• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just recently got my first Ar pistol! I love it, but would like to put a Magpul ASAP plate on it so that I can use a single point sling. Any advice out there on how to remove the buffer tube and end plate from a Rock River AR pistol (pic below of my gun)? It doesn't have the castle nut on the buffer tube...

ARPistol.jpg

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would try a strap wrench on the tube itself. You can buy a 2 pack at Lowes, one large and one small strap wrench. They have all kinds of uses so that you don't mar the finish on what ever you are working on.

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm prob going to break out the strap wrench and try taking it off that way. I'm curious how the buffer tube holds on the end plate with no castle nut... and whether that ASAP will actually fit in place of the plate that's there now.

I'm taking it out tomorrow for the first time! It's a factory build Rock River, so I hope that it runs well!

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    well without the nut they must not use a keyed plate otherwise you couldn't get it on... bet you're going to have to use heat to get it off, bet there's a bunch of locktight holding that tube in place since there is no jam nut...

mikeplan14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Took it out yesterday, and it ran awesome! I think that I'm going to try a heat gun on the threads and then a strap wrench on the tube. From what I can find, it appears that they red loctite those onto the lowers.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Took it out yesterday, and it ran awesome! I think that I'm going to try a heat gun on the threads and then a strap wrench on the tube. From what I can find, it appears that they red loctite those onto the lowers.

Heat gun should work fine, you will have to heat up the whole mass to get the locktite to soften, and that's all it will do, it will feel like it was put together with chewing gum, it will be hard to twist but it will come off once the locktite softens. I've had to take some freefloat forearms that were locktighted on and that how it was with them.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Go with red, unless you are planning to be taking this apart all the time. You do not want this coming apart. This should be considered a permanent connection, and without a jam nut the only way to guarantee it is with red.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have the RRA pistol receiver extension on my Noveske not-so-soon-to-be SBR and had to use an ASAP plate because the ASAP is not keyed. There may be other non-keyed plates, but I don't know of any. The RRA tube has a shoulder just behind the threads that clamps the ASAP up against the receiver... the tube is a larger diameter so a stock can't accidentally fall onto it and create an SBR.

For those not familiar with the ASAP; there are triangular "bumps" that point forward and slide around the outside of the receiver to keep it from rotating when it's in place.

DSCF0842.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Will something like this work on a 9mm AR pistol? Does the 9mm pistol use a different buffer spring and buffer?

From what I'm seeing, the spring will work but you need a heavy buffer. I've read some using the H3 with a spacer or the RRA 9mm carbine buffer. The tube should work fine. The Olympic pistol buffer assembly would work as well but then you'd still need to get the heavier buffer and you'd end up with an extra std. buffer.

CAR-15/M4 9MM CARBINE BUFFER - Brownells

Top Bottom