• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not much you can do in this situation. I'm certainly ain't taking the word of US Customs about what I can do in other countries, better to get their (Mexico's) approval so you know you're legit.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Our Dear Leader needs to express his concern and distress over this matter to the Mexican government.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    "The Customs and Border Protection agent said it was all right to take the shotgun, McDonough said, adding that the agent told them: “ ‘All you have to do is register it.’ So they gave us a piece of paper and said, ‘This is your registration. You’ve got to pay this much.’ They gave us the piece of paper to give to the Mexican authorities.”
    As soon as the Winnebago lumbered over the bridge and they handed over the form to Mexican agents, trouble began. The two spent several days in custody, separated from each other. Mexican authorities eventually freed McDonough, perhaps because of his Argentine residency, and he walked back to Brownsville.

On Aug. 18, Mexican prosecutors leveled serious charges against Hammar... the formal citation said the barrel was shorter than 25 inches, although a discrepancy has emerged over how the barrel was measured."

So the whole ordeal boils down to the fact that the former Marine failed to research the legal barrel length requirements for shotguns and took the word of a boarder control agent as fact. Even a shotgun as mundane as a 60 year old ".410 bore Sears & Roebuck shotgun" (probably a bolt action?) is illegal if the barrel isnt 25inches. apparently. Thats really crappy. But the corrupt authorities dont care. Maybe what was needed was a bribe?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Where is the "Da law is da law" or "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" crowd?

I'll wager his hometown local officials called the Mexican authorities and told them to pick him up because there was no one there mow his grass.....:D

My question is, WHY would anyone even consider taking a firearm into Mexico? One would have to know papers or not, it's asking for trouble and he stepped in it BIG time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wow. That's some serious repercussions for the possession if a 410 shotgun. I've got friends that recently have been or will be going to Mexico on vacation. I don't have any desire to set foot there.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thats really crappy. But the corrupt authorities dont care. Maybe what was needed was a bribe?

^This!

Whenever you deal with Mexican officials if you want the transaction to go smoothly it is customary to include a 'tip' with the forms you are submitting for each agent you deal with. No 'tip' and you run into all sort of problems.

I'll wager his hometown local officials called the Mexican authorities and told them to pick him up because there was no one there mow his grass.....:D

My question is, WHY would anyone even consider taking a firearm into Mexico? One would have to know papers or not, it's asking for trouble and he stepped in it BIG time.

He was planning on going to Costa Rica NOT mexico. He was just driving thru Mexico to get to Costa Rica. Sort of like going to WI and having to drive thru IL.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ^This!

Whenever you deal with Mexican officials if you want the transaction to go smoothly it is customary to include a 'tip' with the forms you are submitting for each agent you deal with. No 'tip' and you run into all sort of problems.

He was planning on going to Costa Rica NOT mexico. He was just driving thru Mexico to get to Costa Rica. Sort of like going to WI and having to drive thru IL.

Which makes me think that this guy ain't the sharpest knife in the box. To get to Costa Rica entails doing through Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua.... AKA "shake me down alley." If there was ever a thing that could be called "extreme" travel, that would be it.

I hope everything works out for this guy.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

You CAN'T be serious.:n00b: Comparing traveling thru Central America with a firearm to driving thru Illinois to Wisconsin.... Again :n00b:

I feel sorry for him and hope this all works itself out in his favor but, THAT was a very bad decision on his part.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is the reason why I believe that if we are going to send troops anywhere it should be to Mexico. I, for one, am sick and tired of the Mexican government actively assisting people in breaking our laws, shielding criminals, including and especially murderers from justice, and then putting our people in their hell-hole prisons for most any offense. We need someone in Washington who possesses a pair to correct this problem, and, unfortunately, I don't see it happening, so I suppose this problem isn't going away

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is the reason why I believe that if we are going to send troops anywhere it should be to Mexico. I, for one, am sick and tired of the Mexican government actively assisting people in breaking our laws, shielding criminals, including and especially murderers from justice, and then putting our people in their hell-hole prisons for most any offense. We need someone in Washington who possesses a pair to correct this problem, and, unfortunately, I don't see it happening, so I suppose this problem isn't going away

You think we aren't similarly screwing other countries?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Haven't read many of his posts have you?:D Of course it's our fault.

Why if it wasn't for us mean 'ol 'mericans there would be world peace and maybe the Second Coming would have already happened.

We're the only ones qualified to meddle in the affairs of others.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You think we aren't similarly screwing other countries?

I would consider this irrelevant. This marine isn't guilty of anything other than an honest mistake that he took proactive measures to avoid having. We routinely kiss Mexico's collective rear end and they take out their frustrations based on real or largely imaginary grievances on any American they can manage to get their hooks into. That is completely unacceptable.

Top Bottom