• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Hey all,

I received a DPMS AR15 for Christmas from my wife. An amazing gift if I do say so myself. Here is the issue, it didn't come with any mags. I have purchased a standard, steel mag from Gander Mountain. It works ok but rattles and sounds cheap. I also have a Magpul that my son-in-law gave me. Same ones they use in the Army (he is in the military). Problem so far with that is it seems to be a VERY snug fit. It is hard to push in and seat and doesn't drop free.

My question to all of you AR15 owners is 1) what kind of mags do you use in your AR15s and 2) does anyone have any Magpul mags and is this the standard fit.

Hope to hear from you.
    Bmiley

loki.fish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    SW Indiana
    A couple of GI mags, a Sig 556 factory mag, a bunch of PMags, and a few polymer mags by an unknown manufacturer. Haven't had any issues yet

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    ... steel mag from Gander Mountain. ... Magpul that my son-in-law gave me. Same ones they use in the Army (he is in the military)

In my experience, the mags sold at GM are no worse than anywhere else. IIRC, they were "Sig", or had some major firearms manufacturer's name attached to them. They also cost three times what they should.

I've never heard of any USGI issue Magpul PMags. I know a lot of gun guys, who had authorization, chose to take along their own PMags.

Any local shop is probably going to rape you on mags. At the shows, sometimes you'll find USGI's for $10, and PMags for $12-$14, but those days may be gone. MidwayUSA sometimes has their ARStoner mags on sale. 44Mag.com also has competitive pricing. If I were to list all the vendors I've found, it would take all day. (OP, IM for a full listing)

The most important feature in mags, IMHO, is the follower. I detest USGI green followers. All my mags, I either buy with, or change out to, Magpul anti-tilt followers. The Midway mags, and some C-Products mags, have a knock-off, that is acceptable.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    One that hasn't been mentioned yet that I like are the Lancer mags. I use mostly pmags. It's like everything else on an AR, plenty of flavors to choose from.

Acole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I've only heard good things about PMAGs, so I bought a couple for the AR I am building (and since it's still a work in progress, I haven't gotten to use them), but they're lightweight and the construction seems solid, so I don't anticipate having problems with them.

11B20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    I use Colt and Adventure Line in mine. All GI issue. I do have two oddball mags, one Sterling forty round and one 5 round mag. Never had a problem with any of them. Also my mag count is around 55. mostly twenty round mags.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    In some rifles, PMags stick. IIRC, Magpul addressed the issue with a re-design, as I own a rifle in which some PMags stick, and some don't. The accepted solution is to reduce the size of the offending PMag with emory paper.

If GI mags were endorsed by an effeminate former contractor, and a fat, scratchy Coastie, with big, hairy, man-breasts, chances are, you would have never heard of PMags.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I've never heard of any USGI issue Magpul PMags. I know a lot of gun guys, who had authorization, chose to take along their own PMags.
    They (P Mags) are in the supply system and have an NSN assigned and can be ordered by any supply with the Commanders approval....

Top Bottom