• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Ok, pmags are nice, but they are thicker. I think there will be issues with keeping a full combat load in the current mag carriers. Mine are almost too tight on GI mags. Actually there are two pouches that won't fit what they are supposed to. Also, the ribs and material on Pmags will make them more likely to snag things during mag changes.

Just use tacos

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wow, that article is...that article.

I would suppose this is likely because of the USMC adopting the same ammunition as the US Army due to Congress saying "pick one, you guys": Ammunition: Congress Demands Army and Marine Corps Standardize Rounds - The Firearm Blog

...and apparently that round is best used in conjunction with the p-mag because of some reason of how the round hits the feed ramp. With the existing magazine the round hits the feed ramp at an angle that causes faster wear and eventual gouging of the ramp, which then causes feed issues. The P-mag feeds it at a more "gentle" angle as far as the feed ramp is concerned.

So, in short, old mag works great for old ammo. New ammo wants new magazine. People smarter than me can probably explain the geometry or why you couldn't just use a new follower, I'm just parroting things from people who seem to know what they are talking about: Army Round Triggers Problems in Marine M27 Auto Rifle | Military.com

Preliminary results of an Army test to see how the service's M855A1 5.56mm round performs in Marine Corps weapons show that the enhanced performance round causes reliability and durability problems in the Marine M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle, service officials say.

After further testing, Woodburn said the Marines have found a solution in the Magpul PMAG, a highly-reliable polymer magazine that has seen extensive combat use in Iraq and Afghanistan."It appears we have found a magazine that takes care of the reliability issues," Woodburn said.
    Marine Corps Systems Command on Monday released a message which authorizes the PMAG magazine for use in the M27, the M16A4 and M4 carbines, Woodburn said.
    "The reason they did that is because when Marines are deploying forward, they are sometimes receiving M855A1, and we need to ensure they have the ability to shoot that round," Woodburn said.
    "In terms of the cause analysis and failure analysis, that has not been done, but what we do know is that the PMAG works," he said.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wow, that article is...that article.

I would suppose this is likely because of the USMC adopting the same ammunition as the US Army due to Congress saying "pick one, you guys": Ammunition: Congress Demands Army and Marine Corps Standardize Rounds - The Firearm Blog

...and apparently that round is best used in conjunction with the p-mag because of some reason of how the round hits the feed ramp. With the existing magazine the round hits the feed ramp at an angle that causes faster wear and eventual gouging of the ramp, which then causes feed issues. The P-mag feeds it at a more "gentle" angle as far as the feed ramp is concerned.

So, in short, old mag works great for old ammo. New ammo wants new magazine. People smarter than me can probably explain the geometry or why you couldn't just use a new follower, I'm just parroting things from people who seem to know what they are talking about: Army Round Triggers Problems in Marine M27 Auto Rifle | Military.com

Isn't this one of the major reasons for the improved follower in the GI mags?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    They do make nice components. The military should have the best equipment available. Good rifle and mag would be at the top of the liust IMHO.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I remember back in 06 and 07 while in Iraq some of the Marines out there in the FOB's had Pmags unsure what gen or whatnot, but the general consensus was they worked a heck of alot better.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I remember back in 06 and 07 while in Iraq some of the Marines out there in the FOB's had Pmags unsure what gen or whatnot, but the general consensus was they worked a heck of alot better.

Everyone was running them but they ended up getting booted and we're no longer allowed, I always thought they were the best AR mag.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Detectives don't get cool guns...

It's not that, I've got an issued AR, went through the patrol rifle program, Army vet, etc. It's just what I know is using it and user level maintenance. I don't know diddly about how the various internals, angles of the various followers, etc. I'm the driver, not the mechanic.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The author sure is a fan of superlatives isn't he? The data itself would be interesting in the testing comparisons as opposed to just saying "nobody comes close omg!!!1!!

No kidding. Holy hell that was a advertisement not a news story. Companies will send out templates for articles prewritten, looks like this woman did a full copy paste from the magoul press release media kit.

Top Bottom