• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Went into a small gun shop in Marshall Indiana today and checked out a P99 in 9mm. Why oh why did I do that.:rolleyes:

While I like my SR9, the Walther felt better in my hand. Walther's fatter and more rounded grip just felt better. Haven't had a chance to actually shoot one yet though.:(

Anyone here have both and if so what are your opinions. Anyone here open to letting me shoot a few rounds thru their P99? I'd supply the ammo of your choice.:yesway:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The P99 grip feels good, but the standard trigger S U C K S. Do yourself a favor and seek out a PPQ instead; grip is even better, and the trigger is much smoother, lighter and more consistent.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    The P99 grip feels good, but the standard trigger S U C K S. Do yourself a favor and seek out a PPQ instead; grip is even better, and the trigger is much smoother, lighter and more consistent.

Really? Not questioning your experience but I've always read that the P99 AS trigger was pretty nice.:dunno: I like the decocker the P99 has. The PPQ does not have it does it?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Really? Not questioning your experience but I've always read that the P99 AS trigger was pretty nice.:dunno:

Compared to what? I've shot several variations of P99 over the years, and the AS trigger would be my absolute last choice, for the reasons outlined below. YMMV.

From Wikipedia:
    This variant comes closest to a traditional Double-Action/Single-Action trigger with a decocker. In Double-Action mode the internal striker is at rest with no pre-load and the trigger travel is 0.55 in long at approximately 8.5 lbf trigger pull. When the slide is racked completely to the rear upon (re)loading, the internal striker is manually pre-cocked to Single-Action mode and the trigger remains in the forward position for the first shot and the Anti Stress mode is activated. The trigger travel is 0.55 in long in the Anti Stress mode at approximately 4.5 lbf trigger pull. On all subsequent shots, the P99AS is automatically pre-cocked and the trigger travel is reduced to 0.3 in at the same 4.5 lbf trigger pull. For manually deactivating the Anti Stress mode and setting the pistol to Double-Action mode the P99AS features a decock key or knob on the slide. The Anti Stress mode can also be manually activated by moving the slide approximately 0.4 in back

1) The AS trigger has 3 different modes of operation, with 3 distinct trigger pull lengths and weights. Call me silly, but I'm a big believer in the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) when it comes to defensive firearms.

2) In the "Anti-Stress" mode, you have an extremely long but very light first stage, until the trigger hits the single-action point, where it then stacks up and finally breaks. This feels very much like the Taurus PT709 trigger, which also sucks. Very hard to shoot quickly and accurately.

3) Unless you carry the gun in single-action mode all the time (which defeats the purpose of having the AS trigger in the first place), your first shot will also feel substantially different from all your subsequent shots - a shortcoming of all traditional DA/SA pistols that takes a lot of training and practice to master.

If I was forced to carry a P99, I'd opt for the QA or DAO trigger systems.

I like the decocker the P99 has. The PPQ does not have it does it?

No, the PPQ has an entirely different trigger mechanism (feel is reminiscent of a Springfield XD) and lacks a decocker.

hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    I have the P99 A/S 9mm and liked it so much I bought the 40cal version too. Some people think the .40 is too harsh for the frame but, I carry it everyday and shoot it whenever the mood strikes me. The trigger, decocker, and the weight is perfect! The ergonomics of the P99 is bar none the best I have held. The accessories for it are ample and the SW99 mags are a perfect fit. You really cant go wrong with the Walther. Did I mention, it is the James Bond gun post 1998...

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Must agree with Shooter on this one. I picked up my new PPQ today and there's nothing like it. Although I haven't shot loads of pistols, of the ones I've handled, the PPQ ergonomics are second to none. Trigger is pretty sweet too:)

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a special feeling for the *older* version of P99, and it has to be the AS (traditional double action) version. It has to have the old non-standard rail, the rear/tail end with downward dip, the squared trigger guard with lower lip in front, a bump at the bottom inside, and fine half-height serrations. The James Bond gun used by Pierce Brosnan:

P99_JBII.jpg

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin

I have to second the PPQ love. I went in looking for a P99, but the PPQ wanted to go home with me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I love my P99 and I have no problem with the AS trigger. Gun is very accurate for a service pistol. The only complaint I have about the P99 is the high bore axis and the gun wanting to torque up and to the right upon recoil. It makes it a somewhat difficult gun to control and get back on target quickly. But the ergonomics are excellent.

And to answer the OP, yes INGOers are welcome to shoot any of my guns.

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Compared to what? I've shot several variations of P99 over the years, and the AS trigger would be my absolute last choice, for the reasons outlined below. YMMV.

From Wikipedia:
    This variant comes closest to a traditional Double-Action/Single-Action trigger with a decocker. In Double-Action mode the internal striker is at rest with no pre-load and the trigger travel is 0.55 in long at approximately 8.5 lbf trigger pull. When the slide is racked completely to the rear upon (re)loading, the internal striker is manually pre-cocked to Single-Action mode and the trigger remains in the forward position for the first shot and the Anti Stress mode is activated. The trigger travel is 0.55 in long in the Anti Stress mode at approximately 4.5 lbf trigger pull. On all subsequent shots, the P99AS is automatically pre-cocked and the trigger travel is reduced to 0.3 in at the same 4.5 lbf trigger pull. For manually deactivating the Anti Stress mode and setting the pistol to Double-Action mode the P99AS features a decock key or knob on the slide. The Anti Stress mode can also be manually activated by moving the slide approximately 0.4 in back

1) The AS trigger has 3 different modes of operation, with 3 distinct trigger pull lengths and weights. Call me silly, but I'm a big believer in the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) when it comes to defensive firearms.

2) In the "Anti-Stress" mode, you have an extremely long but very light first stage, until the trigger hits the single-action point, where it then stacks up and finally breaks. This feels very much like the Taurus PT709 trigger, which also sucks. Very hard to shoot quickly and accurately.

3) Unless you carry the gun in single-action mode all the time (which defeats the purpose of having the AS trigger in the first place), your first shot will also feel substantially different from all your subsequent shots - a shortcoming of all traditional DA/SA pistols that takes a lot of training and practice to master.

If I was forced to carry a P99, I'd opt for the QA or DAO trigger systems.

No, the PPQ has an entirely different trigger mechanism (feel is reminiscent of a Springfield XD) and lacks a decocker.

OPt for a DAO?
    I love the trigger on my AS. Want to find out how bad the AS trigger is search the Walther P99 forum. I think you will find the AS trigger is rated higher then the QA or DAO trigger systems.

Jdalton765

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Muncie, Indiana
    I had the SW99, which from what i heard is completly identical to the P99 and absolutely loved it, I recently sold it to get a block and actually regret it, was much happier with the SW99

Top Bottom