• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In The Hardwoods
    Pulled 152 grain FMJ from Pat's Reloading, 47 grains of 4895 from GI Brass, Remington 30-0-6 cases from a couple barrels purchased from a firing range & free CCI 200 primers from a LGS shipment which arrived wet. Cheap shooting for sure.

Creeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In The Hardwoods
    Those will shoot about 2 inches at 100 yards for five shoots. Those bullets aren't the best. They are probably out of round a bit. I soaked them in mineral spirits to remove the sealant & run them in the tumbler a while. So while they look pretty good they be not.:(

I used this load in a 700 Remington which I have since rebarreled & haven't fired these in the new barrel.

Creeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In The Hardwoods
    PS: I know what you mean about the projectiles. I have some old Armscorp that shoot the same way..

These bullets were collet pulled & most aren't marked up but still this bullet is probably from way back & are for combat, not targets. I weighed a sample of them while loading these & found them to vary plus or minus a grain from said weight & sometimes even more.

Add to this my 700 has a pretty long throat & the way they are seated is no where near the lands but as they are the base of the bullet isn't half way in the neck.

Creeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In The Hardwoods
    This morning I added a few more to the range box.

I have many 168 grain HPBT bullets I purchased in bulk from Widener's Reloading. These aren't the best but I did sort them by weight. The last of these I tested the results weren't great. I'll give them another try.

The cases are Remington, fired 3 times, primed with Wolf LR primers & charged with 47 grains of surplus IMR 4895, the same powder as the M2 Ball loads above use. The powder is a slow lot with a burning rate closer to IMR 4064.

Made up 25 rounds seated to an 3.470" OAL.

Creeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In The Hardwoods
    Went to the range Tuesday to fire the loads. It was a great day, not too hot maybe 78. I fired 5 shot groups. These bullets aren’t much & I was hoping to obtain 2 inch 5 shot groups. I chose this powder charge wanting something around 2700 FPS. Anyway the results are below.

The range.

The rifle.

The load.

Made a sight adjustment but really don’t remember if I made the adjustment after the first or second shot, both of which are to the left of the bull. This is two 5 shot groups fired at the same bull.

A 5 shot group.

Another 5 shot group.

This is the last 5 shot group after making an elevation adjustment for a 2 inch high POI. The bull is 2 inches in diameter.

I planned to fire a few groups at 300 yards but after 2 shots it began to rain & not wanting to get wet I rushed the last two shots which I think caused the low shot. The upper 3 are in about 6 inches. I was using the 2 inches high at a 100 scope setting & held on the bull with my first lower mil-dot.

Creeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In The Hardwoods
    Next up a fired the 168 grain HPBT bullets which aren’t much good either but they were cheap. I use these for practice & plinking. I found the load in the fourth printing of a 1967 Pacific Rifle/Pistol Cartridge Reloading Manual. These are 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

The Load.

First 5.

Second 5.

Third 5.

Creeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In The Hardwoods
    I read about M2 Ball loads years ago but its been awhile. Seem I read about 2 inch groups are about the norm. Perhaps someone else will jump in here.

Top Bottom