• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I want one. Will they ever be available to the public?

From the Bushmaster Site:

2009 ACR Availability
    The ACR is being redesigned to be a superior offering to compete for the next generation US Army infantry carbine and subcompact weapon requirement and will be available to select customers in 2009.

From the Magpul site:

The name Masada comes from the battle of Masada where the Roman X Legion laid siege to the Jews in 72 AD. The fortress stood on top of a plateau and had a secure source of fresh water. Because of this, the Romans were forced to build a ramp to allow their formations to advance up to the fortress without breaking ranks. When the ramp was nearly complete, the Jewish defenders decided to end their existence rather than become the inevitable slaves of the Roman Empire. The citizens of Masada left their food out in plain sight to show the Romans that they were in no danger starving and through this act of defiance they have defined the nature of controlling one’s own destiny.

Magpul Industries is not Jewish owned or Israeli backed, however Magpul has always found the story of the Masada as a bold example of defiance.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Magpul sold the rights of the Masada to Bushamster.

They have changed the release date for civilians twice, and are now saying that they plan to release it to .mil/LE first.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Although Bushmaster makes some great firearms, I wouldn't hold my breath that I will ever see their version of the Masada. The "available to select customers" really sounds like they sold out to our government.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Bushmaster has a bad habbit of buying weapon designs and shelving them so the public will never see them. Or producing a total piece of junk and stopping production. They bought the rights from Rock River to make an AR-10 style rifle that took FAL mags. Those had so many problems they stopped making them. Rock River bought back the rights. I hope this isn't the same with the MASADA.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I seem to remember them doing that with the Bushmaster Bullpup a few years ago.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Bushmaster has a bad habbit of buying weapon designs and shelving them so the public will never see them.

Such as?? They bought Professional Ordnance several years ago; the result was a greatly improved Carbon-15 family of weapons, which they are still building. Then they bought Cobb Manufacturing; they are manufacturing the BA50 based on the Cobb design and are using Cobb's facility in Georgia as their advanced R&D department. The BAR-10 was a turd, but even it was sold to the public.

I seem to remember them doing that with the Bushmaster Bullpup a few years ago.

The M17S bullpup (which AFAIK was an in-house design, not one they bought from elsewhere) is still in production in limited numbers; from everything I've seen/read, it was a "decent" gun (albiet with some serious design flaws), but was never a big seller.

The real tragedy in the whole ACR fiasco is that in the end, the military will end up deciding to just buy more M4s, and Bushmaster/Remington/Magpul will have wasted 2+ years on a pipe dream when they could've been selling thousands of guns to us lowly civilians...

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Such as?? They bought Professional Ordnance several years ago; the result was a greatly improved Carbon-15 family of weapons, which they are still building. Then they bought Cobb Manufacturing; they are manufacturing the BA50 based on the Cobb design and are using Cobb's facility in Georgia as their advanced R&D department. The BAR-10 was a turd, but even it was sold to the public.

I was referencing the BAR-10. Yes it was a turd but Rock River has no problem selling them to the public so far. And the public hasn't complained. I'd like them to keep selling the Cobb MCR but I haven't seen any new ones. This is what I am talking about with Bushmaster putting items on the shelf after they bought the design.

It looks like one new will cost around $1400

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I was referencing the BAR-10. Yes it was a turd but Rock River has no problem selling them to the public so far. And the public hasn't complained. I'd like them to keep selling the Cobb MCR but I haven't seen any new ones. This is what I am talking about with Bushmaster putting items on the shelf after they bought the design.

The BAR-10 was a total failure due to design. Bushmaster shelved it because they couldn't get it to work without breaking the lugs off the bolt.

The are not enough LAR-10's on the streets to even make an informed opinion of them, as RRA keeps dicking alot of people around with delivery dates.

And to be honest, I think the project of an AR based .308 that uses HK mags was stupid.

I am not rying to argue with you, but your opinion that Bushmaster buys rights to weapon platforms just to keep them from being released to the masses is just silly.

Bushmaster is going for the gravy train .mil M4 replacement contract, and when they realize that is a pipe dream they will sell it to the masses. (Well, maybe, there is that slim chance of another AWB.)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Uhhh, the Bushmaster M17S was not their design. It came from Edenpine, an Australian company. Bushmaster bought the rights and began production in the US, which ended in 2005. Nice rifle, not much advertising from Bushmaster.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Not to hijack the thread, but why would an ar in .308 that takes FAL or HK mags be stupid?

Because there are .308 ARs that already have functional mags. The problem is that people whine about the cost of the functional mags.

How about instead of reinventing the platfrom to use a specific mag, just make more of the functional mags.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Good point. I was just wondering because a few of these companies are going to have to use eachothers mags sometime. There are too many different kinds on the market. Thanks for the reply!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Uhhh, the Bushmaster M17S was not their design. It came from Edenpine, an Australian company.

Well, I'll be damned. I just learned my something new for today. :yesway:

Wikipedia is my friend:

The Australian Army adopted the Austeyr rifle leading to the sale of the Armtech design to another Australian company, Edenpine PTY Ltd. Edenpine improved the design resulting in the ART-30 and SAK-30. The salient features of the M17S were in place but some Finnish Valmet parts were used instead of AR-15 parts to save money. Edenpine expressed interest in selling the design on the United States market and subsequently licensed the design to Bushmaster for local manufacture thus avoiding import restrictions. This rifle was sold from October, 1992 to 1994 as the "Edenpine M17S Bull-Pup rifle." The distributor was Edenpine (USA) Inc., the American branch of Edenpine of Australia, headquartered in San Jose, California.

When Edenpine folded in 1994, the totality of the rights passed to Bushmaster who manufactured the "Bushmaster M17S", starting just a few months before the approval of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. The M17S was the only American made bullpup rifle to be offered commercially, and the only bullpup rifle not banned by name under the ban. To comply with the law, a version without the M16-style "Birdcage" flash hider was produced.

Top Bottom