• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedDot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    Sorry if this has been answered 100's of times before.

I may be moving to Maryland in a year or so. I read on their law enforcement website that personal protection permits are only issued with proof of being a victim of battery, assault or repeated threatening AND they don't honor our carry permit. Is there any class I can take here that will allow me to carry there? Or any suggestions?

Thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you were to get an out of state non-resident permit that Maryland accepts (good luck...) then as soon as you move to MD, that permit is null and void as you are now a resident of the state.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Really just moving there for 2 years for school... I might not become a resident I'm not sure if I have too.

If you're being charged out of state tuition.... a license granted by another state that is honored by Maryland will save you.

If you're paying IN-state tuition... you're screwed because you have to declare residency to receive in-state tuition rates.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    allow me to carry there?

you're a funny guy....

any suggestions?

don't move there.

I was never happier to leave MD, and not just because of guns. Lived there for almost 10 years. Crime, traffic, attitudes, costs. Be prepared for waiting periods on "assault weapons" and handguns. Handguns have to have internal locks or you have to buy chamber locks. Handguns have to come with shell casings from the manufacturer. No private sales of handguns. No buying mags bigger than 20 rounds in state. There is an approved handgun list to deal with. Carrying loaded mags in your car, even separate from the gun, is the same crime as carrying a loaded gun. To buy more than one gun per month, or even legally transport a gun to other than a range/gunsmith/store, you have to register with the state police as a collector.

Bright spot, it's one of the most NFA friendly states out there (shh, we tried to keep that secret from the legislature).

Also, registration is "voluntary," so don't go taking a list of your guns to the state police despite what the police or gun dealers will tell you.

Maryland Shall Issue is a good grass roots group of people working for shall-issue, with no success. I spent a couple days of vacation at the statehouse supporting pro-2a efforts every year and lots of hours letter writing, etc, but I think they are stonewalled until some key legislators (committee chairs) are voted out or get hit by buses.

The eastern shore and western MD are like different states personality and crime wise than the DC/Baltimore metroplex, but the same laws apply.

There are some very active clubs in MD and not far into PA and VA so it's possible to do a lot of shooting whatever your interest.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    the "strongly supported" was MSI's opinion of the bill.

the house committee issued an unfavorable report on the bill, meaning it didn't make it out of committee and was not voted on by the house. the senate took no action on the bill... ie it's dead.

-rvb

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Sorry if this has been answered 100's of times before.

I may be moving to Maryland in a year or so. I read on their law enforcement website that personal protection permits are only issued with proof of being a victim of battery, assault or repeated threatening AND they don't honor our carry permit. Is there any class I can take here that will allow me to carry there? Or any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Have a friend hit you, real hard, a couple times. :D

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Its not a bad idea. Just enough to get a police report. Get hit hard, black eye, let them "take" a valuable you are carrying (iPod), file a police report, take pictures, there you go.

no, not a chance. If you are a woman, and have a court ordered restraining order, and the attacker has a violent record, and threats were made before witnesses, and media and grass-roots political groups start talking lawsuits, then maybe, just maybe, you get a carry permit. Good luck getting it renewed. That was a specific example from a woman who was able to get a MD carry permit a couple years back.

Otherwise, there are two ways you can get a permit... be a politician or politically connected, or carry large sums of cash for your business. In the later case, the permit will be restricted to times you are actually carrying X amount of dollars on your person. Be prepared to show regular business records documenting such a need. I only knew a couple citizens with permits in my years there.

Face it, you're not legally carrying in MD......

-rvb

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    rvb said:
    Face it, you're not legally carrying in MD......

-rvb

One more state to add to the short list of states that won't be receiving my vacationing/tourism dollars.

Already on the List are:

California
    Illinois
    New Jersey

I'd add NY State/NY City but I've been overruled by the Household Supreme Court... she'll give me California and Chicago but she gets to keep her NYC vacationing rights :D

Top Bottom