• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I like the blade shape and handle on the para but I don't care for the lock on it. It's a good lock but I'm not fond of it.

The manix Is a nice set up. They will both be buttery smooth and serve you well.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Para II has a thicker blade, fully adjustable pocket clip, superior locking mechanism, and last but not least, that nice lanyard hole.

It just gives you more, and lets not forget about that superior CPM S30V steel that keeps an edge forever and a day.

The Para Military II just gives you more knife for the money.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Para II has a thicker blade, fully adjustable pocket clip, superior locking mechanism, and last but not least, that nice lanyard hole.

It just gives you more, and lets not forget about that superior CPM S30V steel that keeps an edge forever and a day.

The Para Military II just gives you more knife for the money.

Have to disagree with you. The Paramilitary's 2 compression lock is much more likely to fail, and for me, harder to access being on the back of the knife. The Axis (or bearing) lock is probably the strongest lock you could have on a folding knife, followed with maybe a frame lock. You would have to bust a ball bearing in order for the lock to fail. Both have a large lanyard hole.
    You can buy either model in a variety of exotic steels with flat ground blades. I've seen the Manix 2 in S30V, S90V, M4, 154CM, CTS-XHP, etc....

What it comes down to is preference. For me, I'll take the Manix 2. Mine in M4 is one of my all time favorite folders. I also like all the jimping, especially when using it with gloves.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    My Manix is 154CM and it gets and holds an edge EXTREMELY well.. My edge was great out of box, but I gave it to DaKruiser and now I have to wear an o2 tank when I use it because all of the air runs away, for fear of being cut. :D

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    How strong do you think the Manix 2's bearing lock is compared to the compression?

Have to disagree with you. The Paramilitary's 2 compression lock is much more likely to fail, and for me, harder to access being on the back of the knife. The Axis (or bearing) lock is probably the strongest lock you could have on a folding knife, followed with maybe a frame lock. You would have to bust a ball bearing in order for the lock to fail.

This is like trying to decide between buying a Ferrari or Porsche, both knives will serve you well and I really don't think that either locking system will be an issue because you are dealing with high quality materials and close tolerances. Most locking failures are contributed to poor materials and sloppy tolerances which is not the case with these two Spyderco knives. Either locking system will be fine, it boils down to personal preference.

I have seen ball bearing locking system failures and it's not because of the ball bearing being crushed or "busted", it's because of the spring that holds the ball bearing in place fails, which causes the ball bearing to move out of position or the spring gets jammed up (the spring is the weak point in this design, not the ball bearing). One other possible failure is the plastic textured grip that surrounds the ball and protrudes from both sides of the handle to allow easier disengaging of the lock. This type of failure probably wouldn't lead to an injury, but if it would break, it sure would be a pain in the butt trying to close the blade.

For a compression lock to fail, it would require that you either shear the stop pin, or crush the locking tab between the blade tang and stop pin, or force the stop pin and fasteners out the back of the liners. Note: The Para 2's stop pin is recessed into both liners which gives the stop pin even more strength.
    I have never seen a compression lock failure, but it must be noted that there are not as many out there as compared to the ball bearing system...it may be just a numbers game.

Take a look at the following pictures of both locking designs.

compresslock.jpg

Compression Lock (CL) A small piece of metal that is inserted, from the side, in between the blade tang and the stop pin (or anvil pin).

bblock.jpg

Ball Bearing Lock (BB) A patented compressive lock, wedging a stainless steel ball bearing between a fixed anvil and the blade tang. The ball is also utilized to detent the blade into the closed position.

Personally, I'll take a titanium framelock design over anything else for pure locking strength with the compression lock design coming in at a close second. :twocents:

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I like my Paramilitary 2 a lot. I use it all the time.

My brother has the Manix 2. It's his first real knife.

Both knives were bought from Brad.

Between the 2, I couldn't tell you which I like better. I do think the Manix 2 is a lil heavier.
    But I'll be buying the manix 2 from Brad at the 1500.

I want a manix 2 and paramilitary 2 for each pocket :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What about the Manix 2 XL (S30V)?

:popcorn:

Mine is in my pocket RIGHT NOW. I think I will touch-up the edge a little because Granger sliced some paper napkins with it a few week ago to see how well it cuts. Yeah, I don't need to sharpen it, but I am emotionally ill-equipped to carry a knife that has been used for very long.

You couldn't handle it.

You could be right. Although, I hear that they help you to drive in the snow if you have one in each pocket.

Top Bottom