• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I assume the process is visually upsetting and makes you queazy or worse?

Am I right here?

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    If smell is a problem I have used strong mint gum to help keep the taste of the smell out of my mouth, and using Halls cough drops or other brand name of your choosing helps. I personally don't like to eat meat I dressed that same day because of smell. That has been over ridden by hunger though. That's all I can offer. That and a good soap to get the smell off my hands when I'm done.

Good luck looking forward to seeing others responses.

cdyptrsn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    angola
    yea your right I get queezy. It's not the smell it is usually after staring at gut and the blood for a while

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    yea your right I get queezy. It's not the smell it is usually after staring at gut and the blood for a while

If by queazy, you just mean sick to your stomach, it will just take repetition to desensitize yourself. If you feel like you're going to pass out, you may wanna con a buddy into doing it for you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    For me its the smell, and I am sure it must have a least a minor effect on everybody. My suggestion is to turn your face away when you are first opening it up. Of course, you have to watch where your knife is to get started, but once you continue down the chest cavity, turn your face to the side so that the steam rising out of the animal doesn't hit you. Also, after I have got it propped open, I step aside to let more of the steam rise out and to catch my breath.

If you stand right over it the whole time, you are bound to get a lung full of stank.

One of the guys I hunt with has never gotten used to it. He's hunted for going on 20 years and he still gags every year, sometimes more than a gag. I think for him, like you, the problem is the sight more than the smell. He's had good success too, I'd figure he's averaged one a year, some years two, some years none. If after 20 deer he isn't used to it... I don't mean to take away the prospect that it might get better, just don't be upset if it doesn't.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Soon as you open one up, just pop the gizzard in your mouth and chew it. After that nothing else will bother you at all.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When my dad first introduced me to hunting, he pointed out the organs of the animal that we were cleaning. It became interesting to me, so that I wasn't looking at "guts" anymore, but individual body parts, like liver, heart, lungs, kidneys, intestine. I approached the subject in the same manner with my kids. They started out with "yuck"...and ended up with "hmmm, that's pretty interesting". Like anything, the more one does it the more acceptable it becomes. If after several attempts, it still nauseates you, well maybe you don't have the stomach for it and should switch to paper targets. There's no shame in it.

Being around dead bodies, an autopsy or the smell of death and decomposing bodies is far worse, but the folks whose business demands that they be in close association with such things get plenty used to it. Not everybody has the makeup for this however.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    vapo-rub

keep a little container of vicks in the backpack for under your nose. cops use it at sites where the body has decomposed. as far as the sight of innards goes, you just have to get used to it. surgeons are made not born usually. i can't stitch myself but my urologist sutured his own wound from a chainsaw. takes practice.:) i've been butchering and gutting stuff since i was a kid and gutting a deer still smells bad enough that my sinuses start dumping mucus like crazy.:puke:

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I don't know what it is but I hate the smell of rabbit. I don't hunt them anymore unless somebody else will clean them. Just something about that smell.

Deer on the other hand has an odd smell at least to me when cooking. Don't know what it is, but don't like it. Tend to either grill it by walking away from the grill or cover the odor with onions or marinade if cooking inside.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You guys do know that vicks and cough drops and the like actually serve to OPEN your respiratory passageways? Thereby making it EASIER for you to smell?

And this thread is the crux of why I'm not a hunter. I just don't want to have to clean whatever it is that I shoot. And if I'm not willing to clean it, then why should I shoot it?

-J-

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    If you gut shoot a deer, once the cavity is opened, you all know the smell I'm talking about, lean in close, get several big sniffs of the stuff, and your farts will smell like that later that night. Great for getting back at buddies in your hunting camp, or getting the wife out of bed so you can have it all yourself.

Top Bottom