• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Have they got this hammered out, or is the quality of the new Marlin rifles as horrible as it seems it was for a few years? I'm thinking of purchasing a new Marlin, but I'm worried about the horror stories I've read. Most of the stories seem to be a couple of years old, so I'm wondering if anything has changed.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I have a friend that owns a gun shop and he won't stock Marlin lever actions because of the poor quality. The actions are jerky and the wood is poor at best. The .22s on the other hand are great and work fine. They have sold tons of Marlin Model 60's with no problems.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I bought a new Marlin XT 17 earlier in the summer and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I've handled some of the new levers in 45-70 and .35 rem they seem good to go and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With all of the bolt actions you should have no real problems. Remington is good at making bolt action rifles and when they Cerberus company bought marlin outright the bolt action 22 production went to the same Kentucky plant that makes many of the rem 22's.

being a big lever action rifle fan I have been displeased with most all marlin lever actions made since about 2009. I truly believe that after the takeover that old second stock (like il fitting wood and off center actions) were pulled from the seconds or scrAp pile assembled and rushed to market and I saw some horrid examples of what they were referring to as
    lever action rifles. Marlin/Cerberus then stopped all lever production for about 6 months to retool and train. The stuff is now better but still lacks the quality of older models. They are now making the cheapest models of the 336 for the big box market as the profit
    margin is ok and they sell tons of them. Gone are the special models and many of the calibers that they used to produce. No 35 rem no 444 marlin, no 450.308 or 338 marlin express. No xlr's and much fewer 1894's. The cheaper 336's seem better quality wise now but the wood looks plastic . Fit on metal to wood is better and the marlin jam are fewer and the barrels seem to be straight now. That was not the case from 2009 till last year.

real marlins have a JM with a circle around it. I will pass on the new ones until a see a better quality product. That said I would still recommend a 336 30-30 new marlin lever. I think they got that one model back in line but the old ones are still much better.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    I have a new marlin model 60 and a few old ones. The new one is stainless and am pleased with the fit of the barrel and receiver but the stock is the laminated stock there's a place on the but stock about the size of a silver dollar that apparently they missed in the sanding. You can see and feel the machine marks on it. It don't effect the shooting but I think for $250 bucks they could do better than that. Also have a older model 795 that is a nice shooting gun so thinking that I'd get another new one I'd do that. I looked at new ones and their not even close on the fit of the stock to the barrel. I'd say a quarter inch gap. I passed on that deal and find another older one someday I realize there good and bad in all but I don't think their not the same as they used to be by fa

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I looked at 4 marlin 45-70's then ended up buying the Henry. Actions were stiff and gritty feeling. Triggers were heavy and the stocks looked like they were fit with a pocket knife and sand paper. I was very disappointed. I hope they get there act together! for now I'd stick with a Henry. Maybe even a Rossi. Or an older Marlin.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    The .22s are still very good. The barrel quality is very good. The big bore bolters are good. The levers seemed to be poor. I would get a Rossi lever

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I looked at 4 marlin 45-70's then ended up buying the Henry. Actions were stiff and gritty feeling. Triggers were heavy and the stocks looked like they were fit with a pocket knife and sand paper. I was very disappointed. I hope they get there act together! for now I'd stick with a Henry. Maybe even a Rossi. Or an older Marlin.

^^^^ He explained it a lot better then I did. The price between a Henry and a Marlin 45-70 is $70-$90 and the Henry is a 1000 times better

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Look at the new 870s.

All the new marlins are built pretty much identical as far as quality control goes. If you find that acceptable, go for it, but I don't feel either is currently acceptable.

It's not hard to find an older marlin that is built right, it's also a fair deal cheaper.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Went to a LGS this morning to look at a 4595TS and instead looked over at their other rifles including the Marlin 30-30. I've never tried a lever action before but the lever on this one seemed fine to me. Not sure about it being "tight" or "gritty". It functioned smooth and as I aimed it out the window towards the sky and other indoor targets, the sight and barrel seemed straight. I also looked at the Rossi .44 and it was very light and the biggest difference between the two was the area where you load the bullets. The Marlin was very smooth and no sharp edges whereas the Rossi was "knife-like". I can see if you were in a hurry loading the Rossi, it's comparable to getting multiple paper cuts or a quick knife slice if practicing a balisong.
    If it wasn't for the price and not too good of a trade-in, I would have bought it. Now I'm looking at the retail sporting goods stores and they have it a lot cheaper. I'll compare my experience with this Marlin with the retail ones. I can't find any Mossberg 464s. Am I the only one who finds the Mossberg 464 SPX "cool" and "good looking"?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Like I said the newest of the 336 30-30 rifles that marlin is doing right now seem to have only overall quality issues with the cheapness that they do making the price point they need to mass market them. I don't function is good accuracy is good. They got one that they do ok and still have the rest to figure out.

I have yet to see post shutdown 1894's or 1895's. The big loop version or the guide guns. Only time will tell.

To to me the very best of quality and modern am nice making advancements seemed to fall into to time periods in marlin history. The mid-late 1950's and the mid 1970's to mid 1980's. Not to say I do not have a few outside those years but they were all special run items.

I remember buying a model 39a sending it in to marlin for a restore and for under 150 I got reblued I new lifter spring, extractor some action smoothing and trigger smoothing and a leather malin sling. Turn around time was 47 days from me shipping to receiving it back. Looked new worked great and the leather sling was wonderful. That is the marlin I miss
    most.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Did the same..

I remember buying a model 39a sending it in to marlin for a restore and for under 150 I got reblued I new lifter spring, extractor some action smoothing and trigger smoothing and a leather malin sling. Turn around time was 47 days from me shipping to receiving it back. Looked new worked great and the leather sling was wonderful.
    ^^^
    I did the same in the '80's, John, on my '68' vintage 39A. My first rifle ($89.95) in 1968--bought with paper route $$.

I had all springs/screws replaced, new outter shot tube, new Gold Trigger, and sling swivels installed, along with a factory re-blue. I think?? it ran me around $90.00+came back like NEW!!

It sets in my safe, to go to our first Son..Bill.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Issues with barrel cant on every 795 I've seen in stores and the POS that I own. Garbage, can't even set sights straight. Terrible trigger.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's a little to space age for me. Too tacticool. My son on the other hand would love it! I'll stick with my plain Jane Henry's

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The Mossberg 464 SPX must be an acquired taste. I laughed out loud the first time I saw one......... I just looked at it again, and it's still funny.

Whoa damn, that is the ugliest gun I've ever seen. The High Point 4595 looks sleek by comparison. It is just so gawd awful ugly that I wish I could unsee it!

Top Bottom