Main differences between CZ's and CZ clones?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'm looking to get a CZ 75, though I'm not quite for sure what model of CZ75 I should get or if I should instead get a well made CZ clone.

I'm looking for a full-sized 9mm range and target gun, something that I may one day eventually be comfortable competing with. I love the look of CZ's and recently (briefly) held a Tanfoglio CZ clone and it felt great and the trigger was amazing (though it was not stock).

So, what are your thoughts / opinions? Are parts/upgrades between CZ's and clones like Tanfoglio, EAA, etc interchangeable?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Did you fall in love with the look of a standard 75B? Fondle as many different variants as you can. They all feel good, but one may feel better than the others to you. Is this something that you'd ever carry? Use for HD? What are your thoughts on a rail? If you're planning on someday competing with this pistol, the railed steel frame models such as the SP01 are about the softest/fastest shooting 9mm's out there. Nothing wrong with a standard 75B either. Personally I would stick with a real deal CZ for the aftermarket parts availability. I don't know what's all out there for the clones. Nothing is interchangeable between the two.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Nah, not for carry. I got other stuff to carry. Just looking for a dedicated range/target pistol that I can shoot fast and accurately is all.

Trouble is, I can't really get hands on time with any of them. No local shops carry them, and just by luck I met an INGO at the range the other day and he had a Tanfoglio.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The aftermarket support wins it for the CZ, even though there are well made clones. For me, if you want 9mm, go CZ, unless you know you will never upgrade it. Then you could go Sphinx, but I would probably still be thinking CZ Shadow. If you want 10mm go Tanfo.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For what you want, any of the full size models will do. Would be up to you if you wanted to start out with a stock one and have it upgraded or start out with an already done one.

CZs do suck.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    CZs CZs CZs...

Lebowski, you're likely to get one no matter how hard you resist.

Tanfoglios are very good. Caniks and Sarsilmazs are great also. You might find an old Norinco or Springfield or several other makers of cz75 inspired copies. They're not necessarily clones in the fact that few if any parts interchange between manufacturer. Sometimes magazines will.

But the overall grips and battery of arms is unmistakably CZ. I'm pretty sure the sig P210 had the slide in frame prior to 1975, for all I know, someone may have even done that before sig.

Point being, my first pistol was a TZ75. It was only natural for me to see what the original was all about. I can't say if one is better than the other. But I did develop an addiction. I was finding a few Pre B's, traded a Glock for a 75b Omega, The RAMI came, then a CZ97. Pretty soon I found a glossy blue 75b that I just had to have. Last year I bought 3 surplus transitionals and a 70 (.32 ACP - wtf am I going to do with a .32 anyway???).

Be careful. But know that you WILL likely have few CZs before it's all said and done.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a fan of the CZ clones, but as of tomorrow, I will own only CZs (not counting 1911s and other non CZ like stuff). The clones have a better method of handling the lifter spring than CZs do with the exception of the Omegas. The downside of the clones is that aftermarket support is spotty. I've come to really appreciate the ability to upgrade my CZs to be exactly what I want and the lack of support for some of the clones just make them non-players for me. Love the engineering but not the lack of aftermarket support.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think our strategy is starting to backfire. Pretty soon everyone will want one and they'll be $10,000 and impossible to find. I'm starting a new movement.

CZ's suck.

I have all the ones I lusted for.
    But a 97 in 10mm would be nice.......In stainless.......................:cool:

Top Bottom