Many of us have famous ancestors Who are yours?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I have a couple ancestors who were involved with writing the original Indiana constitution and the Ohio constitution. Supposedly there is a pirate there as well, but is a bit hard to confirm. There were officers and enlisted in War of 1812 and Revolutionary war. Some were scouts, some were captains of ships.

The wife is related to a couple cavalry officers and pilots awarded for combat in WW2, 1812, and 1776.

Not so much famous, but a proud history to be from. Supposedly one of those 1812 officers were responsible for wiping out a good portion of the natives in Penn...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Seriously?????Is he really an ancestor???

I heard on PBS that the reason behind the witch trials was some good folk tripping on acid that had infested the rye they made their bread with....It's a pretty good episode of "Secrets of the Dead" and by the end of the show I believed there was something to that theory....

[video=youtube;rCHcmZm529c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCHcmZm529c[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Seriously?????Is he really an ancestor???

I heard on PBS that the reason behind the witch trials was some good folk tripping on acid that had infested the rye they made their bread with....It's a pretty good episode of "Secrets of the Dead" and by the end of the show I believed there was something to that theory....

[video=youtube;rCHcmZm529c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCHcmZm529c[/video]

Yes, he is.

Ergot poisoning, ergot being a fungus related to LSD is a very plausible theory for some of the cases.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yes, he is.

Ergot poisoning, ergot being a fungus related to LSD is a very plausible theory for some of the cases.

I read some of the trial transcripts and it seemed to me that a couple of the young ladies were on a "bad trip"....They were clawing at themselves and hallucinating in a big way...I never bought into the theory that they were acting that way out of malice to get even with neighbors or the way Liberals tried to connect the Witch Trials to the McCarthy hearings....Neat family history there Sir...

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    In the early 1800s, my family help found Newburgh, IN. It was originally named Sprinkleville, Warrick County, IN. The Sprinkle name is on my Mother's side of the Family and is still a name found in Southwestern Indiana. One of those relatives was hung as a horse thief. I guess that is in-famous rather that famous, huh?

Humm. Sprinkle you say... Does your mom have a cousin with the name Annie Sprinkle ? If so I saw her show in Baltimore 25 years ago. :dunno:

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    My ancestors? Mostly boring people who sailed across the Atlantic in the 1600s & 1700s. Some of my other ancestors were here to greet them when they came ashore.

There were a couple of them who were interesting, in that Wolphert Gerretse Van Kouwenhoven was the founder of the first European colony on Long Island, and another, Winifred Benham, was accused of witchcraft in Connecticut the late 1600s.

It's the distant cousins who are a bit more interesting: Wilbur & Orville Wright, Michael Douglas, and a couple of ne'er-do-wells named Roosevelt.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom