• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Carrying a gun, Open or Concealed is not a guarantee.
    I would hazard a guess that statistically speaking, it's in insignificant occurrence across the country and the years.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    What was this guy thinking?

I'm picturing him walking while playing with his cell phone like so many people do now.
    Situational awareness - NOT.

What a Maroon! :n00b:

Edit - Wow, This story is old. - 2010

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That was actually from 2010, so not much new discussion to be had.

Concealed carry was still prohibited in Wisconsin at the time and open carry was the only legal option.

You can still get robbed carrying openly, but examples of it happening are extremely hard to find.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, it is extremely rare as the story says, and it just shows concealed or open nothing protects you... Sorry about it being so old, my brother showed it to me and I took it for a new story. So my apologies, maybe the fact that concealed carry isn't an option should have been my first tip as to the fact it was old. Should have put more thought into it I suppose as per most things haha

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    For those who have said here to give ONE example of open carry making you a target, there it is. Old story or not, it happened.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I learned on INGO that this never happened....I mean it couldn't have. OC can't result in this. It's a law of nature or something.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    For those who have said here to give ONE example of open carry making you a target, there it is. Old story or not, it happened.

Incorrect. There is nothing to suggest that open carry made him a target, this was simply an armed robbery like the hundreds or thousands of others that occurred in Wisconsin that year to unarmed or illegally concealing carriers.

Try again. ;)

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Wait a minute, they didn't blow his head off because he was open carrying?

Crazy, huh?

And try searching for any follow up to that initial story, lots of people were interested and searching for info at the time but nobody could find anything beyond the claim that it had happened.

The following year, concealed carry legislation passed... just a coincidence that it was even being considered at the time, I'm sure. :):

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I tried to read the article, but the newscast was sooooo annoying that I couldn't finish it.
    "Proves that carrying a gun is not always a guarantee..."
    "The neighbors knew...'It was kind of scary knowing he had a gun all the time'"
    *CLICK* Off to another page.

Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    We all need to agree that people should have the right to carry however they want. You all need to stop throwing stones at those that open carry, it's their choice. No one cares if you agree with it or not. The focus right now should be supporting eachother's right to own and carry however we want. Criticizing other gun owners about their choices is completely unfruitful and does not move our cause forward.

Besides, this should be a wakeup call to all of us regardless of our carry method to brush up on our skills and mindset. This could happen to any one of us if we're not paying attention.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You can use whatever broom you want to sweep it under the rug, but it won't work.

No seriously, try again. I've never heard anyone claim that open carry would make one magically impervious to crime, only that it is an admitted and effective deterrent to most criminals.

What makes you suspect that this one reported claim of a robbery was somehow an example of being "targeted for open carry", when there are no further details to be found or cited?

If it did actually happen, wouldn't it be more reasonable for us to assume that he was simply robbed in spite of the fact that he was armed (as when concealed carriers are frequently victimized) rather than specifically because his was not covered?

I find it rather humorous that the balance of whether it has ever happened seems to boil down to this one sketchy report from 3 years ago for you. I'd say that fact alone rather proves the point that the common "you'll be targeted for OC" claim lacks any realistic or credible support.

Top Bottom