• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    About 30 years ago, I had a friend in Indy who did small construction, including roofing. He told me they found HUNDREDS of largely intact ricochet rounds on rooftops that were down range from MARCO (Marion County) as it used to be called. He was a silhouette shooter like me, I have no reason to refute his claims. Edge hits on steel that cleared the short backstops that were in place in that era.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Regarding energy retained after impact with steel, many years ago some visiting yahoos were apparently shooting at an old lawn mower exactly 3/4 mile west of my house, based on statements when I went down later to investigate with the renter at that house who was appropriately concerned about my report.

It looked like one round may have punched through the aluminum siding, and another round definitely went through my second story storm window and knocked a circle pattern out of the sash window glass. Bullet recovered, looked like it was probably 5.45x39mm. So the bullet was tumbling or otherwise lost a lot of energy, but managed to arc in to my second story over the top of a small barn from 1300 yards away.

Of course if you hit a proper steel target at close to 90 degrees you are generally going to deform the round a lot more and impair its aerodynamics, although impacts with steel can be pretty close to an elastic collision (a collision in which there is no net loss in kinetic energy in the system as a result of the collision).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Regarding energy retained after impact with steel, many years ago some visiting yahoos were apparently shooting at an old lawn mower exactly 3/4 mile west of my house, based on statements when I went down later to investigate with the renter at that house who was appropriately concerned about my report.

It looked like one round may have punched through the aluminum siding, and another round definitely went through my second story storm window and knocked a circle pattern out of the sash window glass. Bullet recovered, looked like it was probably 5.45x39mm. So the bullet was tumbling or otherwise lost a lot of energy, but managed to arc in to my second story over the top of a small barn from 1300 yards away.

Of course if you hit a proper steel target at close to 90 degrees you are generally going to deform the round a lot more and impair its aerodynamics, although impacts with steel can be pretty close to an elastic collision (a collision in which there is no net loss in kinetic energy in the system as a result of the collision).
    With all due respect, can we stick to comparing apples to apples? Nobody is shooting lawnmowers at MCFG. Only the last paragraph is relevant to this issue.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    https://indyrange.net/steel/

Though doesn't make much sense to have the bays open for paper, if the concern is fill dirt for berms? But this notice I linked to doesn't mention the berms.

But this one does: https://indyrange.net/bays-closed-for-maintenance/ which is the one you referenced.

Glad I got to ping some steel last week at Proteq.
    I think I misread the dates before. It looks like they suspended shooting steel on 3-Jun but I think the bays are completely closed as of 6-Jun.

That probably makes more sense.

This was the post from 6-Jun:

The Bays are closed for maintenance until further notice. We are working on getting clean fill dirt to repair the erosion of the berms in the bay.
    • Contractor scheduled for 14 June to provide bid on repairing the berms.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is probably a stupid question but....
    No FNS?
    The announcement link says its still on.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This is probably a stupid question but....
    No FNS?

Still on...running outside of bays

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Anybody been recently? I realize it is just the first week of July and that included a holiday, but was curious if anyone had seen any work start on the bays?

Looking like I'll have to head to Proteq tomorrow to ping some steel.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Anybody been recently? I realize it is just the first week of July and that included a holiday, but was curious if anyone had seen any work start on the bays?

Looking like I'll have to head to Proteq tomorrow to ping some steel.
    work supposed to have started this week. I wouldn't count on it being done tomorrow.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....buddy of mine (now deceased) used to run the BP shoot....he said back then, 20some years ago that it wasn't unusual for ricoshets to be found outside the bounds of the range....

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I took one of Coach's classes there and he cautioned us all about muzzle discipline and keeping the pistol aimed below the top of the berm. Apparently they've had rounds impact in the Speedway Kroger parking lot before.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Website appears to have been updated today and indicates the following:

"The Bays are closed for maintenance until further notice. We are working on getting clean fill dirt to repair the erosion of the berms in the bay.

• Worked started on 7 July. Once we have a firm completion date it will be posted."

That said, I got out to Proteq today to shoot some steel and it was a good time. Just a bit of a drive.
    Hoping MCF&G bays are up and running again soon as I'm starting to do some shooting with a red dot on a pistol and already know I was doing some things wrong (but at least everything on the new gun with the red dot was working well as was the gun with the red dot that I already have), and want to get more practice in soon.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    ....buddy of mine (now deceased) used to run the BP shoot....he said back then, 20some years ago that it wasn't unusual for ricoshets to be found outside the bounds of the range....
    You must be talking about Tim. I used to shot the BP event for a few years when Tim was running it and it was a good time. Tim was a very great shot and always did very well at the event..

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    You must be talking about Tim. I used to shot the BP event for a few years when Tim was running it and it was a good time. Tim was a very great shot and always did very well at the event..
    ....yessir.....Tim and I did a lot of reenactments together, in addition to a few late nites closing down buffets, Cracker Barrels and such......occasionally, I'd come up and shoot....wife still talks to his wife and we get together and have dinner.....he was a good friend.....

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Website appears to have been updated today and indicates the following:

"The Bays are closed for maintenance until further notice. We are working on getting clean fill dirt to repair the erosion of the berms in the bay.

• Worked started on 7 July. Once we have a firm completion date it will be posted."

That said, I got out to Proteq today to shoot some steel and it was a good time. Just a bit of a drive.
    Hoping MCF&G bays are up and running again soon as I'm starting to do some shooting with a red dot on a pistol and already know I was doing some things wrong (but at least everything on the new gun with the red dot was working well as was the gun with the red dot that I already have), and want to get more practice in soon.
    I just went to the Marion County Fish and Game website and it looks like the pistol bays are open again:

Top Bottom