• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I've just started reloading and had some rounds for my wife's 45 XD compact to test. I also wanted to try some new prospective hollow points through my Savage MkII BV. I had to make it a quick trip because I had other things to do as well. I loaded my gear in the car:

I decided to stop for some McSustenance, but apparently their drive-thru intercom was down. Good to see they can improvise!

With McSustenance obtained I was on my way.

It turns out the car was thirsty too!

Finally, I was on my way. Normally, it's only 30 minutes from my driveway to the gate, but my extra stops put me a tad behind. About 20 minutes after fueling up I started seeing the tell-tale signs of Martinsville.

Coming from Bloomington, I made a right hand turn here:

And drove right past here:

A short ways down the road I came to a bridge:

Immediately after the bridge I made a sharp left turn:

But not THAT sharp of a turn!

The range is the only thing on this road:

WELCOME!

We have a nice RFID electronic gate that makes access easy from the driver's seat.

Immediately to the right is a shelter house for family picnics.

And a small pond for fishing.

*Disclaimer: I've never actually fished this pond and cannot promise there is anything worth catching in it.

There is also a large dumpster provided for trash and target disposal.

Here's the clubhouse.

A narrow lane heads to the firing ranges.

1/4 mile after the clubhouse you come to the first pistol bay.

MSCC has some rules:

Including this one for Pistol Bay #1

It's a decent little 25 yard bay:

Just past Pistol Bay #1 is the 125 yard Rifle Bay.
    [IMG=http://imageshack.us/a/img28/854/imag0322bk.jpg][/IMG]

It has some nice concrete top benches.

Across the way is the shotgun range.

A short drive down the road will bring you to the last bays.

And the future 300 yard rifle bay.

I set my target.

*Special thanks to my local median advertisers!

And got my things ready.

And tried two different loads for function.

I'm a lousy shot, I was just doing a quick function check. They worked.

I also had some rounds to try through my Savage.

The Armscor RN have been excellent in every rifle I've tried them through at Appleseeds. At $25 per 500 at my local surplus, they are worth every cent!

I was hoping for good things from the Armscor HP, but became less hopeful when I opened them. The hollowpoint openings are deformed on almost every round. I would be concerned about inconsistent terminal ballistics on a squirrel.

The Centurion HP look very promising! These are only $2.25 per 50 pack at Traildust.

*Note the Aguilla headstamp. These are Eley primed.

I circled some quarters to make ~1" targets and took aim.

Looks like I need to tighten that nut holding the stock! Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and it showed. My support elbow was a little wobbly and I didn't have as solid of a position as I should have. Still, the Centurion looks promising on paper and will likely become my go-to squirrel round. I just need to re-zero the scope and I should be good to go.

After doing all of the necessary things I had 42 rounds for the 45 that I had loaded to too long OAL. I needed to remove the lead bullets so I could reclaim the other components. My crimp meant that the bullets would likely be a lost cause after removal, so I decided to remove them the easy way; and sent them flying down range. Sorry, no action shots are after shots of the target.

When I was finished I packed up my things and gathered my brass. I also picked up a few pieces of random trash left by other people. I also checked the brass buckets.

*This is a common sighting around here! Apparently, there are a lot of reloaders in the club.

A few notes on Martinsville Sportman's Conservation Club. Membership is $85 per year plus a one-time $25 fee for the RFID card. It is limited to 500 members per year. This year there were 41 open spots, I was number 38. I have met a lot of great people there and have never had to wait for a bay to open. Most people are happy to share a bay if they see someone waiting. Also, club members are allowed to hunt and fish there. I believe there are ~160 acres total for the members to hunt. I am glad to be a member there and am happy to show any prospective members around. Here's the club's website for those that might be interested: http://www.sportsmansconservationclub.org/

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Nicely done. Also a member there. You are correct on all counts. Nice place. Nice people. A lot of improvements the last few years.

Top Bottom