• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Hoping this doesn’t sound too horribly ignorant, but is there any chance of magnetizing a handgun slide by using one of those magnetic mounts one sees advertised for in-car carry?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Residual magnetism is possible. It is dependent on the amount of ferrous material in the steel and the energy level of the magnet that is in contact with it. It does not “increase” over time but will be present in the ferrous gun metal until it is removed usually by using a de-magnetizing coil like machinists use. Background-I make magnets in my job. I do not use these retention devices on my guns.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have read that it is possible to magnetize very fine metal particles which may cause a mechanical failure.

I'd be interested in hearing from the experts.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Fine particles that contain any amount of ferrous material can be attracted to even small amounts of a magnetic field. When you drill a hole in steel, the drill bit often becomes lightly magnetized in the process and small shavings sticks to the bit. You can take a file and shave off some fine shavings. Expose whatever metal you are testing after it is exposed to the magnet and see if anything sticks. Most gun magnets use neodymium magnets because the are very strong for their size. That is why they “hold” your gun in place. I do not want to cause any portion of my slide to attract loose metal particles. I could get into how magnetic lines of flux permeate ferrous materials but you would probably fall asleep...lol

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the channel "School of the American Rifle" and he does a lot of AR "physicals" and "autopsies" where he breaks the guns down and measures parts to check specs, tolerances, wear etc. For example, he'll test the components of an AR bolt for magnetism.

He's seen magnetized firing pins, extractors, cam pins, firing pin retainer pins. I don't know if any of these guns were stored with magnets or how they ended up magnetized, but a magnetic firing pin could attract all manner of metal dust and shavings that could lead to stoppages.

So if using the magnets does magnetize parts over time I would personally be cautious about using that method.

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Some metals can be heated to a point where they develop a low level of magnetism. Magnetic material is usually “permanently” magnetized by exposure to a higher powered magnet or by dumping a large electrical current through the material.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    The small components could have become magnetized during the machining process used to make them. Our tool and die makers always de-magnetize their small metal parts before they are assembled. I would assume that was not properly done with the parts in the videos.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. Sounds like some other method would be better. Probably an okay way to store/retain something with no moving parts, but I could see where this might make the difference between and operational gun and a malfunctioning paperweight.

I am impressed with the responses here. I posed the question on a FB page as well and got lots of 'smart' (ie stupid) answers. I appreciate the community we have here!

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    This was a great read! A coworker and I were just discussing double stack handgun storage for safes. I told him I had finally found some stackable metal racks to free up some more room and he suggested magnets. We even drew up a rough design to make in the shop. This thread has scratched those plans!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    So here is a reference for the car guys out there. Lots of people replaced their stock oil pan drain plug with one with a magnet. Why....to trap any small metal particles that may be generated as the engine runs. Same thing will happen with any very small particles that are attracted to a magnetic field, even inside of you gun. I have access to magnets that will suspend 60 pound pieces of steel. Not about to use them for my guns.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    It occurs to me now that the little magnetic mechanics tray I sometimes use to hold pins and small parts when stripping down guns is also probably a bad idea, maybe even worse.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    It occurs to me now that the little magnetic mechanics tray I sometimes use to hold pins and small parts when stripping down guns is also probably a bad idea, maybe even worse.
    Been using plastic kidney trays for a long time. Bulk is cheap and easy. Maybe even your local Rx?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Following. Great read. Chance, your job sounds interesting. Question for the expert.

Based on previous posts, would something like this (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Precision-Magnetizer-and-Demagnetizer-3601H/302880580 ) be of any use to the gunbench? Wouldn't hurt to tap the parts before reassembly.
    As it states this is for small parts like screwdriver bits, etc. Would probably work on pins and other small parts. Parts that are machined like on a lathe or finished by grinding seem to get magnetized frequently. We have a bench mounted electrical coil to demagnetize our parts.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    More food for thought.

A little different than the original direction of the thread and how it can be possible for low level magnetization of parts to attract unwanted debris. I agree that there will not be enough residual magnetism to “lock up” the gun. I am just not willing to add another potential means of trapping anything unwanted in the action. We spend a lot of money and time keeping them clean and prolonging their usefulness. Anecdotal evidence of “didn’t affect mine” in an uncontrolled experiment is just that. All the same I will rely on 35 years in engineering and working with magnetic materials. Everyone is free to make draw their own conclusions.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Based on previous posts, would something like this (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Precision-Magnetizer-and-Demagnetizer-3601H/302880580 ) be of any use to the gunbench?...
    As it states this is for small parts like screwdriver bits, etc. Would probably work on pins and other small parts. Parts that are machined like on a lathe or finished by grinding seem to get magnetized frequently. We have a bench mounted electrical coil to demagnetize our parts.

Possibly a dumb question...will an electric soldering gun have any effect on magnetized metal? I have used them before to degauss CRT TV's.

Top Bottom