• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    A buddy of mine passed away a couple years ago. I asked his wife if I could buy one of his rifles off her as a keep sake. She offered to sell me a cowboy in 45 or 38/357. Either is fine with me; more of a remembrance than anything I'd actively shoot. That said if I did want to turn into a hunter or marksman or competition shooter overnight is there a preference out there? I was leaning toward the 357 as my kids could handle a 38 load if they ever would show any interest. I haven't seen either yet but I'm sure they're in decent condition... Obviously if one is chewed up I'd grab the other regardless...

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was having the same debate when I was looking a a new Rossi M92. I ended up opting for 357/38SPL for the following reasons:

1. It will accept more different kinds of ammo (357 & 38 as opposed to just 45LC)
    2. Less recoil with 357/38
    3. Still deer legal
    4. I don't hunt big game

Hope that helps.

vibrationeng

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    S. Indiana
    .357 is probably easier to find ammo for if you don't reload. Most .45 Colt loads don't have much recoil in a lever gun. I have both in Rossi 92s and the .45 Colt probably is my favorite to shoot with cast bullet reloads.

Phil

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I love my old Marlin 1894 .357 mag, I had the option to get a .44mag when I bought it new in the 80s, can't remember if .45lc was available at that time or not.

I have never regreted my decision.

edit;
    I would like to have a .45lc as well but if I had to choose one or the other it would be .357

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As a shooter, I would go with the 357. Ammo is going to be a bit less expensive, and easier to find. As a reloader, and a hunter, I would say go with the .45, it has heavier bullets, and potentially more energy than the .357.

Both can cleanly take a deer, if you were so inclined to hunt with it, but if your primary intent is a keepsake that will occasionally go to the range, the .357 will probably better serve your interests.

Top Bottom