• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsmant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    I have marked both primers and bullets with sharpies, when I am working up new loads. I mark the primers/heads with dots/hash marks/etc... and the bullets just forward of the ogive. The nice thing about marking the bullets in this manner, if you use a white target anyway, is that you can look at the target and determine which round made which hole. You can even do half the bullet one color, and the other a different color to get more possibilities. Red, blue, and green seem to work best. Black is difficult to tell from the blue. I stole this method from this guy.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have marked both primers and bullets with sharpies, when I am working up new loads. I mark the primers/heads with dots/hash marks/etc... and the bullets just forward of the ogive. The nice thing about marking the bullets in this manner, if you use a white target anyway, is that you can look at the target and determine which round made which hole. You can even do half the bullet one color, and the other a different color to get more possibilities. Red, blue, and green seem to work best. Black is difficult to tell from the blue. I stole this method from this guy.

Nice link to 6MMBR. Good to have a point of view from a different shooter dicipline.

bsmant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    very good link. i never thought the marker would color the target like that but im gna try that thanks.

I'm actually surprised that it works as well as it does. Below is a picture of the first target I tried it with. I didn't have a red marker handy so I used blue, black, and green, which isn't a great combination as the blue and black are not the easiest to tell apart. You should be able to see the green and the green/blue rings pretty clearly.

marking_handloads.jpg

I am still learning the ins and outs of working up a precision rifle load. This is a target used for initial testing of a .223 Remington load using 75gr Hornady BTHP for my RRA carbine.

Top Bottom