• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    And I already know what to do to make the next one better. LOL I went to a Landwerlen Leather downtown and got some scrap leather and some other supplies. Rod was verry helpfull in getting me just what I needed to get started. That way if it didn't turn out I wasn't out a ton of cash. I am into this holster for 17.00 bucks so far. I still need to dye and seal it. It feels mych better than the leather/kydex stuff I have been using. And now for a pic. Don't laugh.
    imag0423o.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    :rofl: j/k :D Not to shabby. The moulding work looks good. A little stitch refining and you're there. Nice job :yesway:

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Really nice first holster. My first is just wrong.
    Landwerlen is a very cool place to check out. It's like 2012 as you walk in and then 1912 when you get inside.
    You need to work on your edges. It's easy but time consuming.
    Also it looks like you might have got it to wet when molding.
    You want it wet but not soaked. 15 seconds will do it.
    Check out leatherworker.net if you havnt yet. Lots of info and great advice on edges and all aspects of leatherwork.

Great start.
    CJ

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If that is an IWB, you are going to want to at least stitch in a mouth reinforcement for the opening so it doesn't collapse.

Looks pretty good. Make sure you stitches are at least a quarter inch from the edge as well. Good first though.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Thanks guys.
    I do need to work on the stiching. They have a tool to help you place them I might look into getting it. I did get it too wet the first time. The second one is going to have a support to keep it opened up. I need to find a better way to cut the shapes out. I used scissors the first time and it's not working to good. They have a knive for it but it's like 65.00 and I dont want to get into that.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Get an xacto. They are like two dollars and work fantastic. Also, get a groover (20 bucks at tandy). It will create a nice even line for your stitching (as well as bury it for a smoother surface)

I don't use an awl, I groove and set it up and drill a line of small holes to set up for my saddle stitch. Using the awl didn't work for me (way too long for my time constraints)

Seriously, their knife isn't necessary, and its over priced.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Get an xacto. They are like two dollars and work fantastic. Also, get a groover (20 bucks at tandy). It will create a nice even line for your stitching (as well as bury it for a smoother surface)

I don't use an awl, I groove and set it up and drill a line of small holes to set up for my saddle stitch. Using the awl didn't work for me (way too long for my time constraints)

Seriously, their knife isn't necessary, and its over priced.

I will check out the Xacto knive. I used a drill press and some small bits lol.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    I had a round knife and had no luck with it. Just about cut my thumb off. Sold on eBay.
    I use a large pair if shears. Got them at Tandy for around $20. You can get them at Lowes or any of the hardware stores maybe for less.
    Started out with an exacto and didn't have good results with it but everyone is different.
    Great job again.
    CJ

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I use an exacto to score the lines of the pattern, and then shove it through when I'm all the way around and it just follows the score line.

I used to fumble with a scalpel, and the exacto knife just works for me :)

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    And I already know what to do to make the next one better. LOL I went to a Landwerlen Leather downtown and got some scrap leather and some other supplies. Rod was verry helpfull in getting me just what I needed to get started. That way if it didn't turn out I wasn't out a ton of cash. I am into this holster for 17.00 bucks so far. I still need to dye and seal it. It feels mych better than the leather/kydex stuff I have been using. And now for a pic. Don't laugh.
    imag0423o.jpg

Looks nice, but I have to say...

If you wear it like that, the gun'll drop out... :D

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    Wow, love it! I'll be showing this to my children, they do leather in 4-H, and my oldest is old enough to do his own pattern. He'd have lots of help with the local leather guild as well. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom