• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It's a stupid law but most everyone knows about it. Plus, wearing the holster in to the school AND leaving a firearm in plain view in an unattended vehicle? Not the brightest bulb on the tree.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    From the story:

"State law allows a person to have a gun in their vehicle on school property only if they are dropping off or picking up their children."

If true, then he was rightly arrested. I believe that is actually the law, unless the school board has granted him permission to carry on school property...I think.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I disagree with the law, but the law is clear. If the details are reported accurately, then he's a felon.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

The only exception is if you are operating your vehicle, and specifically when transporting a person to or from school.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Perhaps this man has a 100% squeaky clean record... And this may possibly have a chance at being a case that will make the laws better in IN.

Long shot, I know, but there IS a chance...

-J-

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm impressed that they quoted the law correctly.

"State law allows a person to have a gun in their vehicle on school property only if they are dropping off or picking up their children."

Bummer for him and his kid. :(

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    People who carry firearms have to familiarize themselves with the laws in every state in which they intend to carry. I check the laws for all states that I travel in. There is no excuse for being unaware of the laws in your home state.

Yes it is a stupid law.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Perhaps this man has a 100% squeaky clean record... And this may possibly have a chance at being a case that will make the laws better in IN.

Long shot, I know, but there IS a chance...

-J-

If he's squeaky clean, then he could maybe get it argued down to a Mis-A with probation in lieu of time, but there's no way the case is going to challenge the legality of the law.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If he's squeaky clean, then he could maybe get it argued down to a Mis-A with probation in lieu of time, but there's no way the case is going to challenge the legality of the law.

If he's squeaky clean, maybe he is our example of why we should change the law. Although his lack of understanding of the law won't play so well.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    As a responsible firearms owner. One should know the law & Never leave your weapon in a car in plane sight!!
    If he had taken off the holster and locked his gun in the glove box or parked off of school property he would of been fine.
    The law is a stupid law to make the sheeple feel better.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    People who carry firearms have to familiarize themselves with the laws in every state in which they intend to carry. I check the laws for all states that I travel in. There is no excuse for being unaware of the laws in your home state.

Yes it is a stupid law.

Nail on the head! I will be traveling to PA this summer and will be reading up on OH and PA. Will be on family property in PA but there is a lot of state between here and there. The news states that the guy in Greenfield does not have a record and was not a risk but still no excuse.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We have drivers that wear holsters on the bus and in the schools during lay overs. One was even showing off a magazine (ammo holder, not reading material) inside a school the other day. I wasn't a witness to this but heard from several other drivers.

Top Bottom