Man fired from University of Kentucky for having a gun in his car.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    FYI you might want to update the title to read University of Kentucky. When I first read the title I figured "what do you expect from those on the other side of the pond".

In regards to the article. :faint: The freaking gun was 1 mile away from where he works. Yup that will keep everyone save from when the pissed off medical student comes shooting up the place and everyone is disarmed. Nice.

Got to love the 1st reason they fired him only to change it later. I don't think he will win his lawsuit but not sure. If the state has a "parking lot law" he might but other wise not sure.

Overall it's a crappy deal and one that I'm so tired of hearing about from the antis.
    We should just split the country in half (allow all the antis to pick a side) and be done with it. Then on the border between us and them we can have big signs that read...

-->> This way to the GUN-FREE LAND!

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    FYI you might want to update the title to read University of Kentucky. When I first read the title I figured "what do you expect from those on the other side of the pond".

Sorry. I thought since we were close enough to Kentucky, and it mentions that its a grad student it would be implied. I don't know how to change the thread title. Any help?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    "The whole situation came down to somebody overhearing a conversation."

"They also questioned him, and he told them he had a concealed-carry permit for a firearm that he kept in his vehicle, which at the time was parked about a mile away in the student parking lot at Commonwealth Stadium."

Lessons:
    1. keep your mouth shut.
    2. keep you rmouth shut.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Lessons:
    1. keep your mouth shut.
    2. keep you rmouth shut.

No, No...
    We (gun owners) are NOT criminals, child molesters, have some deadly contagious disease. Why do we have to "hid" the fact that we are gun owners?

The gays get to have a GAY Pride Parade!
    The homeless get to stand on the street and pan handle.
    The criminals get their day in court.
    Those with HIV get medical treatment.

But ONLY gun owners are seen as some type of fatal type of person & your "keep quiet" only reinforces that.

50+ years ago our grandfathers would have not though anything about this. School kids took .22lr to/from school, you could order a freaking MG via the mail!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Information is on a need to know basis, as far as I'm concerned.

The right to remain silent, and the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures were rights too last time I checked.

. . .But ONLY gun owners are seen as some type of fatal type of person & your "keep quiet" only reinforces that. . .

Remaining silent in situations like this reinforces nothing. I'm not suggesting that gun owners not make themselves heard politically and socially. If you want to go out and proactively demonstrate, and protest on behalf of gun owners and the RKBA, lobby for changes to the law, etc., great. If, after careful consideration, you want to be a test case for some, as yet, untried legal question bearing on our rights, more power too ya.

This young man, however, may find out he doesn't know the rules of the game as well as he thinks he does. We'll find out, I suppose. If he doesn't have a leg to stand on, as he wouldn't have in Indiana (not sure how it works in KY), it will be spun out badly for gun owners. Bad PR doesn't help the cause. There's a right way and a right time to make the point. When your being questioned by school officials or campus police is not that time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik"]YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE"]YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2[/ame]

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Luckily Kentucky has a parking lot law that will allow this person to sue for his job back and damages for being fired./quote]

If that's the case, cool! :yesway:
    University "officials" should have known better then.
    Hopefully there's no exemption for universities in KY, as there is/was, in the most recent proposal in Indiana.
    That could throw a fly in the ointment.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    It would be nice if, instead of getting his job back (only for them to find another reason to fire him later) @ a now hostile work environment, the court would award him @ least a few years salary/ins. Hit them in their pocketbooks & they might change their ways. Like a politician I heard one time, "When they feel the heat, they will see the light".

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Yeah that is a good point. I would hate to go back into that work environment after all this. He will end up working somewhere else because that job will never be the same again.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    They may have ruined this guys career, at least in the surrounding towns. The case made the papers, some people are probably going to remember it. Hopefully he can still get a letter of reference from someone but I think he's screwed unless he wants to move. I would sue for all that I could but maybe that just makes it worse for him too. He should have kept his mouth shut.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Not necessarily. One place I used to work, an employee was fired for refusing to work with someone who she considered dangerous. She fought it and won, got her job and back pay and thenceforth for several years, she was essentially "bulletproof" there, as the employer did not want to risk charges that whatever they were firing her for was retribution. :dunno: :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    From my understanding the situation at an IN public university would be the same. At least at Purdue I've been told that carrying a weapon on campus could result in being terminated (if employee) or expelled as a student. Now I don't want to find this out for myself so I just keep my firearms at home.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Not necessarily. One place I used to work, an employee was fired for refusing to work with someone who she considered dangerous. She fought it and won, got her job and back pay and thenceforth for several years, she was essentially "bulletproof" there, as the employer did not want to risk charges that whatever they were firing her for was retribution. :dunno: :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

That may be the case, but I can see the employer going to lengths to make this guy hate his job enough to quit or at least just enough to make him miserable.

Top Bottom