• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think you are probably right. But I am concerned that we would not go back to being charitable due to the near collapse of religion that we have been seeing in this country and around the world.

Maybe. Or maybe it's that many have unwittingly subscribed to the religion of government. Maybe if that god turned its back, they would leave that church.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I do like the idea that charity should go back to the private sector instead of the government. I do understand why it was started, but its become bloated and massively cleaned out. If there is not a medical (physical or mental) why you cannot have a job, then sorry, checks dried up. Wonder how much money that would start saving the government?

As someone else also stated, the government is giving out housing, food, vehicle payments, cell phones. What do they actually need to go to work for? I have to work to afford all those things, why should I continue working when I can get just as good with everyone's hard work? IF i was in charge (HAHAHA, never happen), I would design
    "housing" like the old open bay barracks. Inspections every morning. Don't like it, don't have to live there. Vehicle? Not so much, there is public transportation, or walking. Food, I am for having the debt card and letting people pick out what they want, however, I would make sure things that aren't foods, but necessitates would be allowed on there, such as toilet paper and diapers. (I know, surprised that I would add more to it?) And cell phone? HAHAHA, you have to be high. I don't think you need one. If you want any of those extras, get with a charity, or get off the government system and get a job. Maybe thats my "dream" world, but I think it could start to be changed to being more effective.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think you are probably right. But I am concerned that we would not go back to being charitable due to the near collapse of religion that we have been seeing in this country and around the world.

Even with the Federal Government taking nearly 20% of your gross pay for social programs, Americans are still the most generous people in the world.

In fact, charitable giving doesn't seem to correlate well with religion at all. It correlates better with political philosophy.

If you're a big government type, you are MUCH less likely to be charitable, even if you go to church 3 times a week.

My family donates at least 10% of our net to charity, and my wife, until recently, served on the board of the local charity.

Charity and generosity are very much alive and well in America.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So what you are basically saying is that if you are not religious you are less likely to be as charitable towards your fellow man?

Really? Thats a pretty broad brush to paint with dont ya think? What possible evidence do you have that could support that?

:rolleyes:

Even with the Federal Government taking nearly 20% of your gross pay for social programs, Americans are still the most generous people in the world.

In fact, charitable giving doesn't seem to correlate well with religion at all. It correlates better with political philosophy.

If you're a big government type, you are MUCH less likely to be charitable, even if you go to church 3 times a week.

My family donates at least 10% of our net to charity, and my wife, until recently, served on the board of the local charity.

Charity and generosity are very much alive and well in America.

I am not sure of the study you read, but it would contradict the ones I have seen.

Religious Faith and Charitable Giving | Hoover Institution

The differences in charity between secular and religious people are dramatic. Religious people are 25 percentage points more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent). And, consistent with the findings of other writers, these data show that practicing a religion is more important than the actual religion itself in predicting charitable behavior. For example, among those who attend worship services regularly, 92 percent of Protestants give charitably, compared with 91 percent of Catholics, 91 percent of Jews, and 89 percent from other religions.

Faith and Philanthropy | Independent Sector

Over 85 percent of religious-giving households supported secular organizations;
    Fifty-two percent (52%) of all households gave to both religious congregations and secular organizations, but those households account for 81 percent of all donations;
    Households that give to both types of institutions gave more to religion ($1,391) compared to households that only give to religion ($1,154); and
    Fifty-five percent (55%) of dual-giving households gave to at least two other kinds of organizations.

I thought there was a Pew Research Center study as well, but I can't find it. And before you want to argue the first study, I will simply post this
    Myth No. 5: Atheist Aid

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Should fathers have to pay child support for illegitimate children? Libertarians?

Good question. If instead of a dead-beat that is unable to support his kids, this guy was a drug abuser that was unable to support his family, would you want the .gov to step in to force him to change his ways to pull his own weight instead of the taxpayer?

Top Bottom