• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Thoughts and prayers to everyone in the town and all the emergency personnel. I actually know a family that lives right outside of Waco, TX and hope they are okay.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Right now every report I have read is saying 5-15 dead so far, that's very tragic but better than the 60-80 others reports have reported. I'm sure the death toll will go up after they can get in and find bodies. It's been a very tragic and trying week in America. Wether this was a act of criminal activity,terrorism,weather related or whatever it's unreal to see the early videos and pics from the incident. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this incident including the first responders and this rather small Texas community. This week has been a rude reminder of just how valuable or time on Earth truly is these days.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This appears to be a BLEVE-boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion.

There are what appears to be two 8,000 ish gallon tanks that could have propane in them. they would have been heated up by the fire and BLEVE'd. The blast is typical of that amout of propane going boom.

Normally those tanks are over 100 feet from any buildings, but these were right up against the building on fire.

The wild card is what was in the building. Some have explosion proof rooms with special electrical when mixing chemicals, but the buildings don't look like those types. Could have been a electrical issue but that area doesn't blow up like that if they are doing things right.

Everything points to bleve from what I can tell from the overhead pictures.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    This appears to be a BLEVE-boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion.

There are what appears to be two 8,000 ish gallon tanks that could have propane in them. they would have been heated up by the fire and BLEVE'd. The blast is typical of that amout of propane going boom.

Normally those tanks are over 100 feet from any buildings, but these were right up against the building on fire.

The wild card is what was in the building. Some have explosion proof rooms with special electrical when mixing chemicals, but the buildings don't look like those types. Could have been a electrical issue but that area doesn't blow up like that if they are doing things right.

Everything points to bleve from what I can tell from the overhead pictures.

:+1: On your assessment, that was a bleve. Looking at google earth there are A LOT of large high pressure tanks way to close to that fertilizer building. In the video of the explosion that building was completely involved and the wind was blowing right at them.
    I would think they are NH3 as they have a lot of tank wagons on the lot, but it could be propane too. With that much heat on them it really doesn't matter it is force of the bleve that exploded the hot burning fertilizer, kinda like a primer on gun powder.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Look, I know they never thought of it, but anyone who thinks it's a good idea to hang out recording a fire at an industrial plant....well, a lot of people thought that ship accident in Halifax Harbor was neat to watch too:

Halifax Explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A safe distance is way the heck away from whatever is going on.

Yup, would not want to be near a fertilizer plant on fire. Talked to the guys at our local plant today and they said it is common practice to let buildings containing herbicides to just burn, adding water can actually make a bad situation worse.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Almost 10% of West has been killed or injured by this. We have 1 employee with family killed (first responder) and another with a family member seriously injured. Another 9 have serious property damage or complete loss. We gave up a hangar so the responders could set up their staging area; airplanes are out on the Tarmac.
    Turning out better than would be expected here; not good, but could be much worse. The city of Waco has really stepped up to support West. Lots of people offering up their homes to strangers. Some construction companies are offering free services to make homes livable quickly. Huge linesmen blood donations.
    Keep in mind, our closest level 1 trama center is in Dallas (1.5 hours north). And there's only 1 there. I believe Boston has 3 or 4, by comparison.

Personal update: my family is completely unaffected. We're 30miles south (furthest part of Waco from West), didn't hear it inside the house.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Almost 10% of West has been killed or injured by this. We have 1 employee with family killed (first responder) and another with a family member seriously injured. Another 9 have serious property damage or complete loss. We gave up a hangar so the responders could set up their staging area; airplanes are out on the Tarmac.
    Turning out better than would be expected here; not good, but could be much worse. The city of Waco has really stepped up to support West. Lots of people offering up their homes to strangers. Some construction companies are offering free services to make homes livable quickly. Huge linesmen blood donations.
    Keep in mind, our closest level 1 trama center is in Dallas (1.5 hours north). And there's only 1 there. I believe Boston has 3 or 4, by comparison.

Personal update: my family is completely unaffected. We're 30miles south (furthest part of Waco from West), didn't hear it inside the house.

Thank you for the first hand account.We all wish you a speedy recovery,and prayers sent.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Maybe somebody 'fessed up.

Nope. They offered a puny 50K reward for info. Given the size and devastation of the explosion, I'm guessing they are pulling this info out of their asses. There was nothing left at the site but a huge crater. I can't see how any evidence survived.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom