• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I assume if I can't make this Saturday's then the whole class is out for me, right? Any idea when the next round will be? This is something I would really like to do and be part of.

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    As I understand it you have to make all the classes, but I will ask when I get there on Saturday.

The schedule I saw online doesn't go past August so I will ask what the future schedule is as well.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    As I understand it you have to make all the classes, but I will ask when I get there on Saturday.

The schedule I saw online doesn't go past August so I will ask what the future schedule is as well.

Thank you. Please do follow up with this information, as I would really like to take this class (now or in the future).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think my wife is going. If the CERT team is deployed, I'm probably already called in or dead! Yikes

A CERT "Team" is a group of folks in your neighborhood who have some basic training and equipment (REALLY basic equipment!) to allow you to help your neighbors out in the event of a major disaster that delays Public Safety responders. They "deploy" in your neighborhood.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Great 1st class everyone.

Looked like 5-7 INGO'ers were in attendance.

Nice to meet you all.

Cheers

IndyPrepper

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    To answer some questions posed in this thread:

1. You have to attend all of the classes to get the certification and equipment.

2. They are booked up by private entities for September but should be releasing an October schedule soon.

3. Federal funding for this program will go away at the end of the year but they are looking for solutions to keep the program going. So as soon as I know the remaining schedule I will post on this forum so that everyone who can will get the training.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The course work is freely available at FEMA.gov You may have to buy your own safety helmet and vest and basic tools, but you can teach yourself the course work. There are various safety equipment dealers in Indianapolis who will gladly sell you helmets and gloves: Midwest Fire and Safety is the one that comes to mind.

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    After doing a little more looking I found that all the course materials may be found here:

CERT : CERT Training Materials

and you can purchase gear here:

CERT Gear | Community Emergency Response Team Equipment | C.E.R.T. Supply | America's Favorite Survival Supply™ | First-Aid-Product.com

and

Community Emergency Response Team: CERT Supplies, Kits & Guides

as well as other places on the internet.

I would still suggest that you attend a class if you can. I know many of us have a lot of the skill that are taught but you never know when the hands on section of one of the classes will prove very useful in the future.

Example: I know how to shut off the gas to my house if I need to but several people in the class did not. The instructor had a gas meter and valve that he had each person shut off to ensure they could if it were ever needed. The same thing with using a fire extinguisher and different types of fuse boxes. I am sure there will be more such things in future classes.

Again, many of us know these things already but not everyone does.

Top Bottom