• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I really want a German K98 Mauser. In the past year or two though, I have seen prices really start increasing fairly dramatically. So, I have a question. What makes these more desirable than say, a Yugo, Turk, Persian, etc.? Are the German Mausers more accurate? I'm guessing a Swedish 6.5x55 would be more accurate than a K98. Is it just because they're the "original" Mauser? What is it about them that commands a higher price than the others? If it's strictly based on "collectability" as opposed to quality/accuracy, then maybe I need to rethink things. :dunno:

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I think it's because they were used by the German Wehrmacht in the Second World War. There is lots of history in German K98s.
    Part of it may be that the Mauser was invented in Germany. It would stand to reason people would want from where they were invented.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think it's because they were used by the German Wehrmacht in the Second World War. There is lots of history in German K98s.
    Part of it may be that the Mauser was invented in Germany. It would stand to reason people would want from where they were invented.
    See, that's kind of what I am starting to think. While a little bit of nostalgia is okay, I do like to shoot my old rifles, not just put them on display. If a K98 isn't going to be noticeably higher in quality or accuracy than say a Yugo M48 or M24/47, I'm going to have a hard time justifying paying double or triple the price just to get a German. Okay, maybe double, but not triple... :):

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Aren't some Yugo Mausers captured and refurbished German Mausers?

Grandpa's Preduzece 44 marked Mauser is covered in Wafenampts.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I think you're probably right. I'm just thinking strictly of the ones that were of Yugoslavian manufacture though.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Mausers are a subject you could sit here discussing until the end of time. There are soooooooo many variants even within the different countries of origin that its impossible to address all the facets of this subject with just a one liner. The answer to the question of what Mauser is "best" is relative to your reason for purchasing it. Do you want a base for a build? Do you want a collector piece? Do you want an old shooter to drag along with your Mosin? Etc.

As far as German Mausers go, some are actually of lesser quality. Any made towards the end of the second world war and some made in specific locations have some serious quality control issues due to expedient manufacture or slave labor or both. The real thing people covet about the German Mausers is the history. Most of them were actually used and used hard. Plus, they have the nifty little eagle proofmarks.

The best all around Mausers I have ever seen are ones that were manufactured in Germany for foreign markets or ones made in Sweden (basically any that were factory chambered in 6.5mm). The best for builds always were the Turks or Czechs because they tended to follow the original '98 design pretty closely (meaning aftermarket parts would fit both) and were often more cost effective. Yugos are good quality but are a little more of a pain to build as their dimensions are shorter than a true '98. This is a pitfall that can trip up someone looking for a base to build from as the difference cannot be judged just by looking.

Either way, back to my question: Whatre you buying it for?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mausers are a subject you could sit here discussing until the end of time. There are soooooooo many variants even within the different countries of origin that its impossible to address all the facets of this subject with just a one liner. The answer to the question of what Mauser is "best" is relative to your reason for purchasing it. Do you want a base for a build? Do you want a collector piece? Do you want an old shooter to drag along with your Mosin? Etc.

As far as German Mausers go, some are actually of lesser quality. Any made towards the end of the second world war and some made in specific locations have some serious quality control issues due to expedient manufacture or slave labor or both. The real thing people covet about the German Mausers is the history. Most of them were actually used and used hard. Plus, they have the nifty little eagle proofmarks.

The best all around Mausers I have ever seen are ones that were manufactured in Germany for foreign markets or ones made in Sweden (basically any that were factory chambered in 6.5mm). The best for builds always were the Turks or Czechs because they tended to follow the original '98 design pretty closely (meaning aftermarket parts would fit both) and were often more cost effective. Yugos are good quality but are a little more of a pain to build as their dimensions are shorter than a true '98. This is a pitfall that can trip up someone looking for a base to build from as the difference cannot be judged just by looking.

Either way, back to my question: Whatre you buying it for?
    I guess I would have to say I'm buying it as a shooter. Not necessarily a "beater", but it doesn't have to be all matching, mint condition either. Not interested in sporterizing it or anything like that. Funny you should mention the Swedish 6.5's because I'm actually thinking about one of those too. Saw a Husqvarna M96 (I think) that appeared to be in good shape, with brass disc intact and threaded barrel. The only drawback I can see to the Swede is the ammo is a little more expensive than 8mm, but I'm aware that they're known for their accuracy. Really I don't think I've heard anything but good things about the Swedes.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    If you want a decent shooter and dont want to change anything on it, a Swede is the only way to fly (there are some others that are made the same way, like Argentinians, but they arent as common). If I was to get a Mauser for a shooter, it would most certainly be a Swede. They are manufactured to extremely close tolerances. Their working surfaces are babys-ass smooth. Their sights are of superior quality. As if all these werent enough, the round is far superior to any other Mauser round. Plus, the 6.5 was never manufactured with corrosive primers. This is why you see so many Swedes that are still in great shape. The ammo might not be available in bulk surplus, (at least not anywhere Ive seen), but its no more expensive than any other conventional centerfire and most large companies manufacture rounds for it. Id take that "Husky" you were looking at in a heartbeat if the price isnt outrageous.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you want a decent shooter and dont want to change anything on it, a Swede is the only way to fly (there are some others that are made the same way, like Argentinians, but they arent as common). If I was to get a Mauser for a shooter, it would most certainly be a Swede. They are manufactured to extremely close tolerances. Their working surfaces are babys-ass smooth. Their sights are of superior quality. As if all these werent enough, the round is far superior to any other Mauser round. Plus, the 6.5 was never manufactured with corrosive primers. This is why you see so many Swedes that are still in great shape. The ammo might not be available in bulk surplus, (at least not anywhere Ive seen), but its no more expensive than any other conventional centerfire and most large companies manufacture rounds for it. Id take that "Husky" you were looking at in a heartbeat if the price isnt outrageous.
    I'm really tempted by the Swede. I actually have an Argentine Model 1891, but it's been sporterized. In fact I almost picked up another one at the 1500 (unsporterized), but the crest had been scrubbed, so I passed.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was in the same situation a year ago. I wanted a bolt action bad narrowed it between the Mauser and Mosin. Went to the lgs and asked if they had any. They pulled out a numbers match 1940 K98K that needed some work and a 1950's era Mosin that was beautiful.

I fondled both, having never played with a bolt gun I had no idea what I was doing, but I wanted a German made used in WWII. They had the K98K priced at $300 which I thought was high because the front of the stock was loose and sliding around, at the time I had no idea what this was, but of course this was a 'duffle cut'. It was missing the upper handguard and cleaning rod.

None of that bothered me since it was numbers match so I was ready to buy at $300 and the guy said since I took my time and thought about it, I walked around the store debating with myself for 1/2 hour, he would do $250+ tax. I walked out happy and posted some pix on a surplus rifle forum and all the guys there said I did great and valued it at $800+ in its shape at the time. I have since collected a missing handgaurd, repro cleaning rod, found a 1940 bayonet with non matching scabbard and repaired the duffle cut as I love shooting this rifle. Still need to find a sling.

For me it's all about the history and I wanted something from the bad guy side. Its a blast to shoot at 100 yds and nail water jugs! Action is smooth as silk. Trigger is long and creepy but it's a sweet shooter. Ammo is getting difficult to find, I have been shooting the Remington and Winchester soft tip with good results. Have not been brave enough to shoot corrosive. Would be great to get ahold of some Seliot and Beloit 196 grain, but it's sold out everywhere... Whatever you choose you will have a blast!

Jon

P.S. Sorry for the book... I just love that rifle!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

More likely that the nazis had the yugoslavs making rifles for them which would explain the stamps. They had others in captured countries making weapons, ie Belgians making Browning HPs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was in the same situation a year ago. I wanted a bolt action bad narrowed it between the Mauser and Mosin. Went to the lgs and asked if they had any. They pulled out a numbers match 1940 K98K that needed some work and a 1950's era Mosin that was beautiful.

I fondled both, having never played with a bolt gun I had no idea what I was doing, but I wanted a German made used in WWII. They had the K98K priced at $300 which I thought was high because the front of the stock was loose and sliding around, at the time I had no idea what this was, but of course this was a 'duffle cut'. It was missing the upper handguard and cleaning rod.

None of that bothered me since it was numbers match so I was ready to buy at $300 and the guy said since I took my time and thought about it, I walked around the store debating with myself for 1/2 hour, he would do $250+ tax. I walked out happy and posted some pix on a surplus rifle forum and all the guys there said I did great and valued it at $800+ in its shape at the time. I have since collected a missing handgaurd, repro cleaning rod, found a 1940 bayonet with non matching scabbard and repaired the duffle cut as I love shooting this rifle. Still need to find a sling.

For me it's all about the history and I wanted something from the bad guy side. Its a blast to shoot at 100 yds and nail water jugs! Action is smooth as silk. Trigger is long and creepy but it's a sweet shooter. Ammo is getting difficult to find, I have been shooting the Remington and Winchester soft tip with good results. Have not been brave enough to shoot corrosive. Would be great to get ahold of some Seliot and Beloit 196 grain, but it's sold out everywhere... Whatever you choose you will have a blast!

Jon

P.S. Sorry for the book... I just love that rifle!

Sounds like you got a great deal! I already have 3 other 8mm Mausers (two Turks and a Yugo M48A) and I've mostly shot corrosive milsurp ammo, but I always give them a rinse at the range then a regular cleaning as soon as I get home, so no issues with it. I'm really leaning toward the Swede for now. Going to look at one this evening to see if I can come to an agreement on price. :)

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest

I know the swiss rifles did not use corrosive ammo, but the swedish did as i still have some myself. Only thing about the swedish is they were made to last with tighter tolerances and you cant beat the 6.5 round for accuracy if you do your part. i collect mausers and have about every type and model made, several k98"s, turkish,spanish, brazilian, argentine ect. but i think as a shooter the swedish is the best, followed by the 7x57.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know the swiss rifles did not use corrosive ammo, but the swedish did as i still have some myself. Only thing about the swedish is they were made to last with tighter tolerances and you cant beat the 6.5 round for accuracy if you do your part. i collect mausers and have about every type and model made, several k98"s, turkish,spanish, brazilian, argentine ect. but i think as a shooter the swedish is the best, followed by the 7x57.
    I wound up passing on the Husqvarna. When I checked the bore, it was pretty dirty. It may have cleaned up just fine, but my thought was that if someone would put it up for sale like that (it was on consignment), then I have to wonder how well they took care of it when they had it.

I went ahead and ordered a Carl Gustafs from Allan's Armory and it will arrive Monday. :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just found this thread while looking for a k98 myself. What ever happened? What gun did you go with?
    Oh man... I've gone with several Mausers since I started this thread! :): Got the Swede... another Swede... then another Swede (M38), 5 Spanish variants, a German K98, a Turk, a Czech VZ 24, Israeli K98 made by FN...

HomeGrownNUgly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Portage In
    Wow I guess you were serious about mausers. I cant seem to find a k98 in northwest Indiana. I bought a yugo 24-47 off of samco global. Can't wait to try it. Glad you're happy.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Oh man... I've gone with several Mausers since I started this thread! :): Got the Swede... another Swede... then another Swede (M38), 5 Spanish variants, a German K98, a Turk, a Czech VZ 24, Israeli K98 made by FN...

ha ha ha ha, This one of great Cautionary tales to all you poor young lads out there who think they can choose one Surplus rifle over another.. Just get them both, you will end up with them both and more before long..

Top Bottom