• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    i am thinking about getting a marlin 336 in 30-30 for range and deer.. i have little experience, but looking around on the net and asking in the stores this seems like a good deer gun - and a good caliber??

also - they have several different versions - is there some versions to stay away from??

from my research the advantages are:

common ammo (not expensive)
    30-30 strong enough for deer
    easy scope mount
    potential to use new hornady ammo (with "soft tip") extending range
    all-american

thank you in advance

br

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    LOVE mine.
    Just had it at the range two days ago. Mine is a few years older, (used when I bought it), but worth every penny I paid for it!

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've had a 336C in .35 cal for around 25-years now and love it. The gun is a quick pointing weapon and is tough as it looks. You'll love the hood over the front sight. It keeps limbs, vines and such in the woods from snagging the front sight. I've had it in all types of weather and out in the muck and the gun is very reliable.

Mine has taken several very nice deer and a few hogs to boot. The 30-30 will have WAY better ballistics than my .35, but I got it for hunting the swamps in SC. Not too much range there, but you had to have some punch for the hogs.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i am thinking about getting a marlin 336 in 30-30 for range and deer.. i have little experience, but looking around on the net and asking in the stores this seems like a good deer gun - and a good caliber??

also - they have several different versions - is there some versions to stay away from??

from my research the advantages are:

common ammo (not expensive)
    30-30 strong enough for deer
    easy scope mount
    potential to use new hornady ammo (with "soft tip") extending range
    all-american

thank you in advance

br

You should check the deer hunting regulations in the state you plan to hunt in before you buy.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy

Deer Hunting Equipment

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    FIREARMS SEASON​
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro][FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]
    Shotguns, handguns, rifles with pistol cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms season. Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms season only.​
    Shotguns​
    Shotguns must be 10, 12, 16, or 20-gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted bullets.​
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT]Rifled slug barrels are permitted.

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT][FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro][FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]Combination rifle-shotguns are not allowed.

Handguns​
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.​
    1. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT][FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro][FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.
    Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include:
    .357 Magnum
    .41 Magnum
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .45 Colt
    .45 Long Colt
    .45 Winchester Magnum
    .35 Remington
    .357 Herrett.
    Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are 38 Special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Colt New Police, 38/200, 38 Long Colt, 38 Super, 38 ACP, 38 Colt Auto, 45 ACP, 45 Automatic and 45 Auto Rim. All 25/20, 32/20 and 30 carbine ammunition is prohibited also.

Rifles with pistol cartridges​
    Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.​
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT]These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season.

Some cartridges that are legal include the following:
    .357 Magnum
    .38-40 Winchester
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .44-40 Winchester
    .45 Colt
    .454 Casull
    .458 SOCOM
    .480 Ruger
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50 Action Express
    .500 S&W
    [FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro][FONT=Adobe Garamond Pro,Adobe Garamond Pro]Some illegal rifle cartridges for deer hunting are the .30-30 Winchester, .444 Marlin and .45-70 Govt.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have a 336 in 35rem has more nockdown than 30-30 but I got mine for bear ( if I ever get to go on a hunt) I am not a 30-30 fan as well if I was you I would look at 44mag for indiana deer:twocents:

hschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    well - learned something

I only did the initial research on which would be the better weapon and caliber, and neglected the IN regulations..

which would in your view then be the better deer weapon in allowed calibers???

thnak you in advance

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I admit I'm repeating what I read in a gun mag years ago. The 30-30 is (was) one of the few 30cal crtdgs. that uses bulletsdesigned for it's velocity. Most 30 cal rifle bullets may be used in a short barrel .308 or a .300 Win Mag. The round nose 150 and 170grs were designed to be used at 1900 to 2400fps.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I only did the initial research on which would be the better weapon and caliber, and neglected the IN regulations..

which would in your view then be the better deer weapon in allowed calibers???

thnak you in advance

I bought a NEF 44 mag. Depends on what all matters to you whether it's better or not.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    To the OP:

I had a 336 in .30-30 and they are a GREAT gun! As they said, you can't hunt in Indiana with it though and it was one of the reasons I sold mine after I found this out.

IF YOU DO BUY ONE.... I HIGHLY recommend the LeveRevolution ammunition. I don't care what anyone says, I can get 1" groups at 100yrds with it and it shoots about 10-12" higher than any other round nose bullet at 100yrds. It took me some time to get mine sighted in, but right before I sold it, I got it dead on and it was a GREAT shooter. I do miss her from time to time...

Just my :twocents: on the .30-30 from the time I had mine. Actually, mine was the 30AW, which is just fancy talk for saying a 336 that was made for and sold in Walmart...

Marlin30AW001.jpg

Top Bottom