• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I went shooting today and I lost several brass cases due to total case failure. The rifle is a rem 700 .308. I have reloaded these cases several times (I lost count). The lower portion of the case sides, around 1/2 inch above the bottom of the cases totally separated or cracked more than 1/2 way around the case. I noticed they all had little teeth, maybe 4 or 5. I assume this is where the lower portion and upper portion of the cases are combined together.

Two questions I guess I have
    1.) Is this normal to crack or totally separate like that?
    2.) Also is it normal to lose 7 or so cases out of 70 fired when they all are around the same reload times?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Has happened to me as well on some .303 british, which stretches really bad. Just part of reloading. Some guys religiously count the number of firings and pitch brass after xx times to make sure this doesn't happen to them.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    It really depends on if you were using max powder loads, and how many times actually you used your brass, what kind of brass it was. I am on my 7 or 8 time around loading for .300 winchester mag and I haven't had a problem with them yet. I use very low reloads in mine though never going over mid range power.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I believe I have seen a little bit of your findings on case life, something like 35 or so right?

ATM I am only full length resizing because I honestly didnt think about shoulder bumping when I made my bulk purchases and I hate paying shipping for just one item. I will purchase a die soon enough to prolong the life of my brass.

Im currently using a low to mild load on my 308. 43.3 gr varget, 175 smk, 2.835 oal.

Next is how safe is it to have them get that bad? I would think that a lot of blow outs at the same place would eventually fatigue my barrel. Also I am a lefty shooting a right handed gun, its so much easier to use IMO, where are the gases coming out at?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Eric, that 175 gr bullet takes a long duration of pressure to push. If you are usning commercial brass, pitch it after it has been shot 5 times.
    Neck sizing only will help avoid case head seperation if you are shooting it in a bolt action rifle. DO NOT be temped to neck size only in a M1a, they must be full length sized. I would full length size ammo for an FAL also. The damaged caused by a slam fire is not worth the chance to save a few cases. When I used an M1a in competition, I would pitch commercial brass after the 4th shot.

That case is a gasket to keep the fire and the gas from damaging the chamber. You are correct, the fire and the high velocity gas does damage like a miniature cutting torch. That is the same principle when magnum revolvers start cutting the top strap. A little microscoping damage that is not even visable will eventually start pitting things. Replace that brass. Good Luck

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Eric,
    Run down to Red Ghost or Daves Gunshop if you're in that area. I'm sure being a 308 they'll have a neck sizer die. For that matter, Ft Sackville might have one also. Or even Cecil might, which would save you a trip or shipping

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You *can* neck size with a FL die, but it requires some experimentation and can be difficult to repeat. When I neck size, i prefer to use the Lee Collet dies, but there are plenty of other options out there.

One of the cardinal sins of handloading \ reloading is not knowing how many firings are on your brass. I would also not consider your load "low". It's not max, but it very well could be close to max in your chamber.

You didn't mention what brand of brass you are using, and if it was commercially loaded or if you started from virgin brass.

I'd pitch all of it.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    While searching for a picture I found one very similar to what I experienced.

The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Case Head Separations

The first picture is pretty much exactly what I was seeing and this is also a pretty good read.

The other notable feature in this photograph is the discoloring of the brass on either side of the separation. This usually precedes the seperation so if you can find cases showing this change in color while inspecting the brass during the reloading process it is a signal to discard the case.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    You are over resizing your cases and pushing the shoulder back too far when full length resizing your cases, you only need to push the shoulder back .001 to .002.

The following is from Reloader Magazine.

308fail.jpg

308fail-2.jpg

Top Bottom