barney.jpg

Oh, and let's not even GO here!!!!

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I didn't read all the responses here, but I'd like to point out how absolutely cool the second officer was who arrived later.

He acted appropriately to the call of "man with a gun", his muzzle was down, his finger in register - and then the very second he learned what was happening he holstered up, took control, and was a great peacemaker with the crowd.

Great work!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It took international exposure to finally get some results on this one.
    From Breitbart
    WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington's police chief criticized a veteran detective Monday for pulling a gun during a mass snowball fight. Authorities said the officer is on desk duty while the case is under investigation. Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier said she had watched video clips from the weekend confrontation and has no doubt that the off-duty officer pulled his gun after snowballs hit his personal vehicle during Saturday's record snowfall.

"Let me be very clear in stating that I believe the actions of the officer were totally inappropriate!" Lanier said in a statement. "In no way should he have handled the situation in this manner."
    Assistant Police Chief Peter Newsham told reporters Monday that the detective has been placed on desk duty and his badge and weapon have been withdrawn. He did not identify the officer but described him as a veteran detective with more than 25 years of experience.
    "He has a very good reputation," he said.
    Newsham said the internal affairs division wants to complete its investigation as quickly as possible, within a number of weeks.
    "We have to put the whole incident into context," he said.
    There could be a recommendation to discipline the detective, which could range from a reprimand to removal, he said.
    Context? The video says everything they need to know. This should take a couple of days, at most, not weeks.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I don't agree that this Detective should have withdrawn his weapon from his holster and he should be punished accordingly; but if you do some research you will find that the majority of this crowd was largely full of left wing/anarchist types and young civilians carrying various anti-war and anti-capitalism signs.

OMG. Yeah since it was those young un-american leftist anarchist types it should be OK if the cop pulls a gun & caps a few just to make the world a little safer for democracy. :rolleyes:

I do agree that the crowd escalated to a public nuisance when vehicle starting getting pelted with snow balls. What would have happened had a driver been startled and accidentally run someone over?

Since when is deadly force an authorized response to being a public nuisance?

Also, if you watch some of the other videos related to the incident you will find that the majority of this crowd has no respect for authority and can be heard yelling "F*** you pig" several times.

Can't really blame the crowd for reacting to the JBT tactics employed by this cop. Believe it or not the 1st Amendment still applies (even moreso) when talking to public officials, whether they like the language or not. If it bothers them (which was the intent of the language used) then they need to get a little thicker skin.

Here's all you need to know for now. He has the full support of his superiors. 'Cause it's OK to do what he did.

I think they were saying that the uniformed cop was the one who handled the situation appropriately, not the detective. They said "patrol officer".

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What the detective did was cleary wrong. At what point filled throwing snowballs equal assault? Iirc, people have been charged with assault for pouring a drink on someone before.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Would anybody dare take my bet of a million fictional dollars to say that if the cop actually shot someone, that this same statement would not be made by his department?

Yup - because I'm pretty sure they'd still say it was justified - they'd just set it up in a different light.

"Those youths had a history of trouble - it was snowballs today, but it could have been Molotov cocktails tomorrow. Troubled minds and broken homes and shattered dreams lead these wayward hoodlums into a life of whimsy, playfulness, and naked aggression with lethal weaponry: water in its frozen state - after all, those snowballs could have been compacted into ice and then fired from a homemade cannon or grenade launcher. The officer responded completely appropriately to what would appear to a reasonable person to be a deadly assault by home-grown insurgents wielding IEDs poorly disguised as balls of snow - and, lest we forget, ice. Deadly, deadly ice... it leaves bruises wherever it hits, and can sometimes knock paint off car bodies - those kids must have known that the officer had just waxed his Hummer and were deliberately trying to get a rise out of him. What if one of those snowballs got under the hood and short-circuited something and caught the engine on fire? The officer did his duty admirably, and may this be a lesson to wannabe thugs such as these pesky schoolchildren."

What if, what if, what if...

(I am doing as the cool kids do and putting my sarcastic/sardonic hypothetical in purple so as to avoid confusion. I in no way condone drawing a piece on kids for pelting someone's car... even with dreaded ice-balls.)

Last edited:

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    Several conflicting reports as to who had a gun and what the cop had in his hand. It will be interesting to see the actual outcome. But yeah...if he was waving a weapon around over that...he might want to cut back on the caffeine. :twocents:

This clown admits on one of the MANY videos circulating the interwebs, that he pulled his gun because someone hit him with a snowball. There is no question what he had in his hand. I don't care what kind of day he was having, he deserves the same thing you or I would get if we decided to get pissed-off, jump out of our rig, clear leather, and start waving our piece around! This guy is another example of the type of low-caliber people we have in law enforcement these days!

Now I'm done!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Lazarus, arise!
    Looks like it has taken months, rather than a few days or a couple of weeks for something to be done. Even then it's still no solid, as to what will happen, just rumoured.
    via Fox DC
    WASHINGTON - The D.C. police union says a detective accused of unholstering his gun at a snowball fight faces a possible 10-day suspension.
    The Fraternal Order of Police said Detective Michael Baylor learned about the proposed suspension Tuesday and plans to appeal. The police union is representing Baylor, who does not have an attorney.
    In a report dated Feb. 4 and obtained by The Associated Press, the police department's internal affairs bureau says Baylor acted "confrontational" as he approached a large crowd in northwest Washington in December. The review also says Baylor failed to report stopping a man he thought had thrown a snowball at the detective.
    A D.C. police spokeswoman says she cannot comment on personnel matters.
    Video at the source.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    did he ever identify himself as a police officer? If not, and some CRAZY JACKBALL pointed a gun at me, hed be dead. heck if i was driving along and seen some fool in the middle of the street with a gun pointing it at innocent unarmed people id properly introduce him to my bumper

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    all police should go through yearly psych evals and lie detector test. those who have nothing to hide wont mind and will pass with flying colors. police have too much power to just assume they are ok, and throw them out on the street without a yearly review in my opinion.

it doesnt suprise me one bit his department backed his crazed actions that he should have been fired and jailed for. but look at all the cops driving their police issued cars drunk and getting caught (by the public) and still not being fired. the ones we know about doesnt even include the ones that cops pulled over in their POV's and gave a ride home or called someone from their department to come get them or else. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!! For a fact, because i know 3 cops myself that have let it happen and they told me it was a known courtessy. a lot of cops froown on cops arresting cops, unless they are on the news then they cant easily cover it up. thats why this story is nutz too, with all of the footage, the FBI should come and arrest him. screw his department. but look at all the history and PROVEN corruption in the D.C. police department and it all starts to make sense.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Wow.

For you and me it would be felony intimidation with a deadly weapon.

Kiss your 2A and voting rights goodbye forever. Tell your wife and kids you'll see them in a couple years. Lose your life savings to lawyer bills, lose the house, kids go on welfare.

Gotta love a union job.

Packin-Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Avon, Indiana
    WOW!!!

This is unbelievable, this man is a detective and acts like that. Should be fired, charges filed, and good chances of a civil suit... People like this damage the relationship between LEO's and civilians permanently.

Top Bottom