• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    so after reading this tutorial, I decided that I wanted to build a holster.

Of course, I've never sewed anything in my life so I decided that, rather than waste a good piece of leather, I'd start with a bag of scraps I got from hobby lobby for 3 bucks. Not the best leather in the world, but I'm sure I'll screw this up, so no big deal.

6984015826_f1d4ae3dd8_z.jpg

package looked like this. Whole bunch of crap you can't use for a holster, but I'll find somewhere for it on other projects.

6984016326_4b8018658a_z.jpg

what it looked like. The white is thicker and would probably be better, but it's not wide enough for a holster.

6984016718_114635687d_z.jpg

Laid out where my belt should be and how thick it is.

6984017204_d0c980e03a_z.jpg

Playing around with different shapes and belt hole locations and such.

7130101827_220ca7ea22_z.jpg

shape/cant I ended up going with. I've never actually had a leather holster, so I was pretty much winging it there.

6984018424_5951893b2f_z.jpg

template number two. Left about a half an inch all the way around it so there'd be room for the pistol.

6984019464_502246ab34_z.jpg

Cutting the templates out using my handy dandy smith and wesson emt shears.

6984020472_17a175d6fb_z.jpg

Cut out the belt loop holes with an xacto.

6984021436_6fd7e5d00c_z.jpg

the front and back pieces. One's brown and one's black, but, like I said, it's from scraps.

7130107605_2f7c34a6e0_z.jpg

Clamped the two pieces together and drilled all the holes on my drill press.

6984024410_b24257d42a_z.jpg

used an awl made for stitching canvas sails and such. worked great with the waxed thread.

7130108609_5ef003981f_z.jpg

working my way around. There's a huuuuge learning curve here for me, but once I got the technique down it's smooth sailing.

7130109633_323b56b2d1_z.jpg

one side down. You'll notice I got a little drill press happy on the other side because I just wasn't paying attention. Good thing the leather was cheap.

7130110195_2feb73e87b_z.jpg

Getting there. Still needs belt loop slots and some molding.

7130110781_de0f1423a8_z.jpg

The sides weren't EXACTLY the same, and most people use a sanding drum on a dremel to fix that. Well I'm fresh out of sanding drums, but an 80 grit flapper on a die grinder works great.

7130111803_dd681e2c88_z.jpg

I dont own a leather punch to do the belt slots, but I did pick this thing up at a salvation army for a dollar or so. It's an industrial single hole leather punch.

7130112225_304978cb34_z.jpg

How it works. Won't do much in the depth department, but it'll do for now. I have other methods for my next one.

7130112705_b01924efb6_z.jpg

Holes done. Had to make one longer because the belt wouldn't fit in it. Lol

6984029628_be455c8f7c_z.jpg

Slots cut out. Need something better than an xacto for the next one.

7130113827_ecf307e5a5_z.jpg

All done for now. Still need to line the edges with something. It's still wet, hence the bag around the gun, but you get the idea. Seems to fit great. I don't carry my 1911. I just picked up a 3913NL for that. I just wanted something to hold it when walking around friend's properties to shoot. All in all I'm pretty excited about it for a first one. Next time I'll swing by Tandy Leather, but it's an hour away from me, so I couldn't justify the expense for something I was probably going to screw up. Lol.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks! I screwed up a lot, but for my first one, the fact that the gun fits in it and it doesn't fall off my belt means that I'm happy. Lol.

I think I had about 4 bucks in the materials on it, so i'm very happy with that. I think I'm going to make a similar one for my 3913. Hopefully it'll come out better.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks! I screwed up a lot, but for my first one, the fact that the gun fits in it and it doesn't fall off my belt means that I'm happy. Lol.

I think I had about 4 bucks in the materials on it, so i'm very happy with that. I think I'm going to make a similar one for my 3913. Hopefully it'll come out better.

I would be just happy if I didn't hurt myself with all those tools, so finishing the holster is really great. :):

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Haha, well the one tool I don't have and need is a stitch groover. I think that'd really help with keeping my stitching in a straight line, but hobby lobby doesn't carry them, unfortunately.

I'll pick one up soon enough, though. Or something that'll work, at least.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My first also was a belt slide for a 1911. One thing I wish I had done was reenforce the opening as mine collapses.

A stitch groover is a huge must, otherwise the non-sunk threads will fray and come loose on the inside from the slide, and the thread may rub on stuff and fray.

I prefer the xacto knife for cutting. One thing you could do for the belt slot is drill both ends for the curved portion and then cut a straight line between.

It is addictive as hell. I have 3 holsters I've been trying to throw together for a friend of the family and I haven't had time. After that I'm going to make some sort of custom OWB for my g19.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Haha, well the one tool I don't have and need is a stitch groover. I think that'd really help with keeping my stitching in a straight line, but hobby lobby doesn't carry them, unfortunately.

I'll pick one up soon enough, though. Or something that'll work, at least.

Yeah dont buy all the expensive stuff first and then realize that you suck at making holsters.
    Better start with few tools and get more as you get better.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Well I ended up punching the ends for the belt slot. It was the cutting a straight line inbetween thing that didn't work so well, but I think the blades for my xacto were just old.

To cut out the initial shape I just ended up using those emt shears. Worked great. I'll remember that about the stitch groover, though. I was looking for one, but it's just not one of the leathercraft tools they carry, apparently.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah dont buy all the expensive stuff first and then realize that you suck at making holsters.
    Better start with few tools and get more as you get better.

Definitely. I have a ton of tools due to my never ceasing fascination with building stuff (guitars, guns, cars, motorcycles, etc.), but none of them have anything to do with leather work, so I'm trying to make do with what I have until I think it's something worth investing in.

acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    Funny thing was I was walking through Hobby Lobby with my wife the other day, saw the leather in there and the same thought crossed my mind. Guess I'll have to try it.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Well i posted this on TNgunowners, too (I live in both. Long story), and one of the members said that the stuff in hobby lobby is probably chrome tanned leather, so it's not good for holster making, but it seems good enough to practice on, so I'm fine with that. For my carry gun's holster that I'd use often I plan on going to a Tandy Leather store about 40 minutes away and getting the correct vegetable tanned full grain leather, which is what you're supposed to use.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Hey I have made a few and I will tell you thats not the kind of leather you want to use. You need to find some veggetable tanned undyed leather. Don't get the chrome tanned stuff it wont work either. If you are close to Indy it's well worth the drive downtown to Landwerlen leather. Talk to Rod and he will get you just what you need.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I know that's not the leather that should be used. That was just being used for practice.

Yeah it looks like you are off to a good start. Much better than the first few I tried to make lol. I triend the bag stuff and working with the veggetable tanned stuff is a different world. It cuts like butter with an exacto knife and the wet forming part is just cool. I have made holsters for everything but my AR lol. Landwerlen had a big barrel full of scraps thats like .65 centa a pound. Not sure what the hobby lobby sells a bag for. But you can get quie a bit of leather for a few bucks. He also has all the dyes and sealers.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    That bag was 3 bucks, but had a lot of stuff that was unusable for me. I'm staying outside Knoxville, TN, currently (I jump back and forth between TN and IN) and there's a Tandy leather store about 40 minutes away from me, but I just couldn't justify the drive for something I was probably going to mess up. Lol

I will for the next one, though, now that I've got the process somewhat down.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Nice Job! It's just plain cool makin' yer own stuff. And +1 to the above posts.

Chrome-tanned leather will rust your guns - use vegetable-tanned only!

Tandy usually has a bucket of scraps that you can just take what you want. They also have patterns and will offer tons-o-help if you just ask. Here is one holster for my 1873 SAAs - the knife sheath is what came with it - I have to make a new one. I glued two layers together so I have smooth side out on both surfaces. You can also se where the bullet loops will eventually go.

Holster.jpg

Good luck!

ol' poke

Top Bottom