• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    The people Maryland must be insane to let this go through.
    Or they had to run this "under the radar" so to speak to get it passed.

Maryland Governor Taxes Rain

What happens if you don't pay these taxes, do they shut-off the rain? LOL:):
    What if you collect your rain to use in your pool or garden, do you still have to pay this tax? It sounds like a way for some high up politicians to fill their pockets.
    They say they lost 31,000 people..........Duh if I had taxes like this I would be looking for somewhere else to live too!
    Come on guys if you let them do it in one place others will try to copy it somewhere else. Stupid taxes like this need to stop. :twocents:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The tax, mandated by the EPA and enforced locally, will be calculated "through satellite surveillance of your property," the statement claims.

This sentence makes my skin crawl for several different reasons.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    That sucks. And I'll bet they don't recognize the use of rain barrels to capture some of that water either.

If you can catch it in a rain barrel, you probably aren't subject to the tax. This will affect large commercial properties primarily.

And don't suppose that government/public structures are subject, despite the effect they have on runoff (think streets and highways, eg.)...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you can catch it in a rain barrel, you probably aren't subject to the tax. This will affect large commercial properties primarily.

And don't suppose that government/public structures are subject, despite the effect they have on runoff (think streets and highways, eg.)...

Oh, you are quite correct on the latter. Direct link.

PROPERTY OWNED BY THE STATE, A UNIT OF STATE GOVERNMENT, A COUNTY, A MUNICIPALITY, OR A REGULARLY ORGANIZED VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT THAT IS USED FOR PUBLIC PURPOSES MAY NOT BE CHARGED A STORMWATER REMEDIATION FEE UNDER THIS SECTION.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The satellite monitoring will probably cost more than they gain from the taxes, but that is government for you.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Nothing new about this, a group here in Marion County tried to convince city officials to tax all runoff from your property back in the mid '90's. I believe it was The Marion County Homeowners Association that was proposing this crap. Their plan was to tax every square inch of non permeable surface on your property. That would have included your roof, sidewalks, porches, stepping stones, driveways, anything that would not absorb water.

Part of the proposal was a backdoor attempt to begin setting the precedent of taxing normally tax exempt entities such as churches, etc...

Top Bottom