• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    So first I can't find ammo, now the fellas down in Loretto KY have decided to mess with perfection. Due to increased demand, they are cutting the alcohol in Makers Mark by 3% ABV. Another way to say it is they are watering down their hooch to spread it around a bit more. Ok, does that mean the price is coming down as well? Doubtful.
    Maker's Mark watering its bourbon down.

I may have to taste around for a new bourbon. You just don't mess with a Man's bourbon.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I love bourbon. Just went to a tasting Thursday and picked up a couple of bottles for the cabinet. I have a swaller of Maker's left in a bottle and no desire to replace it. It's ok but there are much better choices out there (at least for my palette).

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I highly doubt it will effect it in any way you will be able to tell.
    Look at Bookers. You can get a bottle at 125.X proof and another at 130.X. It's all good going down.

Have a little faith in them, they won't mess with it and put it in production if it wasn't good enough.

*I should note that I have somewhere between 15-20 bottles of the stuff unopened so I can ride this one out.

:D

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I love bourbon. Just went to a tasting Thursday and picked up a couple of bottles for the cabinet. I have a swaller of Maker's left in a bottle and no desire to replace it. It's ok but there are much better choices out there (at least for my palette).

I would have to agree! Maker's is just not one of my favorites! Had a chance to experience it on our last ice climbing trip in the U.P.-it just didnt satisfy me one bit!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Its a good thing i prefer Wild Turkey.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed was one of the bourbons I tasted last week and it was the best of the bunch. I've shied away from WT since I was in high school (not that I would have consumed alcohol back then:D) but man! That Rare Breed is goooooooooood. Longest burn I've gotten including Booker's. Unfortunately they were sold out but I'll be going back soon to pick up a bottle.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Maybe, maybe not. The thing is, it was done for marketing reasons. Not because 3% ABV were getting people too drunk ,too fast or that the distilling equipment was wearing out with the higher concentration. It's because those doofuses at Beam want to wring every last dollar that they can from us bourbon drinkers and not mess up their marketing ploy. If they raise the price of Maker's it may start to eat into their other higher end bourbons. Personally, I'd rather see a 3% increase in price instead of at 3% decrease in alcohol. I saw the letter that was signed by the current and former Master Distillers. They invoke the name of their relative who started it all...my guess is, he's rolling over in his grave.:noway::noway:

It's like me telling you that you can't have a pistol grip on your AR. It still shoots the same. You won't notice the difference.

Hyperbole...yes, but I'm still p*ssed that they are messing with it. Time to go full time Blantons instead of just for those special days.

I highly doubt it will effect it in any way you will be able to tell.
    Look at Bookers. You can get a bottle at 125.X proof and another at 130.X. It's all good going down.

Have a little faith in them, they won't mess with it and put it in production if it wasn't good enough.

*I should note that I have somewhere between 15-20 bottles of the stuff unopened so I can ride this one out.

:D

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed was one of the bourbons I tasted last week and it was the best of the bunch. I've shied away from WT since I was in high school (not that I would have consumed alcohol back then:D) but man! That Rare Breed is goooooooooood. Longest burn I've gotten including Booker's. Unfortunately they were sold out but I'll be going back soon to pick up a bottle.

I did a bunch of tasting when I did the Bourbon Chase last year, but I'm not sure if I had the Rare Breed or not. I'm kinda stuck on the 101.:yesway:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you should try some Backbone Bourbon Uncut. I picked up a bottle of batch #3 over the weekend. 57% ABV, good flavor and BURN BABY BURN!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Maybe, maybe not. The thing is, it was done for marketing reasons. Not because 3% ABV were getting people too drunk ,too fast or that the distilling equipment was wearing out with the higher concentration. It's because those doofuses at Beam want to wring every last dollar that they can from us bourbon drinkers and not mess up their marketing ploy. If they raise the price of Maker's it may start to eat into their other higher end bourbons. Personally, I'd rather see a 3% increase in price instead of at 3% decrease in alcohol. I saw the letter that was signed by the current and former Master Distillers. They invoke the name of their relative who started it all...my guess is, he's rolling over in his grave.:noway::noway:

It's like me telling you that you can't have a pistol grip on your AR. It still shoots the same. You won't notice the difference.

Hyperbole...yes, but I'm still p*ssed that they are messing with it. Time to go full time Blantons instead of just for those special days.

I didn't think Beam owned Maker's Mark.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I know how you feel like your getting screwed when they put less of something you buy and charge the same price they do that with everything now days.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Did have the opportunity to sample Crown Royal Cask 16-
    Now thats some good stuff!

You need to try:
    crown-royal-xr.jpg

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Ok a couple things here.

1. Makers Mark is reducing the ABV because there are SERIOUS shortages nationwide right now. The Whiskey/Bourbon market was up nearly 30% last year, and it doesn't really show signs of slowing this year. If they drop the ABV by 3% that's another million bottles (est) that they can make and send out to distributors.

2. Crown Royal isn't bourbon. Its Canadian.

3. Try WH Harrison, Ridgemount Reserve 1792, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig, Jeffersons, or Four Roses. Those are some great bourbons there. Harrison (Indiana Bourbon) is my favorite, followed closely by 1792.

Top Bottom