M995 5.56mm ammo is it legal to own and buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think it’s ever been offered for civilian sale so it’s gonna be hard to say you’re not in possession of stolen gov property.

I could be wrong though and google isn’t being helpful. You do you.

I personally like my dog too much to take the risk.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw 20 round boxes of black tip 5.56 at the 1500, unsure on the grain. $3/round or so...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The CMP sold cases of 30-06 black tip a few years ago. I do not believe Indiana has any rule against.
    I found this about it this morning.

"The law stipulates that M2 .30-06 AP is not illegal, mostly because it does not have a steel core. The M855 has a penetrator cap in it's core but is not comprised solely of one of the listed materials (brass, tungsten, etc.), ergo it is not considered armor piercing.

The M995 ammo contains a large steel penetrator in it's core with an aluminum cup to center it, so it is considered armor-piercing. Since it is a rifle munition it is legal to own, possess, shoot, etc. so long as it is in a rifle."

Now as it says as long as it's a rifle does that mean a ar15 pistol would make it illegal?

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Now as it says as long as it's a rifle does that mean a ar15 pistol would make it illegal?
    Technically. Sorta.
    I think you conflating Federal and State law, which is understandable as the laws are nearly identical.

To be considered "Armor Piercing" under Federal law the round must 1. have a steel, tungsten, bronze, etc. core that MAY BE used in a handgun or 2. a fully jacketed bullet >.22 DESIGNED AND INTENDED to be fired from a handgun where >1/4 of bullet mass comes from the jacket.

Under State law round must 1. have a steel, tungsten, bronze, etc. core that was DESIGNED AND INTENDED to be used in a handgun or 2. a fully jacketed bullet >.22 DESIGNED AND INTENDED to be fired from a handgun where >1/4 of bullet mass comes from the jacket.

The wording there is the key part. Was M995 designed to be fired from a pistol, no. Can it be fired from a pistol, yes. M2AP and M855 have an exemption from the AG, whereas M995 does not.

All said, you should be fine by the state and the Fed may not like it, but in all actuality the likelihood of being charged outside of a enhancement for another felony is highly unlikely.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Don't shoot at anything you don't intend to kill and I think you should be fine... im not sure if I intended purple or not.

I'm assuming if someone owns any, they didn't buy it to plink with. So if it's a collectable for said person, cool. If it's for the designed purpose, well then. I think we're part the point of caring what the law is. As far as legal... so far it reads as, more legal than half the crap the govt does..

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don't shoot at anything you don't intend to kill and I think you should be fine... im not sure if I intended purple or not.

I'm assuming if someone owns any, they didn't buy it to plink with. So if it's a collectable for said person, cool. If it's for the designed purpose, well then. I think we're part the point of caring what the law is. As far as legal... so far it reads as, more legal than half the crap the govt does..
    If I was facing an enemy with no armor I'll take a hunting rd over AP or FMJ any day. If the enemy is armored definitely want AP rds that will pen body armor. Does China outfit their troops with body armor?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There used to be a rule that if it can be fired in a pistol, armor piercing ammo is illegal for civilians.
    I don't know if this is still true, or if true is enforced.

I remember a story from several years ago about a company coming out with and selling a pistol that shoots .308.
    It was then said that .308/7.62 armor piercing ammo was then made illegal for civilians because there was a pistol made that would shoot it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    If I was facing an enemy with no armor I'll take a hunting rd over AP or FMJ any day. If the enemy is armored definitely want AP rds that will pen body armor. Does China outfit their troops with body armor?
    I don't think so, I think it's more of body armor through body count type of thing. They have more bodies than we have ammo... or so they are working at.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't think so, I think it's more of body armor through body count type of thing. They have more bodies than we have ammo... or so they are working at.
    Surely they have learned that suicide charges don't work from Korea and Vietnam. I mean if they tried that here were we are actively defending our country we would pile millions of them up in a short period. Hopefully we maintain air superiority.

That's if they can get past our Navy.... unless they sneak into Mexico and bring in a few million on our southern border.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Surely they have learned that suicide charges don't work from Korea and Vietnam. I mean if they tried that here were we are actively defending our country we would pile millions of them up in a short period. Hopefully we maintain air superiority.

That's if they can get past our Navy.... unless they sneak into Mexico and bring in a few million on our southern border.
    They actually have a base on the Canadian border approved by the pm himself

Top Bottom