• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    hello guys, i just traded my wifes tokarev tt-33 for this bulgarian makarov. i dont know a great deal about these weapons, so please fill in any info on them and your personal thoughts on design, and shooting. thank you for your time.
    tabbymakarov.jpg

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I have the Russian "commercial" version with double stack mags. Years ago I had a single stack Russian too.

Mak's were big in the mid 90's as for importation. Great guns for the money. Prices have gone up in recent years. Used to be able to by a single stack for under $200 back in the mid 90's.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I have shot my brother's Makarov several times and it's a nice gun. I think you'll be quite pleased the small guy.

As posted above, it's clearly a proven gun with serving the Soviets for so long.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    The Bulgarian is my favorite so far. Can't really say why, but I've tried a couple of others and the Bulgy stays at the top of my list. Must be the Sofia women? :dunno:

Nah actually, it just fits my hand really well, doesn't "bite" me like the PA-63 does and it's a great conceal piece.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    They are fun guns to plink with, light recoil and pretty accurate. Keep the thumb low though or the slide mounted safety will take a chunk of skin off your knuckle.

Ammo can be had at a variety of online vendors for $10+/- a box

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    I have a Lot of respect for the Makarov and the 9x18 round, The Mak is designed to use the steel case ammo still being mfg in a few of the former com-block countries, lots of it around at still fairly good prices. I buy online , at least 500 rounds at a time or pick it up at the Indy1500, Most gun shops are over priced ,if they even carry it.

Lots of Makarov info at :
    The Makarov Forum

Out of business now , but still some good info here,
    Makarov.com

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I liked mine, nice and thin and built like a tank. I didn't like the sharp recoil from the fixed barrel, but it shot rather well. Its the only gun with a slide mount safety that I've seen that has down as fire (a plus in my book). Overall, they are nice guns, I just got tired of searching for ammo, and realized I could get a 9mm the exact same size. I traded it for a nice Moss 500 which I still have, and carry duty has been assumed by a Walther PPS, which I believe is smaller than the Mak.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    hello guys, i just traded my wifes tokarev tt-33 for this bulgarian makarov. i dont know a great deal about these weapons, so please fill in any info on them and your personal thoughts on design, and shooting. thank you for your time.
    tabbymakarov.jpg
    What are you going to do when she finds out the TT 33 is missing? :scratch:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Brown Bear was going for $12/50 at the 1500 today.

I saw Hornady self-defense for around $20 if I recall.

Treat yourself to some Prvi, which is brass cased. It runs around $14/50 from AIM.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    One of the really great designs. I think it ranks up there with the 1911 and Glock. Congrats.

IIRC, mine has one screw, no pins, and can be detail stripped with almost no tools. The detail strip with little or no tools also applies to the Glock and 1911.

Low recoil, compact, and accurate enough to do the job. Mine aren't for sale anytime soon.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Maks are great. Small but heavy -- they're solid, good shooting platforms. Like most Russian things of the era, they're "over-engineered" to be used under all sorts of conditions by all sorts of people.

Great little guns.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Bought mine at Bradis 18 or so years ago, and have never had a misfire, misfeed, or other issue. The kick is not bad, and the accuracy is great. I would never part with mine, although the concern is always present that 9X18 ammo will disappear off the face of the Earth, or go so sky high that firing the gun is a drain on the resources. Have toyed with the idea of getting and installing a .380 barrel, but the cost of the barrel, the cost of installing it (not sure I can do that), and the cost of ammo makes me hesitate.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    A Bulgy Circle 10 Mak was my first carry pistol I bought, I love the thing. Extra mags are a bit salty, given they're only 8 rounders but gotta be a down side somewhere.

I've never seen bulk 9x18 ammo at the 1500, I usually look. Is it in the "ammo room" ? or is it all bought up on Friday's?

I personally can not take the original red bakelite grips. I lucked out and bought mine with several aftermarket grips. Settled on one that is black plastic with a very aggressive diamond on the slab sides (East German grips maybe?). Also Perce has a rubber grip that is very comfortable as well.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I love the Makarovs. Ammo costs about the same or less as 9mm if you buy online. The stores tend to gouge on this round for some reason. My Bulgarian Mak is a great gun. Yes, its for sale, that doesn't mean I don't like it. I really don't understand why people will buy a crappy little .380 but won't consider the Makarov, which is a far better quality gun. Go figure.

Glockfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Hendricks county
    I have 2 Makarovs, a Russian and a German. I bought both of them back in the mid 90s when they could be bought cheap. I've shot them several times and have never had any issues.

Top Bottom