• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    Hello, this is my first post, so go easy on me. I am interested in buying a machine gun. However, I am confused on which ones I may be allowed to purchase. I am not a dealer, nor do I have my own FFL. I don't understand all the terminology associated with getting one. I need some guidance on which ones would be available to a civilian. Thanks.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    VUPDBlue put together this nice FAQ about the NFA, which talks about machine guns to get you a general over view of the NFA process:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...85-ingunowners-faqs-sticky-2.html#post1761124

Scutter01 put together this nice thread showing, from a beginner's perspective, how he navigated getting his first NFA item:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/26144-nfa-beginners-perspective.html

Before you dive into specifics guns, I highly recommend you use this above resources and others (plenty of great stuff on this forum and others) to make sure you understand the NFA and the concept of transferrable machine guns first. Once you have a solid idea there, then you can dive into specific weapons.

I'm not just trying to throw a bunch of links at you and discourage you from asking questions. I'm just trying to prevent a lot of rehashing of already well done material.

Now, once you've done all that, there is plenty to discuss in terms of first guns. It really depends on what you are into. Are you interested in military type weapon or more of a range toy? Are you a military history buff, so you might be interested in a WWI or WWII machine gun, or would you prefer to stay more modern?

A lot of people, who aren't already independently wealthy :), tend to start on the lower end of transferables (MACs, Reisings, Stemples, and few others). To start with one of these "cheaper" guns, expect to spend anywhere from $4,000 to $8,000. It continues to increase steeply from there (extremely steeply). It's easy to spend $20,000 or $30,000 on some of the more common transferables out there. I will warn you though, NFA firearms can be really addictive. Many a person has started into this saying, "I just want X and then I'm done" only to end up with a collection of machine guns, SBRs, suppressors, and, hopefully soon, SBSs.

One big thing I will recommend right up front is get a Trust. If nothing else, if for no other reason than ease of dealing with access to the machine gun by other people you live with (spouse, kids, whoever) and inheritance.... plus it makes filing Form 1s way easier down the road, if you decide to get further into the NFA world and make your own SBRs or suppressors.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You know I just noticed that you posted in Scutter01's thread that I referenced up above, indicating you already own a suppressor. So, sorry for the big NFA lecture, as you already know most of it.

So, really the big difference between machine guns and other NFA items is that thanks to the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owner Protection Act of '86, no new machineguns can be registered with the ATF after May, 1986. That means they effectively capped the number of machineguns that are available for normal people (i.e. non-police or military) to acquire. Because of that limitation, there are only a few hundred thousand (or less) transferable machine guns available. The law of supply and demand says that with a fixed supply and an ever increasing demand, prices will sky rocket.

The key questions are then back to the ones I posted above:

• Are you interested in military type weapon or more of a range toy?
    • Are you a military history buff, so you might be interested in a WWI or WWII machine gun, or would you prefer to stay more modern?
    • Are you interested in a pistol caliber weapon or rifle caliber (or would you like to be able to do both)?
    • What's your budget?

I think with those questions answered, we can help zero you in on some guns to look at and give you a feel for prices ranges.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Beowulf covers the ownership pretty well. Figure out how much money you want to spend, with that figure in mind hit a big gun show or go to Knob Creek so you can see and possibly handle one you find interesting also giving you an idea on prices. Ammo and the type of shooting you want to do are a consideration, sub guns are tops here as they cost less to shoot.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The Knob Creek machinegun shoot and show is this weekend. Some of the dealers that will be there are friendly and helpful. There is also a rental range where you can pay to shoot, that way you can get an idea of what type(s) of full-auto guns you will enjoy most. I will be in and out of booth C-10 all weekend, so feel free to stop by and say hello.

Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the help guys! I think I am leaning toward a Mack 11 right now, long term and once I save more pennies, I will be looking at a M16. For now, I think something along the lines of the Mack 11 will scratch the itch I currently have. I have been to a couple different ranges and shot several machine guns. This is why I am hooked. A Tommy Gun would be nice too, but again, probably down the line a bit.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Thanks for the help guys! I think I am leaning toward a Mack 11 right now, long term and once I save more pennies, I will be looking at a M16. For now, I think something along the lines of the Mack 11 will scratch the itch I currently have. I have been to a couple different ranges and shot several machine guns. This is why I am hooked. A Tommy Gun would be nice too, but again, probably down the line a bit.

If you don't mind spending some money to customize it, a MAC can be a nice sub-gun. Consider a slow-fire conversion with AR-style stock and a forward pistol grip. Also, Lage makes a nifty upper that makes these guns more user friendly.

Top Bottom