• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ok im just wondering about this scenario... Your walking down the street... You are armed with a CCW.. A man walking 2 pit bulls walks past you, while doing so one of the pits snap at you... You tell the man he needs to be a little more careful with his dogs and the man starts arguing with you.. The man then threatens to have the dogs attack you.. He starts yelling commands at the dogs and they dogs start getting very aggressive but while the man still has them on the leash but theatning to let them go...

Do you shoot... If so, what do you shoot? Man or dogs?

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    If there was no way to disengage from him with dialogue and without turning my back to him then.....Hypothetically......
    I'm more than likely remove cover garment and unholster my gun(leaving it pointed down at the ground) and start backing up to create distance between us. I would tell him, "If you release the dogs I will shoot them."
    If I see the leashes come out of his hands the dogs are going down....
    From there it would be up to him.........
    Then call the Police and a Lawyer.

It really wouldn't matter the breed of dog, but two of and medium sized or larger dogs can do a lot of damage really quickly. If he was telling his dogs to attack and they were responding to his commands, then I have every reason to believe he has trained them to attack on command(Plus the one has already attempted to snip at me). The dogs are the primary threat so they will be getting my primary attention.Also are there any potential witnesses in the area? If there are then you backing up and warning him not to release his dogs that would help afterward, and also complicate things because you then need to make sure they wouldn't be in your lanes of fire. If there were no witnesses then its one mans word against another. Talk about a PITA what if......

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I don't understand why people want pitbulls in the first place. I don't give a :poop: what anyone says if they can be trained to be good dogs. They don't need to be bred anymore. My neighbors brothers pit bull attacked his St. Bernard and it took 10 rounds of 9mm to send that pit bull back to where it came from.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If there was no way to disengage from him with dialogue and without turning my back to him then.....Hypothetically......
    I'm more than likely remove cover garment and unholster my gun(leaving it pointed down at the ground) and start backing up to create distance between us. I would tell him, "If you release the dogs I will shoot them."
    If I see the leashes come out of his hands the dogs are going down....
    From there it would be up to him.........
    Then call the Police and a Lawyer.

It really wouldn't matter the breed of dog, but two of and medium sized or larger dogs can do a lot of damage really quickly. If he was telling his dogs to attack and they were responding to his commands, then I have every reason to believe he has trained them to attack on command(Plus the one has already attempted to snip at me). The dogs are the primary threat so they will be getting my primary attention.Also are there any potential witnesses in the area? If there are then you backing up and warning him not to release his dogs that would help afterward, and also complicate things because you then need to make sure they wouldn't be in your lanes of fire. If there were no witnesses then its one mans word against another. Talk about a PITA what if......

I agree with this. Pull your gun and be ready to take down the dogs as you back away. Hopefully he does not have a firearm or is a very poor shot, because he will take you as you try and take down the dogs.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    IMHO, NO you do not shoot or you will likely go to prison. The animals were restrained and not released. I don't think the courts will consider an angry person yelling at you with a couple of leashed dogs reason enough to kill him.

Now if he does actually release them then I think shooting would be justified since they now have become an immediate danger to your life.

(Of course then you're going to have to shoot every member of his family because they're coming after you loaded in pick-up trucks and shotguns when they find out you just killed cousin Bubba and the family pets while they were taking a walk in the park.) ;)

Last edited:

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Space, more space, more space between you and the 'problem'.

Ole' boy is just running is mouth at this point, keep yours shut and back away, as quickly as possible with out losing your footing. Just get away. If the dude really does cut his dogs lose you're gonna wish you had even more space. IF, IF he does release them with some type of 'attack' command, (or even without I suppose) and they come for you, eliminate the threat.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    hypothetically, shoot all three and get the silver medal for honor. anyone with a pit bull should be taken out behind a woodshed, IMHO(if you're offended, file a complaint with your garbage can). in real life, Josh, you're on the money, space and more space and i probalby wouldn't draw but as soon as those dogs were running free, its hot brass all around and if the owner got caught by a squib, so sorry. can i call my lawyer?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If the man is firing up his dogs, I'm not going to give him a chance to release them. Once they are free, you are not going to be able to stop them before they get to you. If the man tells me he's going to set his dogs on me, and starts getting them fired up, the next thing he hears will be a magazine going into Fluffy.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've been in this situation.... EASY FIX

I saw them coming down the street..... (uhh..... situational awareness)

No ninja stuff, or Dirty Harry rhetoric...................... I simply crossed the street..... No dog issues, no owner issues, no shooting issues, no poice issues, no lawyer issues...... simply another 20 or so steps...... happy camper.....

Use your head first, THEN if all else fails, use your firearm.

See what getting old does for you ? :D

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.

No ninja stuff, or Dirty Harry rhetoric...................... I simply crossed the street..... No dog issues, no owner issues, no shooting issues, no poice issues, no lawyer issues...... simply another 20 or so steps...... happy camper.....

:+1:

Also, the argument aganist owning pits holds about as much water as the argument for banning "assault weapons".

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    easy fix here.....because if i'm walking down the street..i'm for sure walking my 500 pound bengal tiger...who are by the way trained to attack..you guessed it...PITBULLS...(not much fat on those lil tasty treats)....now if you would of said 2 asian blue butt silver haired mongolian chimps.....well..now i would be screwed...

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

Internet Warrior FAIL!! Jay, you should be recommending a caliber large enough to shoot thru both poodles and still stun the owner to submission, so the police can arrest him for being mean to you.

I also happen to agree with you. Good post.

Top Bottom