• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I wanted to see how many rounds I could put through my M4, without field stripping it and only doing a basic cleaning. Which consisted of swabbing the barrel, spraying the bolt down with gun scrub, and oiling the bolt with some rem-oil. To date I have ran just over 1,200 rounds through my Bushmaster. I started having feeding issues toward the end of my range session. So, it's time to field strip it. I did not put it through any crazy tests, it was strictly shot at the range.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sounds about right. We have guys that come to class wanting to test this and not touching their gun to see how long it will go. Usually about midway through the second day, they need to give it some attention. You will of course have widely varying responses to this but, IME this is about average. How do you feel about that performance?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Sounds about right. We have guys that come to class wanting to test this and not touching their gun to see how long it will go. Usually about midway through the second day, they need to give it some attention. You will of course have widely varying responses to this but, IME this is about average. How do you feel about that performance?

Does there appear to be any correlation of those guns that are run "wet" vs. those that are run "dry?" Or between those who use an "old fashioned" oil vs. those who use one of the newer wonder oils (Break Free, etc)??

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

Up until yesterday I had ran just over 1,000 rounds through it. Other then some major feed issues with Remingtom ammunition, I have been very pleased with the performance. I have been running it dry except for light oiling of the bolt. I'll post some pics up when I get it striped.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Does there appear to be any correlation of those guns that are run "wet" vs. those that are run "dry?" Or between those who use an "old fashioned" oil vs. those who use one of the newer wonder oils (Break Free, etc)??

From what I have seen, I am definitely in the run'em wet camp. Often that is all the guys have to do to keep going, add some oil. As far as wonder oils, I haven't seen a big difference, for me its mobil 1.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I used to be in the clean em everyday after shooting camp. I now only clean them quarterly or so. But I do lube them often. I use just about any oil as long as the bolt carrier group is wet. I have run over 2000 without swabbing a barrel or even a field strip. I just generously put lube on the bolt.
    I came to this conclusion after attending Pat Rogers a few years ago. I hate to think of all the time I wasted cleaning the AR system over the years.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Glad you reported back on this Patriot. Mine is a range/truck gun, but I hate cleaning it after every shooting trip. Maybe I'll try the quarterly approach, that'd be close to 1k rounds in my guesstimate.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I'm at about 400 rounds through a low end AR now without any cleaning. Unfortunately, I don't think the AR/M16/M4 will ever be able to lose the "unreliable" myths.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I ran my RRA through 3500 rounds without so much as wiping the BCG off. I added lube before each range session but that was it. I finally cleaned it after the 3500 round mark but only because I was beginning to feel guilty.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Used to run multiple carbine classes without cleaning (even with suppressor), just drops of lube (I like SLIP2000) on the holes.

Didn't Pat Rogers put 15,000 rounds through a Bravo AR? Couple of years ago? Was that in SWAT or 10-8 forums?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I went 13k before I even attempted to clean mine. And then it was just a chamber and BCG wipe down so I could see the broke case I had in the chamber lol. Just a gave it a little oil on range trips.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Used to run multiple carbine classes without cleaning (even with suppressor), just drops of lube (I like SLIP2000) on the holes.

Didn't Pat Rogers put 15,000 rounds through a Bravo AR? Couple of years ago? Was that in SWAT or 10-8 forums?

IRC it was 26k rounds

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I always have been curious about people doing that, not cleaning their gun for a bunch of rounds.Not just with the AR but with any guns, pistols including.
    Is there any potential problems that could occur, like rust or things that you would not be able to clean after too many rounds without cleaning the gun?

Let's say you dont clean your gun for a whole year and you put 5000 rounds thru it during that year, I would think you would have rust issue and that it would be quite hard to clean after all that tight right

I clean my guns all the time even if I dont shoot them and if they are clean already, so I wouldnt imagine not cleaning them while shooting them.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I always have been curious about people doing that, not cleaning their gun for a bunch of rounds.Not just with the AR but with any guns, pistols including.
    Is there any potential problems that could occur, like rust or things that you would not be able to clean after too many rounds without cleaning the gun?

Let's say you dont clean your gun for a whole year and you put 5000 rounds thru it during that year, I would think you would have rust issue and that it would be quite hard to clean after all that tight right

I clean my guns all the time even if I dont shoot them and if they are clean already, so I wouldnt imagine not cleaning them while shooting them.

I always clean my guns after a day at the range. However, I was curious about the M4 though. My AK on the other hand, never gets cleaned.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/filthy14_oct10.pdf

Article on "Filthy 14", good memory cwood. Cleaning occurs when I get around to it, sometimes not for months. Quality tools should work even if they are dirty.

That's why my AK is my go to rifle. Nothing against the M4, I love it. However, my AK goes bang every time and has never malfunctioned. No matter how dirty it is. Also, at ranges up to 100 yards, I'm only slightly more accurate with my M4.

Top Bottom