanks.

The good old basic M14 rife is hard to beat!

For my FIRST ONE, I'd buy the full length 22" barrel, and do my best to buy one that has AS MANY USGI M14 parts as possible.

You'll likely have to look for a good used one, as the new ones tend to have commercial parts in them.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My opinion is the minimum to start with is the "loaded" model, not a lot more money but several upgraded features and parts.

That just depends, My wood stock standard came with a NM front sight and a NM flash hider.

picture.php

Top Bottom