• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Nov 25, 2008
    I saw that Ruger released the 10-22 Liberty rifle that's due to come out this spring in response to the contest where they had people voting on their website. I didn't know if anyone had heard of it yet, but I was hoping to find a comparison between the Marlin 795LTR and the new 10-22 Liberty whenever they hit the streets.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would like to know how adjustable the rear sight is, be a shame to chuck it in the parts drawer because it takes opposing allen keys to change windage.

The front sight looks a bit huge.

The flash hider is not functionally needed, though if you are an instructor and loan rifles a lot it can be a crown saver. My 10-22 has one.

The adjustable stock is a minor thing in my mind though many will appreciate it. Knowing Ruger it will at least be well done, not Tapco-ish.

The Ruger looks kewler, but I don't think it will shoot $200 worth better. In fact, I know it will not.

YHJ

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Nov 25, 2008
    The rear sight is something that concerned me and the way the rail extends over the receiver. I could see the threaded barrel as a nice suppressor host.

x10

Master
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm a fan of the 10/22 rifle, I built one up before they came out, The ruger is a reliable solid firearm, the accesories available for the ruger will always be far ahead of the marlin and at the end of the day have more resale value,
    the flashhider is kinda hokey but since I bought my suppressor a few year ago I think every 22 rimfire should be threaded

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Honestly for the money you can absolutely not beat the 795 LTR. It's a hell of a rifle. I have about 900 rounds through mine and not a problem. it is definitely more accurate than a out of the box 10-22 imo. the trigger is better, the sights are better, the barrel is better, it comes with a sling and swivels. it's ready to roll out of the box for 275 bucks and I'm not sure you can beat that.

the one downside and my friend YHJ is going to yell at me is that the mags don't drop free. it takes some work to make them do it but is possible. do you really need them to drop free? No. many of rifleman scores have been shot using the marlin regardless of mags dropping free but the soldier in me just can't get use to it for speed reloads ect. however I have had no problem shooting mine and scoring 220's and up with it.

The ruger LTR I haven't played with but is it really going to be worth 200 bucks more and still needing money put in it? IMO only if you already have a few 10-22's and don't want to have to go to a new platform and buy different mags. However if your not invested in the 10-22 the marlin is a much better deal and completely set up ready to roll. I have plenty of ruger 10-22's I built and some factory. the only thing I prefer on the ruger is the drop free mags.

I'm not sure if the marlins come with the free appleseed certificate or not but if they do there is pretty much no reason to look at another rimfire right now.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    The mags dont drop free on my 1903, they dont drop free on any of the Thompsons I have handled and only half the M1 carbines and you have to hit an awkwardly placed button to drop an empty mag on a Garand. By god if those damn guns didnt kill more krauts than you can shake a sick at. An M14s mags dont drop free and I don't knowa Marine that went balls deep into the rice paddies of Nam that didn't think trading his M14 for an M16 was a crime against humanity.

Long story short, only foolish gun owners believe high cost of the arm can supplant skill. Smart gun owners make cost effective decisions. Does a 10-22 shoot 200 bucks bettet than a 795? No.

Not only that, but I negotiated with Ruger three years ago when we first approached them about this and they refused to make an out of the box 10-22 with tech sights and sling studs because the price of 400 bucks would push them out of the low end rimfire market. They also stated flatly that they would not charge less than 400 (we asked for 290). They hope to Hell to sell a ton of these rifles but at no point do they really expect to. Their market analysis tell them all they want to know. It really isnt that much rifle for 400. I hope they sell a ton because it would be good for Appleseed and i think Appleseed is good for Merica, but one of those rifles is a value and the other can be put together cheaper and with bettet sights bya guy with Internet access and a flat head screwdriver.

The guy who won this is a GREAT guy anda real Patriot.

buckstopshere

Master
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Honestly for the money you can absolutely not beat the 795 LTR. It's a hell of a rifle. I have about 900 rounds through mine and not a problem. it is definitely more accurate than a out of the box 10-22 imo. the trigger is better, the sights are better, the barrel is better, it comes with a sling and swivels. it's ready to roll out of the box for 275 bucks and I'm not sure you can beat that.

the one downside and my friend YHJ is going to yell at me is that the mags don't drop free. it takes some work to make them do it but is possible. do you really need them to drop free? No. many of rifleman scores have been shot using the marlin regardless of mags dropping free but the soldier in me just can't get use to it for speed reloads ect. however I have had no problem shooting mine and scoring 220's and up with it.

The ruger LTR I haven't played with but is it really going to be worth 200 bucks more and still needing money put in it? IMO only if you already have a few 10-22's and don't want to have to go to a new platform and buy different mags. However if your not invested in the 10-22 the marlin is a much better deal and completely set up ready to roll. I have plenty of ruger 10-22's I built and some factory. the only thing I prefer on the ruger is the drop free mags.

I'm not sure if the marlins come with the free appleseed certificate or not but if they do there is pretty much no reason to look at another rimfire right now.

FTW /thread

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike the 10-22, I have owned several. I invested the money to cerakote my remaining one and I am refinishing the walnut stock in hand rubbed oil. It is beautiful and it shoots wonderfully. But I don't subscribe to the idea that a marketplace full of upgrade parts makes the rifle itself better. It doesn't.

There are no upgrade parts out there for a Purdy or a Holland and Holland either.

YHJ

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you have a 10-22 looking to Appleseed then a trigger job by brimstone like a tier 2 or 3 and a upgraded sight is all you need to add. You can spend any amount on 10-22 upgrades the biggest bang for your buck is going to be the trigger.

The Marlin is the standard issue military rifle so to speak. Sure you can buy some upgrades but they are mil spec so to speak also.

I still want to shoot an Appleseed with a marlin 39a and see if I can overcome a few of the difficulties associated with qualifying with a lever gun. When I get that figured out maybe I can sell my own marlin 39appleseed upgrade kits.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Plenty of Rifleman scores have been shot with 10-22s in factory trim (no bolt release mod, no aftermarket barrel, and factory trigger). All they NEED is a second magazine and sling studs. They can definitely benefit from a better sight system (Tech Sights or scope). The 10-22 is a sufficient rifle.

I have to say though, I'm not impressed with Ruger's interpretation of Gary's rifle. Their refusal to use Tech Sights is a major fail in my opinion. It looks like they've found a way to put the craptastic Mini-14 sights on a 10-22. The only thing I hate about my Mini-14 is the factory sights. The adjustments are imprecise and not practical for field use. Also that front post doesn't just look huge, it is huge. The front post on my Mini-14 is 12 MOA.

If the Ruger hits the shelves at $200 over the Marlin, I'd buy the Marlin in a heartbeat. I'd spend the extra money on an Appleseed event or two and ammo. I'd take a factory Marlin 795 over a factory 10-22 and I'd definitely take a Marlin 795 LTR over Ruger's interpretation of Gary's 10-22 LTR, even if they were even money.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think it'd be fun to compare the two rifles side by side. I've got a 10-22 with better trigger, tech sights and sling studs. I've always stayed away from the 795 because I wanted higher capacity mags than 10 rounds. From the sounds of it Promag might have actually gotten something right with their aftermarket 795 25rd mag. It won't take long and somebody on the internet will do a comparison review of the two rifles.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you have a 10-22 looking to Appleseed then a trigger job by brimstone like a tier 2 or 3 and a upgraded sight is all you need to add. You can spend any amount on 10-22 upgrades the biggest bang for your buck is going to be the trigger.

The Marlin is the standard issue military rifle so to speak. Sure you can buy some upgrades but they are mil spec so to speak also.

I still want to shoot an Appleseed with a marlin 39a and see if I can overcome a few of the difficulties associated with qualifying with a lever gun. When I get that figured out maybe I can sell my own marlin 39appleseed upgrade kits.

Shooting a rifleman score with my 39A is one of my goals also. So far, no problems with stage 1 or 4. The transition stages are where my score falls apart. I've figured out that I need to shoot stage 2 from kneeling. But both Stage 2 and 3 are going to take more practice. I also need to change out my front sight ... I'm using a Williams peep sight on the rear that came with one of their "fire sights" for the front ... a nice bright red dot on top of a slender post that I used to think was cool, but after learning how to shoot a rifle at Appleseed is really just distracting.

Let me know how you fare with your 39A ... I hope to see you on the line.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would like to know how adjustable the rear sight is, be a shame to chuck it in the parts drawer because it takes opposing allen keys to change windage.

The front sight looks a bit huge.

The flash hider is not functionally needed, though if you are an instructor and loan rifles a lot it can be a crown saver. My 10-22 has one.

The adjustable stock is a minor thing in my mind though many will appreciate it. Knowing Ruger it will at least be well done, not Tapco-ish.

The Ruger looks kewler, but I don't think it will shoot $200 worth better. In fact, I know it will not.

YHJ

But a flash hider is cooler than a simple knurled thread protector like on the new 22/45 lightweights and other guns with threads.

I like the gun overall.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Somebody ask brianheeter to post his pic from the first 795 LTR group he shot with his sights carded.

The problem with Gary's rifle is that Ruger is unwilling to build the rifle he envisioned. I can see what he was trying to do, and that is a beautiful thing, but they won't build that. Like many Ruger products, they build something about 90% great and then screw the gun owner wroth the weirded out ten percent (exclusions being their revolvers and old model 77s).

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    You always have to make compromised in stuff like this. We tried to get an inch and a quarter sling for the Marlin. They wanteda one inch sling because it dabbed 3 bucks. The mocked up a prototype of a second edition using a wood stock from a model 60 that Brown and I went bonkers over. We didn't get it. I am site there are compromises made in the Roger rifle as well. My concern is that those compromises may reduce the rifle below is intention. At this point I don't even think Gary knows of the sights are click adjustable. I am waiting from word from someone who sawit at SHOT

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I saw that Ruger released the 10-22 Liberty rifle that's due to come out this spring in response to the contest where they had people voting on their website. I didn't know if anyone had heard of it yet, but I was hoping to find a comparison between the Marlin 795LTR and the new 10-22 Liberty whenever they hit the streets.

I did a quick search and could not find anything on this beyond the contest last Fall. Can anyone provide a link to an announcement or write up on the release?

Top Bottom