• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Hey fellow IN gun owners, I am wanting to purchase a 45-70 lever action rifle, and I am currently debating between a new Marlin 1895 guide gun and a Rossi Rio grande. Does anyone have any experience good or bad that could give me a suggestion on which one to go with? The Rossi is a full 100 dollars cheaper and seems to have more bells and whistles, such as a bit longer barrel, a larger loop lever, and a scope mount. But Im assuming that the Marlin is made with a lot more STEEL since it is a full inch and a half shorter, but weighs a pound an a half more, which leads me to believe that it can handle hotter loads. Will the 18.5 inch barrel drastically decrease accuracy on the Marlin Guide gun? Despite the fact that Marlin historically made good firearms, I have to wonder about the quality of the Marlin since it is being made by Remington these days. I know Rossi is made out of Brazil through Taurus manufacturing, and a lot of people knock Taurus, but I have never had a problem with a single Taurus firearm. So as you can see I am having a tough choice and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Marlin quality has dropped since Remington took over. I would suggest looking for a used older model. As far as accuracy the shooter has more to do with it than the gun unless the gun is a real mess. I would consider the Marlin to be a better gun but like anything you could get a lemon no matter which way you went. There are a couple of the older Marlins for sale in the FS section. For full disclosure one of them is mine and the other is an INGO advertiser.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    I've owned a 45-70 guide gun, since 2003. Bought it used at the time. Barrel is ported. Like Pitmaster said, I'd look for a use Marlin, 2008 or older. When Marlin made them, they were top notch. Mine has been in on bear, hogs, and one African Safari, and never let me down.

Mad Dog

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Take a look at reloading Data, that should give you the answer on which one is built more sturdy. As or accuracy, My Dad has had one for 25 years or so, and its never missed anything he (or I) have meant to shoot. Any velocity you might loose from the shorter barrel can more than be made up for at the reloading bench in the Marlin. Not knocking the Rossi, but for an accurate and built like a tank reliable rifle, I would look into an older Marlin.

exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Thanks for the replies! I will try to find a used one in good condition then. I will try to find one locally first, if I dont have any luck I will look at the classifieds on here. Thanks again.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have both, but they are 44mag. I can't say anything bad about either one of them. I deer hunt in a woods not an edge, so my shots are short and I never felt I needed a 45-70. If I went up to 45-70 I think I would go with the Marlin.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    you keep me wanting one you know that? add another to the list.:hooked: as for marlins just what the other folks said, look for a JM stamp on the barrel. i think but i know for sure the new ones have REM on the barrel

Sorry about that. :stickpoke: If you were closer I'd let you hold it :D

I held a lot of the new Marlins. POS compared to the Henry. I will admit that If I could have held Pits 1895 it would be "mine" I am saying that with an evil tone. I am still trying to talk my self in to having 2 45-70's Gotta have a spare right?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I like my Marlin. I'm sure I bought it 2008 or before, so maybe it's not the POS Marlin you were looking at. I can't find Rem on it anywhere. Lol on the gotta have a spare though. I'm a firm believer in that. That's why I bought the Rossi. I just can't get past the yellow on those Henrys. If they came in black, I would check them out.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I like my Marlin. I'm sure I bought it 2008 or before, so maybe it's not the POS Marlin you were looking at. I can't find Rem on it anywhere. Lol on the gotta have a spare though. I'm a firm believer in that. That's why I bought the Rossi. I just can't get past the yellow on those Henrys. If they came in black, I would check them out.

You are in luck! the 45-70 is black :-) Lol. I really wanted the 1895. I did not want to spend the extra for the Henry. I am happy with it though! The biggest issue I had with the new Marlins were fit and finish. I looked at the 45-70 and the 30-30. All looked like the receiver to stock fit was done with a pocket knife. I could smooth the action and make the trigger what I want. But did not want to buy a new stock to make it look new.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I have had a Guide Gun since 2001 bought it used. One of my favorite shooters. Like other said look for a good used Marlin before the buy out. I have heard and seen some have bad rits on new ones. My buddy has a new one and it turned out well so look at it before you buy. Looked at used Rossi the other day .44 with long octigonal barrel it looked real nice but think I want a Henry .22 instead of a new caliber.Good Luck.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Sorry about that. :stickpoke: If you were closer I'd let you hold it :D

I held a lot of the new Marlins. POS compared to the Henry. I will admit that If I could have held Pits 1895 it would be "mine" I am saying that with an evil tone. I am still trying to talk my self in to having 2 45-70's Gotta have a spare right?
    hum a spare, i like the way you think, maybe a Shiloh sharps?:spend:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    FWIW I handled a Rossi. Nice! Action was smooth, fit and finish were fine. The trigger was great. About 4 4 1/2 lbs. I don't think I would be afraid to buy it. And I looked at another Marlin 1895. It was the nicest one yet. But still wasn't at nice as the Rossi. The stock fit was better but not good.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My 1999 Marlin 1895 is pretty well perfect in every way. It only gets a diet of 405gr hardcast @ ~2000fps and hasn't shown the first sign of issues.
    Keep an eye on the stock fit, make sure the front of the stock is not touching the receiver. Inspect the sights and make sure there's no barrel cant.
    If all that checks out it should be one of the properly made guns.

Used is the way to go. Just make sure you go old enough.

And of course, in indiana 45-70 doesn't serve a lot of purpose. But if you are handloading and reloading you can do an awful lot of things with that round. It is obscenely versatile.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    FWIW I handled a Rossi. Nice! Action was smooth, fit and finish were fine. The trigger was great. About 4 4 1/2 lbs. I don't think I would be afraid to buy it. And I looked at another Marlin 1895. It was the nicest one yet. But still wasn't at nice as the Rossi. The stock fit was better but not good.
    thats hows my rossi 92 is the only thing i dont like about it is the stupid little safety on top the bolt(that i already broke).

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Friday at the 1500, I found a real nice 1990 year 1895SS 45/70. Great shape and is a real Marlin, not a Remilin. Even with JM marks, you need to be careful as some of the last jm's had some issues and I've been told that some of the first few remilins had JM marks. I think the only true way to tell is by the year made. Couple years before the split and you should be good to go. I'm very pleased with mine and paid less that most are asking now. Now to see how it shoots!!!!

Top Bottom