Mag Tactical Nano 9mm Carbine from Centerfire Review!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    No, you're not. Big difference from a small bolt handle on the non-firer side and a large one on the firer-side upper receiver. The SCAR has it up by the operating rod/piston and not so much in your face.

That left/right distinction is hard for a lot of folks to get down. Maybe they don't know the finger trick?...

I didn't want to crap on the thread, that's why I didn't bring it up, but that is my issue. Many firearms successfully have a reciprocating charging handle. non of them are that large, and that close to the shooter on the body side of the rifle. Ill leave it at that though.

Very valid points, but as a left handed shooter I reply Bwahahahahahaha!

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I just ordered mine last week, already waiting at my FFL's shop. Do you know if the barrel is a standard AR-15 patterned barrel? The handguard looks to be standard AR15 equipment from UTG. So could I say, swap in a CMMG 8.7" 9mm AR-15 barrel after a Form 1?

this is a great question I don't have the knowledge to answer. Anyone?

jpap967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    this is a great question I don't have the knowledge to answer. Anyone?

Looks like a standard 9mm barrel extension from inside the chamber. I haven't removed the UTG slim rail yet since I don;t have the specialized barrel nut wrench, but I plan on using a strap wrench to do so soon. I assume that it must be a standard 9mm AR-15 barrel. Form 1 is going to be filed soon after and this baby is gonna be one sweet SBR. ;)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Looks like a standard 9mm barrel extension from inside the chamber. I haven't removed the UTG slim rail yet since I don;t have the specialized barrel nut wrench, but I plan on using a strap wrench to do so soon. I assume that it must be a standard 9mm AR-15 barrel. Form 1 is going to be filed soon after and this baby is gonna be one sweet SBR. ;)

Tagged for interest.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Looks cool! :thumbsup:

Not sure I'd call it a "Nano", though. Sure looks 'a bit' bigger than the Beretta of the same name, LOL!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    So, is it all Aluminum (upper/Lower, etc?)
    Barrel threaded 1/2-28 or -36?
    Is it shorter than a 'standard' AR? Is the distance between the takedown pins less than on an AR?
    If you have an AR, any chance of getting a side by side pic? Or setting the 9mm upper on a 5.56 lower?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Is it shorter than a 'standard' AR? Is the distance between the takedown pins less than on an AR?
    If you have an AR, any chance of getting a side by side pic? Or setting the 9mm upper on a 5.56 lower?

I don't have an AR to compare it to because... Well.. I don't like them haha I bought it for a plinker for my girlfriend. The thread is 36 and it is all aluminum. I can't speak to the distance of the pins but I can measure tomorrow and let you know

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    I've been looking at a couple of pistol caliber carbines... So I have a question about the charging handle. It doesn't look like its going to be that close to a right handed shooters face. Is there another reason why this is an issue, something else I'm missing?

jpap967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    Is it shorter than a 'standard' AR? Is the distance between the take down pins less than on an AR?

Barrel is 1/2x36

It is definitely shorter than a standard AR - imagine the AR receiver but where the beaver tail begins on the lower it is cut flat. I can get a pic side by side with my AR later.
    The distance between the take down and pivot pin is shorter I believe.

The upper and lower would NOT be compatible with standard AR receivers.

My upper and lower have a very slight wobble in their fitment, no biggie but I'm OCD and was looking to install an ACCU-wedge to tighten the fitment up some. That is a no-go, the take down pin is right above the back of the trigger and safety selector.

jpap967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    I've been looking at a couple of pistol caliber carbines... So I have a question about the charging handle. It doesn't look like its going to be that close to a right handed shooters face. Is there another reason why this is an issue, something else I'm missing?

It really is a non-issue for a weapon such as this. It is about 1" long, so if you're carrying it on a sling I can see it possibly snagging - but then again this wouldn't be my SHTF go-to weapon of choice anyways. But even if you hold at the mag well, your thumb wouldn't be in the way or anything (my Kel Tec RFB took off my thumbnail when I held the handguard too close to it). This gun is a nice little carbine for fun and a possible suppressor host for me. My rifle caliber weapons are my go-to tools.

If you put a law tactical side folder on this little guy, and an 8.7 or 10.5" barrel, it'd make a great backpacking companion.

jpap967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    United States

Here's some comparison pics with a standard AR lower

nano 1.jpg nano 2.jpg

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I do like the location of the magazine release. I have a JRC and the location of the MR is the one thing that I am unhappy with on that firearm.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I played with a JRC at Acme a couple years back, seemed really cool and I liked the AR parts usage. But at the time they were getting all kinds of bad reviews here on INGO and it was high $$$ for a fun gun.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I had a JRC in 9mm and sold it. I never had any issues with it. In fact it goes in the "guns I regret selling" category. That's why I'm so interested/on the fence about this one.

The long term goal would be a SBR in 9mm. I have a Glock but I also have a Beretta and FNH pistol, so I'm not sure how much the mags matter. The quality seems nice from everything a few guys have posted on this thread (By the way: THANK YOU!).

FOR ONCE, I'm trying to take my time with a buy.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The long term goal would be a SBR in 9mm

The Nanos seem cool (still yet to handle one) and I like some of the commonality in parts and the price is attractive

But for a very small, compact SBR, the TWN ASR, to me, looks sweet. I've handled the pistol version before and it was so small and compact, it just screamed to be a SBR

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom