• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I've got a Mauser M48 that I'd like to slicken up a little. It's accurate enough, the trigger isn't too terrible, and the ammo is cheap enough for it to be a shooter. I just think the bolt is a little stickier than it needs to be. Is there anybody in north-central indiana that would be a good choice to help me here? I'm a little worried about going to just anybody. I had a bad experience with a gun stores "gunsmith". (High school shop students could do better.)

I don't have much money into this gun and don't want to put a whole lot into it, I'd just like for it to run a little better. These are a common action and I think it would be a simple fix. Any help would be appreciated.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The best way, and the most fun, is the Colonel Cooper method. Sit in front of your TV and when a target is displayed on the screen, raise the rifle up, work the action, and squeeze the trigger. Dry firing of course.

Or just work the action about 38,639 times and the bolt and the trigger will smooth right up. No need to spend money on a gunsmith...

I'm not joking. This is the best way to become intimately familiar with your military Mauser and smooths it up too. When it is smooth enough, disasemble and clean the bolt and lug recesses beccause there will be real fine metal in there. Lube everything and it is good to go.

When my kids were at home, they always knew I got a new Mauser because of all the snapping in, going on in front of the basement TV. New rifles get carried and handled for weeks after acquizition.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Good advice above.

A good place to start:

The Mauser Bolt Actions - A Shop Manual Mauser Manual - Heritage Gun Books

Collecting and Shooting the Mauser Rifle - Bolt Disassembly and Reassembly

If you haven't already, disassemble the bolt and shroud/striker assembly fully and clean the bejesus out of it, inside and out. Be careful if using a cleaning rod to clean the interior of the bolt, if the patch gets jammed up you won't be happy.

Crap inside, around and under the extractor ring will make them feel particularly rough. If you need a set of extractor pliers, I'll loan you some for the cost of shipping.

The bolt retaining pin, shown best in illustration #6, is often a gunk reservoir (rotate it while pushing in, you'll see the tab) and clean it, the spring and the recess. Occasionally if somebody has been playing around, they'll mix up the magazine release spring with this spring.

Same thing is true with mixed up cocking pieces between rifles, a mismatch of parts can cause a considerable "overcock" situation and make them feel rougher/longer when closing the bolt.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I just took the bolt apart and cleaned it using the instructions from fireball. I think it helped a lot, it deffinately needed cleaned. I havn't shot it yet so i don't know if it helped enough to satisfy me. I have cycled the bolt a lot. I guess i could just keep it up and that helps even more.

Thanks a lot for the replys. I don't think i'm expecting too much from an old battle rifle. It just needs a little more fine tuning.

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    Good advice above.

A good place to start:

The Mauser Bolt Actions - A Shop Manual Mauser Manual - Heritage Gun Books

Collecting and Shooting the Mauser Rifle - Bolt Disassembly and Reassembly

If you haven't already, disassemble the bolt and shroud/striker assembly fully and clean the bejesus out of it, inside and out. Be careful if using a cleaning rod to clean the interior of the bolt, if the patch gets jammed up you won't be happy.

Crap inside, around and under the extractor ring will make them feel particularly rough. If you need a set of extractor pliers, I'll loan you some for the cost of shipping.

The bolt retaining pin, shown best in illustration #6, is often a gunk reservoir (rotate it while pushing in, you'll see the tab) and clean it, the spring and the recess. Occasionally if somebody has been playing around, they'll mix up the magazine release spring with this spring.

Same thing is true with mixed up cocking pieces between rifles, a mismatch of parts can cause a considerable "overcock" situation and make them feel rougher/longer when closing the bolt.

Fireball,
    Thanks for the information!!! I have a Czech Vz24 Mauser rifle and I didn't know how to dissassemble the bolt. Thank you again!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just took the bolt apart and cleaned it using the instructions from fireball. I think it helped a lot, it deffinately needed cleaned. I havn't shot it yet so i don't know if it helped enough to satisfy me. I have cycled the bolt a lot. I guess i could just keep it up and that helps even more.

Thanks a lot for the replys. I don't think i'm expecting too much from an old battle rifle. It just needs a little more fine tuning.
    It may take a few cleanings to get better. My 1940 98K gets better every time I shoot it and clean it. Especially the last time I went to a Bobcat steel Demo. Put so many rounds through the gun the barrel would fry bacon! And I still got more crap out of the bolt and other parts of the gun. And no you're not expecting too much out of an old battle rifle. Mausers, Mosins, SMLE, and Garands are built like tanks. Mine will still hit an X at 200yrds! :ar15:

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    My Yugo M48 clone is smooth as butter, seriously, but it wasn't when I got it.

Bolt disassembly and interior cleaning go a LONG way. After I did that, it was a HUGE improvement.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Thanks for the replys! I gotta admit, once i did it, this was really easy! Some parts take a little muscle, but nothing is too technical. It didn't seem like there was much of any way to screw it up. Just make sure you follow the instructions exactly, you have to have the safety where it goes for certain steps.

Has anybody pulled the trigger group out of theres? What is that process like?

22collector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Warsaw
    I also have a Czech VZ24 but have not noticed any problems with it when I shoot it.
    Should I be watching for something in particular to stay ahead of any problems?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    I also have a Czech VZ24 but have not noticed any problems with it when I shoot it.
    Should I be watching for something in particular to stay ahead of any problems?

I have never had any problems with my Czech VZ24. I only thing I find annoying about it are the front and rear sights. I am right handed but left eye dominant, and it makes it difficult for me accurately shoot more than 100 meters.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Thanks for the disassembly links, got a Yugo M48 Mauser that's never been fired yet, and you can't even hear the click when you pull the trigger, cosmoline does what it's supposed to do, but I still hate the stuff... Gotta strip the bolt and clean it then should be good to go!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom