• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Well I decided it was time to give up plinking with the Tokarev and get a small carry gun instead. So this weekend I sold off the TTC and got a Ruger LC9.

Heading up to Elkhart to see my parents this weekend, and Dad and I are heading to the range. Can't wait to try the LC9 out.

Mglii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    the LC9 has a tricky trigger pull and a short sight radius, combined with a really thin feeling grip if you have larger hands. It takes some practice so don't get frustrated the first trip to the range. once you get the hang of it it is not too bad of a shooter for being a small gun.

Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Thanks for the advise Mglii. I was reading a bunch of reviews and they all seemed to agree that with sub-compacts you have to practice with them a lot to be effective. The only other double action I have ever had was a Taurus PT22 so the trigger is going to take me the longest to learn I think. When I get back from the range I'll come back and post how I did.

Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Will post as soon as I get back from the range next Monday (Christmas Eve) this week really needs to hurry up and get over with.

Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Just my luck. Just looked at calendar and I make plans to shoot on Monday and the freaking world ends on Friday! Just never going to get a break.:D

Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Went to Midwest this morning right when they opened at 10am. Had to run a couple magazines through my daughter Tokarev to start the day then got out the LC9

First let me say I have big fat hands. But I new going in the a sub-compact was going to take a lot of practice to get comfortable with.

It functioned flawlessly with the 50 rounds of Winchester 115grain FMJ I picked up for the day.

It also seems to shoot at point of aim, so no site adjustments were needed. The first shot was dead center of the bullseye.

From there it all went downhill, but it was not the gun's fault other than the heavy recoil. It wasn't unmanageable but was more than I was used to. I would equate it to shooting a .46ACP 1911.

The problem was I had a major shoulder surgery a couple months ago, and the Tokarev's weak recoil doesn't do much, but the LC9 quickly tired my shoulder and bicep to the point I could hold the site steady.

At that point I decided there was no use shooting more and honestly I was start to feel in danger of not shooting where I was aiming and I called it a day at 50 rounds.

Couple hours later my hand is sore from the checkering of the grips, and my shoulder and bicep are on fire from the strain.

Of course, I'm going back as soon as I can.

I love the LC9.

Easy to conceal, plenty of power, reliable and works great.

The only failings today were mine, and will go away with more practice and therapy.

Thanks to all and have a merry Christmas.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom