• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Since my decision last year to own a handgun, I automatically notice any news stories that involve firearms simply because of the gray area concerning when it is, and when it is not, okay to draw, aim, and discharge a gun. Since that time, it seems that those who are involved in accidents are people who simply go to a gun store without any training, buy a gun, take it home, and have it there for personal protection (of course not always).

Do you think that taking some kind of intructional class on firearm handling and safety should be REQUIRED before owning one? We have to have training when handling a car, there is a permit period as we are learning, and then finally we get a license. Wouldn't this cut down on accidental injuries and deaths and ultimately shine a more positive light on gun ownership?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Do you think that taking some kind of intructional class on firearm handling and safety should be REQUIRED before owning one?

Training = good

Mandatory (aka state-mandated) training = bad

We have to have training when handling a car, there is a permit period as we are learning, and then finally we get a license.

Remember, driving a car is a privilege, and not a right. The defense of oneself is a right.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If your question is "is education the answer?", then the answer is "yes, of course."

However, I believe that you are looking at the problem through the wrong lens, the lens of governmental mandates.

We want to encourage a culture of knowledge around firearms. We want training/knowledge to be "cool." Mandating via governmental violence is never the best way to encourge this culture.

Government should certainly do some things, e.g. firearms training tuition should be deductible above the line, gun safety should occur in public schools, public ranges should be available.

However, government has no business mandating barriers to entry to any civil right, whether a comparative religion class to attend a house of worship or a comparative literature class to purchase a book.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    We should all encourage training and a thorough understanding of laws and responsible use of firearms.

Requiring it, however, is a slippery slope which I can't support.

Today's "common sense" requirements would inevitably lead right into tomorrow's "prohibitively difficult" restrictions.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Remember, mandatory driver training doesn't eliminate accidents, and I would venture to guess that mandatory firearms training wouldn't either.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    We want to encourage a culture of knowledge around firearms. We want training/knowledge to be "cool." Mandating via governmental violence is never the best way to encourge this culture.

:+1:

I agree that education should be encouraged but not mandated.

Some incentive for education would be acceptable to me. When I got my motorcycle endorsement on my DL, I did not have to take the practical test at the BMV becasue I had taken a 2 day Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. My insurance carrier gave me a discount on my coverage for the same reason.

Taking a cue from the BMV, perhaps the state could charge a little more for the LTCH but give a discount to those who supply proof of taking an approved gun safety class.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Perhaps my analogy wasn't the best, but it is the concept that is important. When at my local range, I see plenty of people handling firearms that clearly have no idea what they are doing. They also probably have no idea about the laws pertaining to owning a gun.

The simple idea that it is a felony to even point a gun at someone adds a level of certainty for me that I would make darn sure that it was an absolute necessity if I ever did draw on someone. From what I have learned in the short time I have been a gunowner, I would feel much better if I knew all those people browsing the cases knew how to handle it.

And even though drivers ed does not eliminate car crashes, there has to be a statistical improvement than if there were no training required.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Some incentive for education would be acceptable to me. When I got my motorcycle endorsement on my DL, I did not have to take the practical test at the BMV becasue I had taken a 2 day Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. My insurance carrier gave me a discount on my coverage for the same reason.

Taking a cue from the BMV, perhaps the state could charge a little more for the LTCH but give a discount to those who supply proof of taking an approved gun safety class.

I like this idea.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    The simple idea that it is a felony to even point a gun at someone adds a level of certainty for me that I would make darn sure that it was an absolute necessity if I ever did draw on someone. From what I have learned in the short time I have been a gunowner, I would feel much better if I knew all those people browsing the cases knew how to handle it.

You will never "know" that they "know" how to handle it regardless.

The training needed to get a permit or buy a gun would be minimally-mastered and promptly be forgotten by the bulk of the population because safe handling will not be the goal, getting the gun/permit is.

Just like with driver's licenses.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    When at my local range, I see plenty of people handling firearms that clearly have no idea what they are doing. They also probably have no idea about the laws pertaining to owning a gun.

Very true. Thats why I am very careful who I shoot around.

The simple idea that it is a felony to even point a gun at someone adds a level of certainty for me that I would make darn sure that it was an absolute necessity if I ever did draw on someone.

Which is something you have to decide for yourself. This is why we are all responsible for ourselves and no one else can tell us what to do in each and every situation we will encounter.

And even though drivers ed does not eliminate car crashes, there has to be a statistical improvement than if there were no training required.
    Having just been in a car crash I can honestly say at least half the idiots out there do not need to be behind the wheel even after passing the mandatory Gov't licensing. Guns would be no different.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am one of those people that originally thought like Hooker, mandatory training would be a good thing. But after further thought I realize that it would do nothing for public safety. If training and testing worked then there would be no traffic accidents or violations.

The only good that might come from a training requirement is that other states such as Ohio might be forced to recognize our IN LTCH. :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From what I have learned in the short time I have been a gunowner, I would feel much better if I knew all those people browsing the cases knew how to handle it.

No malice intended, Hook, but have you ever noticed how mandatory training is always for "the others"?

We all need continual training. Even though I have many, many hours of gun school, I know I need more and always have stuff to work on.

Why do people want someone else to carry their pack? "The government needs to . . ." "They should . . ." Gun safety/gun education is our pack; we all have to carry it. If you see people doing stupid/ignorant stuff, call them on it.

No eye protection at the range? Call them on it. "Buddy, you forgot your eyes."

Waving a gun around the gun shop? Call them on it. "Sir, muzzle!"

Yes, gun shows make me weak in the knees but I see it as a teaching opportunity (boy, are there plenty of those at a gun show). You don't have to be rude or bully, but you, as part of the gun culture, have a responsibility (my rights, my rights, no, your responsibility) to ensure proper behavior among your fellow gun owners.

In order to teach you have to be a student. If you want to do something about the lack of knowledge in the gun culture, go to school and keep going. Set a good example and maybe it will rub off on Cledus and Jasper at the gun shop.

It is not the first time buyers that worry me. They don't know and are inclined to ask. I worry about the guys at the gun shop who have "been around guns all their lives". Familiarity breeds contempt.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Since my decision last year to speak out about issues important to me, I automatically notice any news stories that involve other concerned citizens simply because of the gray area concerning when it is, and when it is not, okay to speak one's mind. Since that time, it seems that those who are involved in public speaking are people who simply go around talking without any training, or authorization from the government.

Do you think that taking some kind of intructional class on speaking and writing should be REQUIRED before excersizing your 1st ammend rights? We have to have training when handling a car, there is a permit period as we are learning, and then finally we get a license. Wouldn't this cut down on undesirable speech and arguments and ultimately shine a more positive light on our government and way of life.

Fixed it for ya.

:dunno:

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I'm not saying this SHOULD be done, but I am admittedly a novice when it comes to these things and wanted to hear your opinions. I do like the idea of gunshops offering some kind of incentive to take a class. Of course, it is only the responsible people who would take advantage of it so I guess it would be a moot gesture.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm not saying this SHOULD be done, but I am admittedly a novice when it comes to these things and wanted to hear your opinions. I do like the idea of gunshops offering some kind of incentive to take a class. Of course, it is only the responsible people who would take advantage of it so I guess it would be a moot gesture.
    i like the incentive idea as well. theres nothing like monetary incentive to motivate people.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I would think any gun saftey mandated by the goverment would never involve a loaded gun. Only unloaded guns with amuntion locked away.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Since my decision last year to own a handgun, I automatically notice any news stories that involve firearms simply because of the gray area concerning when it is, and when it is not, okay to draw, aim, and discharge a gun. Since that time, it seems that those who are involved in accidents are people who simply go to a gun store without any training, buy a gun, take it home, and have it there for personal protection (of course not always).

Do you think that taking some kind of intructional class on firearm handling and safety should be REQUIRED before owning one? We have to have training when handling a car, there is a permit period as we are learning, and then finally we get a license. Wouldn't this cut down on accidental injuries and deaths and ultimately shine a more positive light on gun ownership?

Yes you should know how to handle a gun when you own one. but you dont need a license or permit to buy and own a car. just to drive it around. furthermore self defence is a right not a privlage. Being free has reponsabilities as does owning a gun, car, home, and many other things. Its up to you to take it upon yourself if you need training and its never a bad idea to take a training course. Hell its most often a lot of fun with good people.

Top Bottom