• ...and so much more!
  • Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Long story short.

My Dad gave my 12y.o. son his 1955 Marlin 39A. Great shooting rifle and my son was in heaven. Only problem was, it ALWAYS jams when loading. No worries, I took it to The Outdoorsman in Greenwood and they in turn sent it to Marlin. I wanted it fixed, even at a moderate expense. Capitalizing proper names ends here...for the offending party.

marlin/remington sent it back unrepaired as it is obsolete and "outdated". They didn't bother to tell me or The Outdoorsman what parts were needed or what was wrong. I haven't picked up the rifle yet but when I do, I'll post a copy of the "techs" notes and then I'll be calling marlin/remington.

They use this line on their website: "A must-have for every gun collector. It has been in continuous production longer than any other rifle in America." Only problem is, it's not really still in production apparently. I will update this post as I do battle with these b-sturds.

I'm open to any suggestions or help I can get as I would love for this little gun to stay in the family and be functional.

It really burns my biscuits that I also own a newer 1894SS. I'll put that sucker up for sale quickly if they don't make this right. I was planning on owning a 700 in .308 but again, I'll certainly be looking in other directions.

:xmad:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I can see your frustration - but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Whatever problems Marlin/Remington have now, doesn't affect that they made a quality rifle over many years. My dad has a few Marlin 39As, and they are super guns. His 1968 Golden 39A Mountie was the first gun I shot.

I'm betting you can find someone that will fix it. I'm not real familiar, but I don't think they are the complicated, and are solid rifles. Not sure I'd waste energy with Marlin, but that's up to you. If you know you're just gonna get frustrated, go a different direction. Of course, I also understand standing up for the principle. You have to decide how to handle that.

I'd suggest you head over the Marlin Owners Forum and see what you can find out. I'm sure it will be a wealth of knowledge specific to your rifle, and a place to find good resources.

Good luck!!!

Marlin Firearms Forum

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Perhaps I can shed a little light on the Marlin "outdated" issue. A few years ago, I had a similar situation with a 39A Mountie--my very first gun given to me by my father.

When I called Marlin, the lady with whom I spoke told me that Marlin will work on its firearms up to 50 years old but not after that.

In my case, I couldn't believe it: based on the serial number, the gun was 49 years, 9 months old. It was on its way to Marlin the next morning, and the repair work Marlin did was nothing short of fabulous!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a friend in Greenfield, who has been a Gumsmith, for 30 years, Ret. INARNG Small Arms... let me know, if you want me to ask him if he will take a look at it ...

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Find a local gunsmith to make the repairs. They will be simple at most and should be fairly cheap. When it is repaired you will still have the best 22 lever action ever built. Don't sell the 1894 either - it is also a fine weapon. Remington still makes a fine model 700. Don't let one barrier affect your fine judgement on great firearms. Good shooting.

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Thats too bad what they told you. I'm the proud owner of a Golden 39A too. I can't remember how old mine is exactly but probably close to 40 years old and if it needed work after turning 50 I would be angry as well. The inside of these 39A's are not complicated at all. I couldn't imagine it needing much. Let us know what you find out.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    You guys are doing a great job of cooling me down. How can remington claim that it is the oldest still in production if it's not? If they won't "honor" their history, what makes me believe they'll hold up their end of the bargain on future purchases.

Secondly, I'd love reccomendations on gunsmiths local to me. I'm on the SE side and The Outdoorsman likes a guy in Columbus. I'm new to needing a smith so any advice is appreciated.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    I can see your frustration - but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Whatever problems Marlin/Remington have now, doesn't affect that they made a quality rifle over many years. My dad has a few Marlin 39As, and they are super guns. His 1968 Golden 39A Mountie was the first gun I shot.

I'm betting you can find someone that will fix it. I'm not real familiar, but I don't think they are the complicated, and are solid rifles. Not sure I'd waste energy with Marlin, but that's up to you. If you know you're just gonna get frustrated, go a different direction. Of course, I also understand standing up for the principle. You have to decide how to handle that.

I'd suggest you head over the Marlin Owners Forum and see what you can find out. I'm sure it will be a wealth of knowledge specific to your rifle, and a place to find good resources.

Good luck!!!

Marlin Firearms Forum
    Good advice.99% of the people that spent most of their lives working at Marlin got s#*t canned by Remington in 2009' when the plant moved to NY.They didn't take the people or machines and no one there knows what they are doing.Thats why there are so many QC issues.I think it was a good thing they didn't work on your rifle.Hit the rimfire category at marlinowners and and you should get your answer.Sounds to me like the round is at a bad angle when you cycle the action,probably a simple fix.Good luck.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Good advice.99% of the people that spent most of their lives working at Marlin got s#*t canned by Remington in 2009' when the plant moved to NY.They didn't take the people or machines and no one there knows what they are doing.Thats why there are so many QC issues.I think it was a good thing they didn't work on your rifle.Hit the rimfire category at marlinowners and and you should get your answer.Sounds to me like the round is at a bad angle when you cycle the action,probably a simple fix.Good luck.

Good deduction. I just can't find the problem and neither could Outdoorsman. I remember shooting this rifle when I was a kid and it has done this forever.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Not really. Load a few rounds in magazine. Chamber one, fire, try to chamber another and shell ejects well, lever is locked open. VERY open. no wiggle forward or rearward, just locked. It's very easy to remedy by just breaking it down and "un-jamming" but it happens too often. I'd say 85-95% jam. It's basically a great single shot lever action. I don't want my 12 y.o. breaking down a live weapon that often. I did it, my dad did it...but...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Have you taken it all the way apart? Have you compared the parts to a schematic? Has it ever been detail cleaned through and through? Has the lever ever been changed? Is the malfunction EVERY TIME no matter what regardless of how many rounds are in the tube? Did it malfunction like this new?

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Is the spring in the tube good? Trying to visualize mine broke down but, when you have it broke in two, when you work the lever does it move freely? There is if I remember correctly a little piece off the main lever that guides the loaded round into the chamber, is it free and not worn? I'm sure you tried every ammo available, does it happen to any kind of ammo?

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Have you taken it all the way apart? Have you compared the parts to a schematic? Has it ever been detail cleaned through and through? Has the lever ever been changed? Is the malfunction EVERY TIME no matter what regardless of how many rounds are in the tube? Did it malfunction like this new?

yes. no. yes. no. no, not round dependent. and...well...not really sure.

Do lever guns need the lever changed at intervals?

Last edited:

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Is the spring in the tube good? Trying to visualize mine broke down but, when you have it broke in two, when you work the lever does it move freely? There is if I remember correctly a little piece off the main lever that guides the loaded round into the chamber, is it free and not worn? I'm sure you tried every ammo available, does it happen to any kind of ammo?

You do know the gun for sure. The mag spring seems good. Not basing this on experience, just feel. The lever moves very freely when disassembled but seems a bit "catchy" when assembled. The "guide" doesn't seem too worn but I'm really a bit unfamiliar. Ammo...well, I've shot just about everything in it since I was a kid and stole it from the closet. Even more since it's been available to me legitimately. It all fails.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    hmmm...normally with a malfunction that is THAT predictable one can normally identify the cause. Is it jaming on the lifter? jamming w/ a round coming out of the mag tube? or just the lever getting froze?

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    If I can pick it up tomorrow, I'll be more detailed. I doubt that will happen. If I had to guess/remember, it's jamming as the round exits the mag. Seems that the next round is hanging up in the cycle.

hmmm...normally with a malfunction that is THAT predictable one can normally identify the cause. Is it jaming on the lifter? jamming w/ a round coming out of the mag tube? or just the lever getting froze?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just because it's been in production a long time that doesn't mean it's remained unchanged in that run.

If they do have a 50 yr policy on repairables that may be to lessen variety of stored parts/limit workload.

Probably an easy fix, parts in stock at Numrichs. If there have been changes, expect to get the version of part you DON'T need..........either they grab the wrong one or have the wrong ones under the right number. Get that about 1/2 the time ordering from them.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When I called Marlin, the lady with whom I spoke told me that Marlin will work on its firearms up to 50 years old but not after that.

Yes even before the takeover Marlin would repair them for 50 years only.

I have/had sent in a few. One needed re blued and a new outer tube. It cost me 115 including shipping, Not bad for a re blue job, <

Top Bottom