• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I was at the chiropracter's office tonight and happened to pick up a copy of people magazine that was laying there. I read it for the articles.

Anyway, I tripped across a story about a veteran that had issues when he returned. There a picture of him on patrol in Iraq in 2005. I did a double take on the gun. Squinted really hard...looked at it again. Looks like a flippin M1!! Got home just now and realized it is probably a M14...BUT...I didn't even know they still used them. The pics I found of M14s in Afghanistan had black stocks...not the old wood one like this one. It looks just like my M1 in the pic.

Anyone fill me in on the use of them?

416E62B4-7DEA-4794-8B9D-8EBD04C6CD42-11900-00000BF55676AE22_zps6157656a.jpg

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Yah, i was just reading on that. Looks like maybe he was carrying an old M14 and not one of the newer versions they are outfitting troops in Afghanistan with....

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I remember reading somewhere that when we got into Afghanistan the M4 round just didn't go the distance required and both the army and Marines pulled M 14's out of their inventories and reissued them. Some obviously made it to Iraq.

Later, some of the M 14's were restocked in plastic to lighten them a bit.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    If he was a designated marksman, wouldn't the rifle be equipped with some kind of optic?

+1

I would've thought most 7.62 guns in use by the US military today would be sniper type rifles and equipped with an optic. Interesting....

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Up until a few years ago, every state Rifle and Pistol Association was assigned up to a dozen match grade M14's that looked just like the image the OP posted. Including the Indiana Rifle and Pistol Association. These rifles were used in Junior Highpower rifle programs.

When the Army realized they needed something for the designated marksmen over there, they ordered that all of these rifle be returned. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 2005 or 2006.

For those that might not know, the State Associations are the local arm of the NRA and they are what fight local and state gun battles. The NRA fights national issues and supports the State Associations.

www.isrpa.org

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Looks like an M14 with a beech stock and fiberglass hand guard to me. Lots of units had M14s. The Navy has used them since Vietnam. I love my M1As! ;)

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    If I can see it, I can hit it with my M1A NM, with iron sights and the old Mk1 Eyeball, out to roughly 600 meters. My old eyes just can't see stuff beyond that now without the aid of an optic ... it's tough getting old ...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I remember some of the Navy Special units brought the 14s with them for the longer shots needed.
    The Marines finally got to use them a little bit later and then the ARMY IF my son told me correctly. It's been quite a while since he told me that. I'm guessing 2001 -02 probably when he told me because he knows my love for that rifle. I'm not sure when the 14s actually hit service in Iraq though.
    The original 16 was light and light hitting and at the time nothing I ever carried held a candle to the 14 for accuracy out to about 375-400 yds with plenty of killing power. Heavy old beasts but what a rifle it is! Still my favorite military issue rifle.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Its a M14 in the picture. Many did have wood stocks. One guy on another forum talked about having 3 M14's he could use, 2 had wood stocks. They have also captured M1's as well....believe they were IHC, seems we sold about 40,000 of them to Iraq yrs. ago.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Up until a few years ago, every state Rifle and Pistol Association was assigned up to a dozen match grade M14's that looked just like the image the OP posted. Including the Indiana Rifle and Pistol Association. These rifles were used in Junior Highpower rifle programs.

When the Army realized they needed something for the designated marksmen over there, they ordered that all of these rifle be returned. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 2005 or 2006.

For those that might not know, the State Associations are the local arm of the NRA and they are what fight local and state gun battles. The NRA fights national issues and supports the State Associations.

www.isrpa.org

I wasn't aware of this. Sounds like something I'd like to join!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I wasn't aware of this. Sounds like something I'd like to join!

They are a bunch of guys just like you and me who take time from their regular jobs to testify at the State Capital and local town councils to fight for our 2A rights. It is amazing what just a few dedicated individuals have been able to accomplish and ward off.

Most gunowners in the state are not even aware of their State Association. Kirk Freeman on this forum is a Director of the ISRPA.

I invite all to join us. I blow the trumpet every chance I get. Even if you don't join the NRA, you should be a member of your State Association, IMO.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I have a buddy in the mountains of Afghanistan that was reissued m14 wood stock. He said at first he laughed and asked if general Patton was coming by also but said after realizing what it was a shooting it he changed his mind. He says the 556 just isn't enough gun at the range there shooting. Most MP's also carry them he said.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    They may as well be M1A's, since they probably never use full auto. I'd really like an M1A, but they are soooo expensive and for such an old design I cannot believe the price isn't lower. As I recall, my dad shot the M14 in the 70's in the Army, and says they were really expensive then too, which is why they didn't last too long in broad service use. My Rem700 30-06 is sufficient for now for long range work, but I am always looking for an M1A at a reasonable price.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    The M14 has seen service in about every conflict. Amazing how that design, directly conceived by John Garand and from the great M1 Garand rifle, is still serving our country and doing it well. Where the 5.56 comes short, the 30 cal takes up the work.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    They are M1as. They still get used a bunch, but mostly in DM roles and with optics. Most of them in use are EBR/EMRs the originals of which were produced at Crane.

Top Bottom