• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Did a quick search and didn't find a review of these anywhere.

My wife, bless her heart, actually bought me some gun gear this Christmas. Among the items she got for me is a pair of Mack's Live Fire electronic ear muffs. They were a clearance item for $45 or there about.

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/shooting-ear-plugs/live-fire-black

This evening was the first chance I had to use them. Used them in an indoor range and here are some of my observations while using them:

The volume is adjustable, naturally, and they also have a bass/treble control. The bass/treble I didn't mess with because they sound fine out of the box, at least for me. Each side has its own set of controls. The controls are easy to locate and adjust while wearing them, so once you have them on adjust away.

Loud cracks, from hand guns as this range only allows handguns, are quickly muffled and regular hearing is restored pronto. Sound is restored quick enough that at first I wasn't sure they were working properly but realized my eardrums probably would have been damaged if they weren't working. Initial reports are muffled but the echoes aren't, simply because they are below the muffling threshold.

With multi-directional inputs it was easy to determine where sounds were coming from. Went with a friend from work and it was easy to carry on a conversation with him unless someone was rapid firing. In which case I'd only hear bits and pieces of what he was saying.

Battery life seems to be pretty good. My youngest boy got a hold of them after I had opened them, put in the batteries (only one AAA per side), and checked for fit and to see how they sounded/worked and he left one side turned on. Which had been on for about two weeks before I discovered it last night getting ready for the range trip.

These are my first electronic ear muffs, but not the first I've used. I cannot remember the brand of the first ones because that was more than a few years ago at an NFA shoot. But I'm impressed and recommend them.

Top Bottom