Marion Co. Rolling Trigger Finger Prints?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I just had a student tell me after going through the trouble of getting electronic fingerprints, that Marion County insisted they take rolled prints of both of his "trigger fingers" in order to process his application. Anybody else heard of this? For the INGO legal minds: What standing do they have to add this to the process? Can they refuse to process the app without it?

I hope this isn't a dupe. I searched but found nothing.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I always got rolling fingerprints at the Lawrence Co Sheriff's office.
    Not just of the trigger finger, but of every finger.
    Then the print with the four fingers all at once.
    L1 did the same thing when I got it done through them, they just used the magic cube instead of ink.
    From my experience, if they did not do rolling fingerprints, they were doing it wrong.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I always got rolling fingerprints at the Lawrence Co Sheriff's office.
    Not just of the trigger finger, but of every finger.
    Then the print with the four fingers all at once.
    L1 did the same thing when I got it done through them, they just used the magic cube instead of ink.
    From my experience, if they did not do rolling fingerprints, they were doing it wrong.
    I think you're misunderstanding... according to the OP the applicant filed via L1 with the "magic fingerprint box". Then upon going to Marion Cty to submit his/her applicant Marion Cty insisted on taking fingerprints of only the index (trigger) fingers for their own records in addition to the L1 prints that were already submitted...

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I don't think they can really require this. If you are really concerned about it I would just notify the ISP of their request and let them talk to the people there and straighten them out.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I am going to call BS on this. Last time I went to the Citizens Service Desk for that type of thing, they took ink prints of all fingers. Doesn't make sense to only take two.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    L1 took rolling points of every finger. OP is saying his student.took L1 and then Marion County demanded rolling ink prints of his trigger fingers.

I have never heard of that. But if it is true the OP should have asked for a supervisor or called ISP. Local police only collect the fee and go over your application to check for errors before it is sent off. Not their place to delay applications. Like that stupid.incident with the INGO members wife getting held up by local police because she was not born in the US mainland.

Don't even have to be a US citizen anyway.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Might be getting pressure after all the murders lately.

I thought that the L1 fingerprints would get my fathers LTCH quicker. In Madison county they were only taking apps Tuesday and Thursday 9-11 and 1- 4:30 which basically required me to take off a day of work to get it again. That was a few years ago and a new Cheif County LEO I believe is/was in charge since then. Then they only sent the apps once a month to the state all at once. Applied in June received in late october.

I cannot remember when dad applied online this year but I will be sure to ask him soon. He still has not received his yet. He just had to do online app/l1 prints and the trips to pay the Leo his share.

I guess this rambling post is to say the county Chief LEO can do some things different. At least in the past they did. I tought that online/l1 would make is basically generic across the state. In Marion county when it took me nearly 5 months to get mine in Madison a coworker applied with l1 and he got his is 15 days including 4 weekend days.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why is Marion County fingerprinting twice?

Funny. They didn't want to fingerprint my wife at all and told us it was mandatory to do L1 (which it wasn't at the time) until I called them on it. Maybe they are trying to make up for all those prints they missed out on.

(on a side note, I'm pretty sure they all go into the same database.)

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Lol yea it is pretty strange sounding. Are there multiple places you can go in Marion county to do the local fee and have your app sent off? It is a big county.. maybe you all went.to different places? Maybe different office workers processing the app? One is new and follows the current procedure and one is an old timer? I try to stay in warm and cozy Hamilton County :D so I don't know how it works. Or what the difference is between a MC deputy and IMPD, I actually thought they merged and are all IMPD. Different police stations still? Have only been here a couple years too, so dont know how it was before.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Lol yea it is pretty strange sounding. Are there multiple places you can go in Marion county to do the local fee and have your app sent off? It is a big county.. maybe you all went.to different places? Maybe different office workers processing the app? One is new and follows the current procedure and one is an old timer? I try to stay in warm and cozy Hamilton County :D so I don't know how it works. Or what the difference is between a MC deputy and IMPD, I actually thought they merged and are all IMPD. Different police stations still? Have only been here a couple years too, so dont know how it was before.

MCSD only has Special Deputies now...the Merit Deputies merged with IPD to form IMPD. Special Deputies serve papers, court security, prisoner handling, sex offender registry, and warrant service. They only require 30hrs of training by law (MCSD gives them more) and are hired at the whim of the Sheriff.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Ahhh okay
    That is pretty interesting. Never knew they were different. They still have arrest and citation ability like everyone else?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Ahhh okay
    That is pretty interesting. Never knew they were different. They still have arrest and citation ability like everyone else?

That is still up for debate. There is a lawsuit going that may settle the dispute though. That all said, they DO arrest and cite for the time being.

sfehrman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Greenwood
    I thought I would just add my experience with Greenwood Police.
    I did the L1 fingerprinting and then when I went to the Greenwood Police Department, they said they had to fingerprint me. So I told them I already did it electronically, but they said they still needed a copy. Didn't make sense to me and I didn't want to start any kind of issues by trying to refuse it. They just made it sound like they wanted a paper copy to put into their filing cabinets. Almost as if they aren't even connected to the digital database. I am still confused by it.
    They did all 10, not just trigger fingers.

k201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I completed my fingerprints through L1 and went to IMPD's Citizens Service desk a few days later and they fingerprinted me also (all fingers) but never said why. Honestly, I wasn't sure what the procedure was so I didn't ask. They did them electronically not with ink on paper.

Issues with my fingerprints is also what delayed getting my LTCH by 1-2 months.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    In Marion county when you do L1, you go to the City County building downtown and they take at least one trigger finger, maybe both. My understanding is it's used to compare and confirm you are who gave the prints at L1. It is not ink, it is electronic. This explanation could be an assumption on my part, it has been over a year since I did the license thing.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    In Marion county when you do L1, you go to the City County building downtown and they take at least one trigger finger, maybe both. My understanding is it's used to compare and confirm you are who gave the prints at L1. It is not ink, it is electronic. This explanation could be an assumption on my part, it has been over a year since I did the license thing.

I asked why I was being fingerprinted again. Was told that it would only be my index fingers, and was used to verify that mine were the hands used for the original L1 fingerprints.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think you're misunderstanding... according to the OP the applicant filed via L1 with the "magic fingerprint box". Then upon going to Marion Cty to submit his/her applicant Marion Cty insisted on taking fingerprints of only the index (trigger) fingers for their own records in addition to the L1 prints that were already submitted...
    Yeah, I misread the OP.
    Sorry.

I asked why I was being fingerprinted again. Was told that it would only be my index fingers, and was used to verify that mine were the hands used for the original L1 fingerprints.
    Don't you have to show ID at the L1 fingerprinting?

Top Bottom