• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    I bought a newer Marlin 1894 - 44 Magnum this past fall for deer season 2015. I purchased a couple hundred rounds of Freedom Munitions hollow points and target loads to spend some time at the range trying to hone in my accuracy. After putting 100 rounds through pipe at different ranges, with different methods of stabilization, and every other trick in the book that I know of, the best I could do was put 5 out of 5 on a cookie sheet from 30 yards. The weird thing is that it appeared to me that the bullets were flying all around even when shot from a lead sled.

I have seen some other posts on other sites about this, but wanted to check with the INGO crowd on possible fixes. Is it the ammo? Does it have something to do with the barrel? What should I try next to get this thing dialed in?

I have at least 50 rounds of Freedom Munitions HPs and 50 Target rounds if someone out there thinks I should try out various other loads and is interested in trading some out.

Thanks for any and all input!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Try something else.
    My 1894 likes Magtech 240gr JSP, but it REALLY likes Hornady LeveRevolution.

What weight bullet are you running?

Also, is your barrel stamped JM or REM?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. In the spirit of starting with the easiest diagnostic and working towards the more complex. Make sure everything in your sighting system is tight ... sights or scope, doesn't matter ... make sure nothing is loose. I spent the better part of a morning chasing impacts and trying to get some semblance of a group with a student one time before we realized his scope was loose.

Good advice!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Mine wasn't that bad, but it would refuse to give me a decent group even at 50 yds using Hornady, Magtech, and a couple other brands. I finally found what it truly loves when I picked up some Winchester 240gr whitebox stuff. Now it makes nice tight groups at 50 and is still dead on at 100.

Keep trying different brands, bullet weights, and see if you can't find what it really likes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ammo is what I would check first, if the target loads are lead and undersized to the bore they will lead like crazy. Your jacketed stuff will be trying to push it out. Neither condition is good for accuracy. Get some good 240 grain jacketed ammo and see how it does after giving the rifle a cleaning.

After that and a visual inspection of the crown for nicks it gets more complicated.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    My JM stamped Marlin absolutely would only shoot hornady xtp rounds consistently. All others were a crapshoot for accuracy.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    +1 for Win. WB Make sure your mag tube and forearm are tight. Open sights, check front sight screws, scope, check the base.
    My JM 1894 will cloverleaf 3 shots at 50 yds.
    44_Marlin_1894.jpg

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Find out what she likes...mine hates the Leverlution rounds but lover the standard Federal American Eagle.... Took me several different companies to find the favorite.... Also mine is VERY heat sensitive.... She starts to warm up look out because she starts throwing them...also likes a dry bore...I have to shoot about three rounds before she tightens up to clean out the lube.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Find out what she likes...mine hates the Leverlution rounds but lover the standard Federal American Eagle.... Took me several different companies to find the favorite.... Also mine is VERY heat sensitive.... She starts to warm up look out because she starts throwing them...also likes a dry bore...I have to shoot about three rounds before she tightens up to clean out the lube.

Yep, tubular magazine rifles are notorious for having a tendency to throw off your POI as the barrel heats up, particularly those with a barrel band, as most of the 1894 carbines have.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got one in 2008.
    Bought a box of Hornady Custom 240 gr ammo and it put 5 under 2" at 100.
    Bought another box, same thing.
    Did however work the action for two long nights before shooting it, to smooth it up.
    Was decent enough rig, just couldn't get comfy with the stock/scope setup.
    Plus my dad has a '66 fingergroove sporter Ruger.
    It doesn't shoot as well as the Marlin, the lever gun outdid it without effort............but that auto is just too cool.
    So my Marlin went bye bye.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Has anyone else shot the rifle besides you? When I bought my Henry I could not shoot better then 4-5 inch groups at 25 yards. I let my cousin shoot it and it was me. He could make one ragged hole. I figured out I just suck with Buckhorn sights. I put Skinners on and I can shoot 2-3 inch groups at a hundred yards on a good day.

Let someone else try the gun if you haven't already.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    wow, what temperamental firearms...
    I mean, wow! how cool to own unique firearms :)
    I'm only laughing because a similar gun (in .44 or .357) is on my short list.

Top Bottom